ReUsing bones and indipendant rigging.

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

View Poll Results: Do you reuse riggs?
All the time, I've rigged only once and never did again 2 18.18%
Sometimes, though i reuse where possible 3 27.27%
Here and there though i like to rigg where i can 0 0%
Never! a new rigg for a new character! 6 54.55%
Voters: 11. You may not vote on this poll

THREAD CLOSED

07 July 2005
ReUsing bones and indipendant rigging.

Hey there guys... i wanted to know... how many of you rigg your bones indipendantly of the mesh? How many reuse riggs that you made some time ago and why? I'm trying to find the average workflow of the C4D user.

07 July 2005
Its to much of a pain in the butt to do this with C4D right now. I think one of Maxons biggest problems to over come is the bone system they use right now.

07 July 2005
Howdy,

Well, I'll reuse an existing rig if the character is fairly similar, but since I'm using my own rigging plugin (CD IK Tools), it's a bit easier for me to adjust an existing rig to fit.

Adios,
Cactus Dan

cactus3d.com, cactus3d-Plugins, CD Character Plugins forum

07 July 2005
I seem to always make a new rig..but the Xpressso writing is quicker each time.

Best
BT

07 July 2005
can really only recomend Dan's tools

07 July 2005
Well, I think that would require resizing bones and for that, I think you need MOCCA's Bone Tool, and I have yet to use that without swearing profusely.

Then again, I only have two models rigged right now, and they are both very different. Even the next dino I'm planning on will be different than those two.

And I use Dan's tools for all my rigging.

07 July 2005
Howdy,

Originally Posted by bobzilla: Well, I think that would require resizing bones and for that, I think you need MOCCA's Bone Tool, and I have yet to use that without swearing profusely.

Then again, I only have two models rigged right now, and they are both very different. Even the next dino I'm planning on will be different than those two.

And I use Dan's tools for all my rigging.

Actually, Bob, you can turn off the "Use IK" switches and turn on the "Keep Bones Connected" and "Keep Next Connected" switches and then resize the length paramater of the bones or drag the orange handles.

Adios,
Cactus Dan

cactus3d.com, cactus3d-Plugins, CD Character Plugins forum

07 July 2005
That's right, Dan. I had forgotten about that.

That may help get me started on the next rig. Maybe I can reuse parts of the rig. The leg and foot set up on the quad dino I did came out really good. Lots of flexibility all the foot rolls and toes rolls I could ever want!

07 July 2005
I usually create a new rig for a new character, but I "steal" stuff from previous rigs that have worked for me. I love CD's tools which I have only discovered the joys of very recently.

-K

07 July 2005
I always try something new for each rig & I love different ways of displaying the controls & arranging them - always gotta try & take the best idea from each rig !

07 July 2005
wow!

the way everyone just goes on and on about the cd TOOLS. It's a shame that i'm in zimbabwe! I'd have bought them!

Unless you can send'em over!

I do agree that MOCCA is a pain in the wrong areas. I've been at it for weeks before i got it right! I was considering learning XSI on teh side.

07 July 2005
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread