Low Poly Environment WIP

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

08 August 2005
Thanks for the suggestion, right now Iím working on the lighting and its starting too look better....Iím not sure the sky would be polluted since the area has been abandoned for a long time....but ill definitely give it a try, always up for checking out different ideas!

08 August 2005
Ok iv set up some basic lighting, and sligtly grayed up the sky, let me know what you think.

08 August 2005
Damn.... this looks fantastic. Love the atmosphere. Reminds me a bit of some of the Halflife 2 levels.

08 August 2005
This is just great... No other words for it.

How many polys are you at?

08 August 2005
Looking really great.
The last update added a lot to the atmosphere.

I was thinking, is there any way to make it look more humid? I really don't know how to do it, but I think it'd enhance the scene a lot.
Good job.

08 August 2005
That is great work! You can export the map (from 3dsmax or xsi or what ever) to hl2! I bet it would look very great in there too .
If you know hl2 mapping (with hammer-editor), then polygon made windows are big mistake, but not if you only make 1 -3 models. From the first post i noticed the hl2 feeling .

Keep up with it, and i saw the mod of yours a very long time ago; i thought it was awsome, and still i do .

08 August 2005
Looks damn sweet, wouldnt mind having a run around in there, good luck on handing this project in, what are you doing your MA in anyways?

Gonna keep an eye on this one....
What it seems'
- Dean R Koontz -

www.shanefirth.com

08 August 2005
I'm not sure if H2 has anything that can make fog and render it quick and well, but having a low-hanging fog in this level would be cool.

Try creating a few puddles and dark spots on the ground, to add to the moist look. As right now it looks very dry. Maybe make the ground a tad darker.

Oh, and I think it'd be cool if you made a big crack going up the silo (uhhhh big tube thing--I'm having a brain fart) if just as a texture thing.

08 August 2005
I have to agree with Kaylon, It looks fine, but as already mentioned you might want to look at the size of your texture maps, as we still have to use very small textures. It is also beneficial to model in a way that the mesh can be well tri-stripped. Looking at your mesh (1st posting) there are a lot of areas that could be deleted, replacing these details on your texture will help it run smooooth

08 August 2005
Thanks for the great replies guys....ill post some more soon...

Stefander: The whole environment is around the 170,000 mark.

morphine: Interesting idea...I might play around with some low lying fog....

xX_eXiGe_Xx: yeah iv had parts running in hammer, iv constructed the environment in a way that will be quick and easy for engine import.

luciferous: thanks, its an MA in Digital Games.

tntcheats: yeah ill try out your ides, but once iv handed my project in...Ill work them in after for my show reel.

amoeba: I know what you mean but I am not working to a console spec. I started this project to the spec of the Unreal 2004 PC engine, which has almost all textures at 1024x1024, with some at 2048x2048. I still need to clean some meshes up, but since my first post I have done loads of optimizing so I donít think itís still a problem.

08 August 2005
The first game I worked on was for the PC using small textures. If you want to work in the industry it will be beneficial to you to create very low ploy models with limited texture sizes. While the next gení consoles can push more polys around you may need to work on a title for the DS for example.

08 August 2005
Yeah, I totally agree, however for this project I had to specifically stick to the spec of a chosen engine, which in this case was UT 2004. Besides if need be the textures can always be scaled down.

08 August 2005
Looking great!!

-Twitchy

Tip: Using reference is not a weakness. It's actually a sign of strength.

08 August 2005
Really great work, I love the dirt texture, really relistics, the trian on the other hand don'st really look that great and little primative.

08 August 2005
Wow, truly something else. I am very impressed by the level of detail in the lack of polygons.

Thread Closed share thread