Concept for 3D (woman yes)...Need Pointers I Guess...

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

07 July 2005
Question Concept for 3D (woman yes)...Need Pointers I Guess...

Hello people

I tried to get proportions right in this one, I don't really use any reference or what not, only a middle line for keeping symmetry. PLease go slow(not easy) on me, I never had any schooling for this.

She was drawn from memory on top of a scanned sketch. I'm going to model this one too.

I'm very eager to get some critique on the proportions, it's somehwat stylised but I would hope the 3d version to be better regarding realism. sideview should be up soon. (but better wait for some comments )

I liked the long neck so I kept it...I'm worried about the hands.
Since she's going to be modelled she needs to be 'flat' orthogonal and such...yaddah yaddah... I had troubles with parallax on my previous attempt. SO I would really like to know whether the spacial proportions are correct, I mean no perspective whatsoever. (though one imho)

I feel a bit bad about posting a new thread for this sort of content on this froum. Kind of feels like I'm mucking the place, it's so neatly ordered too. Should this be some place else?
modelling practice #1

Last edited by jmBoekestein : 07 July 2005 at 03:55 AM. Reason: dunno..uhm...

07 July 2005
Nice drawing, I like it! You might want to consider a more stylized body to match the neck and face? It looks a little odd right now, maybe just make the head bigger or something? Sometimes if parts of a "stylized" design are not exaggerated enough it can seem like a mistake. Hope that makes sense?

07 July 2005
jmBoekestein,
The sketch is very nice.
i don't have any formal training either but speaking from a personal preference point of view perhaps you should add a little mass around the shoulders/chest. From the looks she's working out regularly (or killing villains or smth) so bigger shoulders should be nice.

07 July 2005
i'm no expert, but i've been reading a figure drawing book by loomis and he breaks down male and female proportions very well. i'll try to apply some of the concepts he talks about.

it's pretty crude, so just stick w/ me. hahaha. if any of the more experienced peeps would like to help me out or point out if something i say is wrong, please do so!

here's your picture with my very ugly proportion lines on top of it. (i don't have a tablet, just using a mouse)

the RED LINES indicate the TRUE proportions, based on loomis' "ideallized 8 heads." that is, an idealized human body stands 8 heads tall, male or female. note, comic book and "heroic" characters may stand 8 1/2 or even 9 heads tall, but i think you're asking about realism and 8 heads is the accepted standard.

the meeting line of each of these sections is a landmark on the body.

the GREEN LINES indicate the areas where your drawing doesn't match up with the landmarks.

let's go through them.

1) the RED line should be at her heels, this is close enough, but consider that if her legs are together, her heels will extend past this line, and perhaps even past 8 1/2 and closer to 9 heads.

2) for an 8 head sized female figure, this line should be at the BOTTOM of the knees. your bottom of the knees rests at the 2 i've painted. so the shins are a bit short in proportion with the upper leg

3) this line should be at the middle of the upper leg/femur, looks good. BUT, the arms should end JUST above this line. yours are a bit short and this is the primary problem with the figure vs. realistic proportions.

4) this is the middle point of the model and it should be at the crotch, looks good.

5) this is where both the waist and elbows should be. your torso is almost spot on (the line rests right at the top of her hips now, should rest a bit higher), but your ARMS are short. i've marked in green 5 where your elbows are, they should be at red 5. you might also see that i've marked 5 1/5 in blue.

the green 5 1/3 shows that your arms are 1/3 head length too short. this might remedy the arms not ending at red 3 as well.

6) this is spot on. it should be at the widest point of the shoulders, right above the nipples. blue 6 1/3 is where it's supposed to be at the bottom of the breasts.

7) red 7 should be at the chin, and it is. this means the distance between your 6 and 7 is right, but what's in between is a little off. though i know you meant for the neck to be long, the blue 7 1/3 mark shows you where the shoulders would go on an ideal figure and where it is at the green 7 1/3.

the YELLOW lines are width measurers. the widest point of the shoulders should be two heads wide. the waist should be one head. the hips should be 1 1/2. and if the legs where together, the widest part of her calves would be 1 head wide.

overall this is a pretty accurate representation of the 8 headed female body, the torso, width and height, are almost spot on. the problems rest in the arms, and knowing that you did it w/ no reference and just symmetry is pretty impressive.

hope this helps a bit.

07 July 2005
whoa!,this shud have gone in the proportions thread!...

07 July 2005
Talking

jmBoekestein,

EDIT: DUH, didn't realize the Proportions were drawn over YOUR drawing! Sorry about that!

AWESOME DRAWING!

And actually, this whole post should probably go here:

2D CONCEPT ARTISTS - TRADITIONAL AND DIGITAL

Trying to keep things as streamlined as possible ~ Let me know if you guys need additional categories / threads in which to post!

~Thank you for posting this!

~Rebeccak

Korpus School of Art + Gallery
www.korpus-la.com
Facebook Page | Blog
korpus.info@gmail.com
Downtown Los Angeles

Last edited by rebeccak : 07 July 2005 at 01:10 PM.

07 July 2005
Wow! Thanks for the quick replies here!

The trianglekid, I'm skittish about these rules of thumb, but looking now I can trace back exactly where I went wrong. Pretty interesting, I wasn't at all sure about the arms for instance, and I had no 'terminator' for the foot region. Thanks for the extremely helpful overpaint. I'm going to try and fix them today and post an update tonight. I have loomis' pdf's, I'll skim through them too, I hadn't checked before.

Goldenarm, odd huh, these guides really work. when someone said before head a little bigger I had simply widened it. lol.

Pixelfloss, good idea, i had imagined her a gunslinger though with some sexy kicks. , I'll give her more muscle if it still appears elegant.

NOOB...yeah!...uh, yeah?

Oops, hadn't seen your post yet Rebecca. sorry about that. Thanks...I'll post other stuff in the specific threads from now on. Just not used to it, sorry.

thx again!!!
modelling practice #1

Last edited by jmBoekestein : 07 July 2005 at 12:55 PM.

07 July 2005
Talking

Though I know it's a stylized figure, one thing I would say is that the head is a bit smallish for the figure and that the neck is too curved, giving her a giraffe~like look. Her shoulders also look a bit crushed ~ the shoulders really should be the widest part of the arms, and right now they are smaller than the upper arm in terms of width.

The face / head is excellent ~ it just needs to be enlarged a bit.
Additionally, a major flaw is that the tips of one's fingertips, when one's arms are relaxed, typically fall nearly to the knee ~ her arms are rather short, even for a character ~ she seems to grow as you near her feet ~ this is something I do as well ~ but her lower body, especially the legs, are too elongated, at least in my opinion.

The legs are, however, proportional to THEMSELVES, and that is a quick Photoshop fix to shrink them a bit and reattach them to her body.

But the LINE quality is EXCELLENT, and you are to be commended for it!

I'll post more if I can think of anything.

~Rebeccak

www.korpus-la.com
Facebook Page | Blog
korpus.info@gmail.com
Downtown Los Angeles

07 July 2005
wow, thank you...

I had some troubles with those parts indeed. I'm not so good with photoshop though, but I'll get on it. Should have an update later on in the day.

modelling practice #1

07 July 2005
Arrow Orthographic Drawings For 3D Modeling - TRADITIONAL AND DIGITAL MEDIA

Guys,

This thread is dedicated to the study of ORTHOGRAPHIC DRAWINGS FOR 3D MODELING in TRADITIONAL AND DIGITAL MEDIA.

Please post your best FOOT / FEET STUDIES here!

Please post:

1. Your BEST WORK!
2. Medium used
3. Time spent to complete
4. A bit about your process

Thanks in advance for your posts!

~Rebeccak

www.korpus-la.com
Facebook Page | Blog
korpus.info@gmail.com
Downtown Los Angeles

07 July 2005
Talking

I'm sure it will be awesome! Can't wait to see the 3D model, too!

~Rebeccak

www.korpus-la.com
Facebook Page | Blog
korpus.info@gmail.com
Downtown Los Angeles

07 July 2005
I tried at all of the issues, just had trouble letting her shoulder and neck go...

I couldn't help but notice she looked like amidget after resizing her legs, so I did the lines too. I think I wasn't that far off at all. I'm guessing her crotch needs to be lower slightly on the line just under it. I can't see what else.

Any advice would be grately apprecitated...
And still, thanks for the big help...I found those lines tpo be pretty helpful in the end...I better start sketching like that I guess.

uh...the arms are still scruffy, I only moved those...
modelling practice #1

Last edited by jmBoekestein : 07 July 2005 at 10:05 PM.

07 July 2005
Talking

Lol, I guess we all get attached to our work ~ Plus, I'm sure things will change rather drastically once you start to model and tweak things ~ do you work in Max / Maya? Just curious

Good luck with this, and please post your final results

~Rebeccak

www.korpus-la.com
Facebook Page | Blog
korpus.info@gmail.com
Downtown Los Angeles

07 July 2005
I work in both but for this one I'm going to with max.

That bad huh? attached......well, maybe a little different then?

I'm also going to try Zbrsh to some extent, for normal mapping, she's for a game(idea).
modelling practice #1

07 July 2005
Talking

"Bad"? No way!

~Rebeccak

www.korpus-la.com
Facebook Page | Blog
korpus.info@gmail.com
Downtown Los Angeles

Thread Closed share thread