Finished Game Art section

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 07 July 2005   #1
Finished Game Art section

Would be most beneficial for a multitude of reasons to have one...would be much appreciated if anything positive could come of this...

Kind Regards.
DWIV
Never enough time!!...

3dblog

Old 07 July 2005   #2
I vote for it and sign Please I implore the admins please do not close this one since the last one has been closed.

Cheers,

Rogelio Olguin

Edit: ALso here is the link on our game art wip section talking about this http://cgtalk.com/showthread.php?t=257634&page=1&pp=15 It is already up to 7 pages and growing fast.

Old 07 July 2005   #3
I vote and sign as well. I believe that the unique challenges presented by game art make it different enough from animation and traditional 3D modeling that it would be a boon to both the community at large and especially the existing game art community to have a Finished Works forum dedicated specifically to game art resources.

This forum would not have to be the same, special format of the other final submission areas, if those are too much work. A regular format forum would be just fine! Also it does not have to happen immediately, we are all reasonable people and we know that CGTalk is already crowded and the admins are very busy as it is. We would just like to have someplace visible to post the finished work that we are proud of sometime soon!

Old 07 July 2005   #4
agreed, got my support.

Old 07 July 2005   #5
Agreed. I sign too.

Old 07 July 2005   #6
Thumbs up

a Finished Game Art section is a great idea!
I'm up for whatever support I can give.

Old 07 July 2005   #7
I sign too

Old 07 July 2005   #8
Definitely would be a good addition to CG Talk. It would be nice to have it like the other finished gallery sections though. I like the thumbnail view you get when browsing the forum looking for a thread.

Old 07 July 2005   #9
"Thumbprint"

Old 07 July 2005   #10
we should have got one long time ago =\

Old 07 July 2005   #11
My vote too.

In my opinion, game art is the most interesting field right now for 3D. Full res stuff has become really stagnant, whereas game art is moving forward in leaps and bounds.

Old 07 July 2005   #12
Got my vote too!

Honestly the gameart WIP section is the only reason I come to cgtalk. Having a Finished gallery (even just be a normal forum... no special coding like the other finished galleries) would be very much appreciated and useful. Game art is important and very different than what's in the 3d stills gallery and often doesn't get the recognition it deserves because people don't understand it... even people in the finished 3d stills section don't think our gameart belongs there and really fantastic front page game models get 1 or 2 star ratings and are forgotten about by the ignorant.

It'd be fantastic if a mod who actually did game art could respond to this thread... atleast acknowledge that game art is different and posts of gameart in the 3d stills gallery can't survive and in comparison will probably not receive cgtalk awards. I mean, seriously why don't people like S-S have an award? and why does his thread in the finished gallery only have 3 stars?! because people pass it by... only people that responded were game artists who hang out in the the gameart WIP section.

Its just a shame that the gameart WIP forum is the only WIP/Critique forum that doesn't have a finished gallery to display how our work payed off.

Another thing that I mentioned in the other thread about this topic is that a finished gameart forum would be ideal for employers to lurk around and find potential employees. This would be fantastic for all of us and encourage us the work even harder. I'm sure art directors don't have all the time in the world to weed through all the WIP threads... this would make their lives a lil less hectic too I imagine.

anyway... enough rambling from me... for now

FREELANCE CHARACTER ARTIST
www.skrubbles.net
skrubbles@yahoo.com

Old 07 July 2005   #13
I agree

Old 07 July 2005   #14
agreed. game art is way too underrated on cgtalk. Which is why I usually post my game art elsewhere.

Old 07 July 2005   #15
It's not the same kind of 3D art as a limitless poly count, shaders and lighting, compleatly different. Another finished section is NEEDED.

Thread Closed share thread