Powerbomb (Critiques needed)

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

10 October 2002
Powerbomb (Critiques needed)

Folks, here is an attempt at a sorta cartoony powerbomb. I've been staring at this damn thing for WAY too long. I know I missed some detail that needs to be changed. Please...help me. This is just a test for a wrestler's entrance video that I'll be doing in the future....WAY in the future.

::Wincing:: Be gentle. This is my first piece I've posted.

http://www.geocities.com/grayscale88/PowerBomb

Last edited by Grayscale : 10 October 2002 at 11:30 PM.

10 October 2002
Busted link?

10 October 2002
Rogue,
right click and save target as...
I don't have an official website, so I had to use geocities(which doesn't support movie links). So, just right click and save it. Should work. If not..let me know.

10 October 2002
Nice Grayscale!!

It's soo cool to see IK Joe being animated!!

Anyway.. first of all, I would change the colors of one of them (just a little) so there is some distinctions between them.. this way it's easier to see when they are so close together.

The motion is there, I think you just need a little bit more weight (specially on the guy standing up) he lifts the other and doesn't really feel the weight of it..

Just a little bit more follow through all over and you would have it.

Great stuff!!!

Keep it going

Goosh

10 October 2002
Goosh,
You're right, I was just looking at it and he needs to bend his knees more when the guy is on his shoulders. I'll get on that and change the colors of one guy. Then I'll repost. Thanks. Any other critiques from anyone?

10 October 2002
Ok, that worked. It's a good start. Just need some tweaking here and there. As goosh said, there seems to be a lack of weight when he picks the other guy up. He gets him up there really quickly. Have his waist shift some more and maybe even step to correct his balance. I'd also have his feet not symmetrical. Offset them a bit. This will help to keep his balance and the waist will have larger area to move and you'll be able to shift the weight from one leg the other. I'd also have him step when he slams the guy down...like he's putting everything into it.

When the guy hits the ground, I think his bounces is a little too fast and jerky. Try slowing just a little bit and smoothing the curves.

Lastly, have his hands lag behind the forearms, and the forearms behind the hand. This will make the motion look a little more fluid. Look at Frinsklens walk cycle and watch his hands. It looks really smooth because of the overlapping motion.

Post your update. Looking good.

10 October 2002
All good comments above.. definitely need to see more of a sense of weight. Also, with the guy who lands, he's heading in a particular direction when he's thrown.. away from the guy throwing him. However, when he bounces, it looks like he's bouncing straight up instead of continuing the motion. Watch it from a side view and see if he's indeed bouncing up, or continuing the direction away from the characted tossing him.

Also, you've got quite a lot of twinning going on (twinning is when you have both sides of the character doing the same thing at the same time). Try having the character land on his left hip 2 frames before his right hip hits the ground.. this can lead to a much more interesting landing..

in addition, if you watch real wrestlers when they hit the ground, they always pop back up, throwing one arm in the air & one hand in the small of their back to sell the hit. Try doing something with your guy after he hits the ground to give him some emotion.

-jason

10 October 2002
Folks,
Thanks for all the critiques. I'm going to spend alot of time on this before I re-post. I will post an updated version by the end of the week (hopefully). This was an early test of the powerbomb, and I tend to animate real fast....and sometimes miss something obvious...like the weight of the guy delivering the move.

My last job, I got used to animating fast and just dealing with what couldn't be fixed. The company knew nothing about character animation..our quota was 900 frames of finished character animation...per day!

Jason, I do watch wrestling (an am an avid fan), I'm going to be doing a wrestler's entrance in the near future. So, I'm testing the small clips I'm going to have the wrestler do on his Entrance Video. I've watched so many entrance videos where the wrestler is delivering their finishing move. So... I am just getting afew moves tested. I animated the "Edgecution" and will post it up sometime, though I may have to reanimate it because I'm not satisfied with the characters I used.

I want to Thank you all again for the critiques. I'll do my best to work the kinks out and get it posted this week.

10 October 2002
900 frames per day?

hehehe.. that's funny!!!

10 October 2002
Yes Goosh...900 frames a day... oh..and did I mention that was in Lightwave with only one level of undo? yeah....um...yeah... that was interesting. And they wondered why they got the basic movements with little subtle and overlapping action. I have some of the work with me...but, not sure if I can post it.

10 October 2002
yeah, i already told ya this, but here ya have a hardcopy

offset the feet. and while they're offsetted, try having the pelvis lift up and forward while he's lifting the guy....offset the hands on the guy lifting so they dont go back at the same time. u already fixed the back. ......ok on the other guy, lemme see.....do what jason said about having him keep going in the direction he was thrown.......offset everything thats settling down at the same time, have one hand hit, then maybe the head, then maybe the other hand. do the same with the feet.

later greyscale.

:xtreme:

10 October 2002
Hi,
I didnt have the time to read all the comments, so maybe I'm just repeating some of the advices. Anyway:

The animation lacks weight (I guess this has been said). When he raises the guy, all the body reaches the top position at the same time, it looks like he's lifting a rigid puppet. He's lifted too fast, by the way. Try making his legs shake to feel the weight more easily (this may look too cartoony for you, though). Add some overlap as well. And the way he bounces on the ground when he's thrown... It looks "unrealistic", I'm not sure why, maybe he bounces too fast. I dont like the way he opens his arms once he's thrown, too rigid.
If Rogue says "look at Frinsklen's walkcycle and watch his hands", you'd better do what he says.
Here it is...

Animators are supposed to watch cartoons... but you can always watch some wrestling instead if you like.

The poses seem right, I think this could end up looking pretty good.

Nice job. Let's see what's next...

oh, and change the colours of one of them, please.

Last edited by Frinsklen : 10 October 2002 at 08:21 PM.

10 October 2002
Thanks again guys for the critiques. I'll have an update by Friday. He now takes two steps backwards, and gets up on his tip toes right before he delivers the finishing blow. I think it looks 10x better then before..but I don't want to post the update since its not ALL completed. Thanks again.

11 November 2002
Alright, before I go any further, I wanted to check and see what you all though. He steps back because he is getting ready to plant the guy on his back, not because he is trying to compensate for the weight. Let me know.

*Save Target As*

http://www.geocities.com/grayscale88/Fixes.avi

Last edited by Grayscale : 11 November 2002 at 04:10 AM.

11 November 2002
Nice

Well I can help out with this one since I wrestled for 6 years.

OK first of all the guy who is dong the powerbomb is very nice.

But the guy who is getting picked up looks dead after he leaves the ground..
When ever a person is in mid air there backs are never arched backwards.. Its a defence thing.
Its hard to throw or pick someone up, but when you do it becomes so easy because you use the natural defence against them, a person will turtle up, keep there head closer to there chest, ready for impact. So when he gets picked up he should then start aiding the person picking himself up so he doesn't get slammed incorrectly and DIE!!!!
So it should be really hard for him to get picked up, but really easy for him to throw him after the guy is picked up..
Of course this is for real wrestling..
The WWF shit is fake so they dont have to worry about how they fall cause they get put down.

Does this make any sense???

This is just nit picking though, but something else to think about.
I can't belive how much wrestling has helped my animation perception though. Who woulda thunk it?
Later
Rudity.

Thread Closed share thread