THE COMIC STRIP: "Misfits"

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

07 July 2005
THE COMIC STRIP: "Misfits"

Howdy! I tried launching a comic of the same name a few months ago that never got beyond the first page. I'm trying it again, though with a few changes.

1. I'll write the script first before starting the art.
2. It will be a 4-panel strip rather than a full comic page. Should be easier and quicker to post new strips. That's what I'm hoping anyway.
3. My black bear character (Guy) will be a polar bear. Here are some character sketches of him:

As before, I expect the style will evolve over time.

Also keep an eye out for "King of Beasts", a comic I'm working on with augustus.

07 July 2005
just a reminder...the bear should have the same porportions from all angles! intreseted to see how this turns out, keep us posted!

[expecting the unexpected is boring...life is a suprise...enjoy it.]

07 July 2005
I'm interested to see how this goes! Any chance of a little synopsis of the script?

07 July 2005
Talking

Ooh, how about adding flying cats in space ships? My friend loves your avatar so much, she has threatened to usurp it just for her own enjoyment ~ I have to agree, the flying cat is just adorable!

~Rebeccak

Korpus School of Art + Gallery
www.korpus-la.com
Facebook Page | Blog
korpus.info@gmail.com
Downtown Los Angeles

07 July 2005
Oo, replies! I had some internet trouble last night and didn't see that the thread posted properly.

captain chapo -- Good point! I'll have to be more careful about that. I'll use the proportions of the bear on the left. Pear shaped bears are funny.

paperclip -- In a nutshell, the Bear's name is Guy (rhymes with "tree") and he's from Montreal.
He lives in Boston with an uptight rabbit named Jack.
Jack's brother Skippy just got kicked out by his parents and just showed up on Jack's doorstep. Can these three grown men live together without driving each other crazy?

rebeccak -- Thanks! The cat was a minor character in my Grand Space Opera entry. I was thinking of writing a cat neighbor into the strip. He's a pet owned by the Wicca practicing landlady, but she doesn't know that he smokes. Maybe I'll give him a flying saucer, but maybe he'll build one himself while his mistress is off for a day trip to Salem.

Thanks for lookin'!

07 July 2005

Corrected. I like his legs better now.
Thought I'd give him a fleur-de-lis (leys) tattoo -- he's from Quebec.
Next I'll start on the rabbit brothers.

07 July 2005
After the wonderfully bizarre first strip last time (the one with the love heart boxer shorts!) i'm gonna be really interested in seeing how this goes!

My only crit with your characater design is where the bear is carrying his weight. He might look more 'bear-y' carrying his weight lower down.... i know Baloo from the Jungle book isn't necessarily the look you're going for, but he's a good example:

Just a thought... hope you don't mind...

08 August 2005
Banner!

I came up with this ideer for a title banner. I started by doing head shots but didn't like them so much. I realized that for skippy, one of the rabbits, he's always wearing his Hawaiian shirt. I figured that since people try to wear their personalities on their tshirts it could make for a good representation.

duddlebug - Thanks for the suggestion. Guy the polar bear is in his '20's. I'm not sure but I think his youth helps him to carry his weight a bit heigher. Anyway, I expect his look will change through repeated drawings. Thanks for the suggestion.

08 August 2005
Strip #1

After several false starts I'm finally happy with this strip. Hopefully it will be easier the second and third time around. Enjoy! (hopefully) Crits and comments are always welcome.

Last edited by Ilikesoup : 08 August 2005 at 05:32 AM.

08 August 2005
hahaha, great!

good job ilikesoup! I specially like the 2nd frame, and the bags/wrinkles under his eyes.... hehehe

keep us updated, it looks very good!

by the way, am I wrong if I think I've seen the tshirt in middle of your banner somewhere else?

08 August 2005
Hi
Any word on updates?
-R

This message does not reflect the opinions of the US Government

08 August 2005
Strip #2!

Everyone, I'd like you to meet Skippy. Skippy, this is everyone.
I'll write more tomorrow. Now it's time for bed. <--yawn!

08 August 2005
Strip#2 with background

Well, it kind of bothered me that there was no background in this comic so there was no indication that they're in the hallway of an apartment building. Hopefully this makes it all better, but I'd love to hear peoples' opinions.

elmasfeo -- Thanks for the comment. Sorry the reply is so late.
As for the tshirt in the middle, it's the Boston Bruins logo. I intend to drop references to NHL hockey. Some of it will be obscure -- if readers are in the dark the other characters will probably be, too. With other references I hope I can sell some people on the great sport of hockey.

. . . or did you mean the Hawaiian shirt?

08 August 2005
Hey this lookks great man, line art is really good looking and funny!

Can't wait to se these entries rolling on.
modelling practice #1

08 August 2005
Its looking good... and funny!

Thread Closed share thread