Skateboarder: Normal mappage

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 07 July 2005   #1
Skateboarder: Normal mappage

Many people have probably seen this guy in my normal map tutorial, which is now finished, see this thread for the tutorial.
http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?t=253319

This was my art test for Neversoft. I had to make the character under 1200 and the accessories in another 400. I used three 1024 maps, color, normal, spec. I ended up getting the job, and I'll be moving August 3rd to most likely work on GUN.

The finished shebang

The high poly

The low poly
http://www.poopinmymouth.com/3d/skater_lopoly.jpg

Color
http://www.poopinmymouth.com/3d/skater_c.jpg

Normal
http://www.poopinmymouth.com/3d/skater_n.jpg

Specular (the specular I'm the least happy with, it was a little rushed and I might revisit it at a later time)
http://www.poopinmymouth.com/3d/skater_s.jpg

And a fun Gif of the different passes.
http://www.poopinmymouth.com/net/cgchat/skater_10.gif

Figured I'd post it and do a little pimpage. I'm open to critique and criticism, but it will be for implementing on my next project, as I'm ready to put this one to bed.

www.mr-chompers.com

Old 07 July 2005   #2
The high poly and normal mapping turned out really beautiful, his face is really great, and I especially love the buttons and button holes for the collar, that is a GREAT detail. I think the pose is pretty weak, but I understand if you are more trying to show off the model, most good poses obscure important parts! I think the water bottle is pretty weak too.

Of course, by weak I mean perfectly fine, just not as stunning as the rest! Really nice work!

Old 07 July 2005   #3
i like the modelling, nice work, i'm not quite sure with the textures, they are looking pretty simple

but however tahts personal taste, how large is he supposed to be? he is about 6 - 6.5 heads high, thats pretty small, compared to his head, the shoulders seem to be not wide enough, i'm not really suree about the proportions but something seems to be a bit off

some timelapsed videos

Old 07 July 2005   #4
Oh yeah, I forgot to mention. I was given a concept, which had very stylized proportions. Large head, long torso, and short legs. It was to match the proportions of their last game.

Neox, most maps for next gen content are very simple. I'm not claiming mine are perfect, but there is very little info in each map, as the engine provides the majority of information after combining them all. Rather than looking at the individual maps, look at the final image of them being combined.

www.mr-chompers.com

Old 07 July 2005   #5
Originally Posted by Poopinmymouth: Neox, most maps for next gen content are very simple.

so yours have to be that simple too?
so show us how you want it to look in game, if it is like in the upper image, then i'm not a fan of it, because its just a simple diffuse map with normalmapping doing the whole job, i don't like that the classic texturing methods are dying because of normal maps that can only try to get that look, to me it doesn't look quite realistic and stylisticly it's boring, everything looks the same, all the same greyish shadows, but as i said that is just my personal favor, you did good and solid work on this guy, the look is just not my kind of thing

some timelapsed videos

Old 07 July 2005   #6
You have to walk before you can run. Right now most games only have support for pixel shader 1.0, and 3dsmax is the same way. I personally like the style of old school texture maps myself, but I don't get to drive the direction of the industry. Normal maps, whether you like them or not, are dynamic, and that alone can make them look much better than old school texture maps. It's where still shots, and playing the game to see them in motion can make all the difference.
Eventually we will get more control over shadow color, falloff, true reflection instead of specular color, and more, but until then, we gotta make use of the tech we got. Not to mention I had a concept I was trying to match if I wanted to get the job.

I appreciate your critique, but it does sound like it's mostly personal preference.

www.mr-chompers.com

Old 07 July 2005   #7
Originally Posted by Poopinmymouth: I ended up getting the job, and I'll be moving August 3rd to most likely work on GUN.

Congrats, that's the kind of stuff I like to hear. Nice texturing, I am not a fan of the model, but that is not something you had a choice on. Well, I guess it is a way better concept than something I saw someone else had to do: 50 Cent (the MTV guy).

Old 07 July 2005   #8
How long did they give you to do this?

Old 07 July 2005   #9
it's not the normalmap that i dislike its the textures beneath them, did you ever tried to mix that normalmapping with classic textures? maybe it will work (as i said in several threads, i should try that on zorro when i find the time) maybe it won't, maybe a bit more prelighting and colorvariation would help... if the shader doesn't support what you meantioned, why not try to fake it with the textures?

some timelapsed videos

Old 07 July 2005   #10
I think unreal 3 choose that method. The models loook very good and I am shure, their diffusemaps have more lightinformation than doom3 and all the other "plastic" games!

my current project uses that method tooo, I willl post some pictures the next weeks (time D: )

Old 07 July 2005   #11
Thumbs up

Glad to here you got the job I think it turned out pretty cool. Maybe I have bad tastes though because I seem to be going against the grain lol I'm pretty impressed by the normal mapping in this for some reason though, it seems to look alot more like geometry whereas alot of people who use Normal Maps, it is kinda easy to tell it's normal mapped. Good Job.

Game Assets Thread

Personal Site

Old 07 July 2005   #12
This looks great poop. I love the high poly model. Nice and clean.

I have to agree with Adam Atomic on the water bottle.

Old 07 July 2005   #13
Ditto about the time frame - how long?

Highpoly model looks really good btw.

Old 07 July 2005   #14
Slick result poop!...and Congrats on landing the job...btw....I saw the GUN trailer yesterday morning, and I was pleased to see it is a mature title with excellent horse gameplay......it definitely looks like a goodun....
DWIV
Never enough time!!...

3dblog

Old 07 July 2005   #15
Tony the tiger says Ggggrrreeat!

i really like this, must pick ur brain about normal mapping when u get a moment.

Great stuff again.

Col

Thread Closed share thread