Noob question...be gentle

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

07 July 2005
Noob question...be gentle

I bet this has already been posted or asked in another thread, but I was hoping that someone would be kind enough to tell me what kind of script I should write for my first one. I tried a game script but I continued to get stuck. So I was wondering, should I start on a CG film script, continue with the game script, or try something else? It's not that I don't get ideas for how to write them, everything seems redundant or it's already been tried.

Thanks

07 July 2005
People telling stories exist since the birth of mankind, so the stories are redundant. They all tell the same stories, whatever the characters, the action, the epoch. Art is just a wheel that repeats on itself, but at each turn, it grabs some new elements, such as new design for props, new filming techniques, new ways of structuring stories. what's the difference between superman, neo, heracles ? They are just superhero stories. But the details change, the fashion of telling the story, the choices of graphic style. Creating a totally original piece of art is purely impossible. I am writing a story, and it is about a superhero (already done before me), who is fighting against a very powerful foe (already done before me), with the help of friends(my god, already done before me !). Every story is just a revisited greek tragedy or comedy. It's just taking a legacy, adding something of your own, and show it to other artists who will take your legacy, adding something of their own, and show it to you, who will take their legacy...

Well all this just to say : write what you want, just add some ideas, and it will be great !

(and i will probably take your legacy)

07 July 2005
thanks for the reply. I know it's hard to come up with something original, but that's what we all strive for. I guess I'll just have to write it and hope that it's original enough that someone will want to read it.

Thanks again for the words.

07 July 2005
I noticed that something that you don't feel original may be seem original for the others. That's because you saw it so many times that you know it perfectly, and it lost some of its originality. It's why this forum exist : ask others if they feel it nice. or not.

- Groutcho

07 July 2005
Yeah, you're right. I'm working on something that should be original as a game and a CG film. Is there a way I can contact you and tell you more info on it?

07 July 2005
Thumbs up

Yes there is : groutchoman@hotmail.com (mail & messenger)

07 July 2005
I hope none of this is too basic advise, but here goes:
It's been said, "To write about what scares you:
What frightening issues facing mankind today could be made into an intersting story?
Drug abuse, nuclear disaster, cloning, overpopulation, pollution, prejudice, or anything that really concerns you or keeps you up at night. Read the newspapers or watch the news for ideas.
It's also been said, "To write about what you know."
The more you know about a subject, the more you can develop a story around it. Do research on a subject you are interested in.
Sometimes a story starts with a great concept and builds from there. Sometimes it starts with a great character. If you have a great character you can develop a situation that can create conflict for him.
I know it's all been done before, but take an old idea and find a new slant to it.
Don't know if that helps at all. I hope so.

Last edited by webhead : 07 July 2005 at 04:38 AM.

07 July 2005
No, no, not at all. I'm looking for any help I can get. About writing about what frightens me, alot of political issues frighten me. The no media coverage of the congo wars in Africa. SO many things. I can write another story about these things.

07 July 2005
Glad if that helped. I should ask: Is this a full length 120 page script or a short story?
Is this a film you want to produce yourself or submit for professional consideration?
Also, have you had any schooling in screenwriting or are you just getting into it?
This would help people reading this thread sharpen the focus on what advice would be most helpful to you.

07 July 2005
At the moment, I'm thinking it's going to be a full, 120 page script. I'm new in the field, just trying some things that are new to me. I want to submit it for consideration if anyone will be able to view it, but I also want to produce it myself with some "free" help(I know it's very unlikely). The only problem I'm having is whether or not I should put mostly dialogue and take out much of the detail, or leave it..lost

Last edited by Saikin : 07 July 2005 at 01:08 AM.

07 July 2005
Okay. Do you know how to write in proper script form?
Do you understand screenplay structure?
Do you know about plotpoints, subplots, setup, confrontation, character bios, a treatment
and such things as these?
If not, I can give you some basics in screenwriting to help you along.

07 July 2005
There is no such thing as a correct fisrt script. I usually let the story tell me what format it wants. If all the images that come to me are cinematographic (close-up, slow travellings, etc) then I will go for a film script. If you have a great idea for a complex situation where many interesting directions could be explored, then I guess it's a good start for a game script.

As for getting stuck, that usually happens when you haven't had enough outside stimuli. You can visualize screenwriting as burning fuel; that fuel being everything you've encountered. If you run out, just drop it for a while. Go out, observe, read, etc. It will eventually start working in your head again. Chances are it's gonna be a lot better to.

The desired dialogue/detail ratio depends on the scene, the script type and whether you or someone else is going to be directing. If you direct it yourself ( I wouldn't aim for a feature in that case) you can put as much detail as you want. If someone else does, the main thing is to get the pace right, so that you keep their attention going.

I hope that helped..
Good luck.

07 July 2005
Originally Posted by Jean Genie: There is no such thing as a correct fisrt script. I usually let the story tell me what format it wants. If all the images that come to me are cinematographic (close-up, slow travellings, etc) then I will go for a film script. If you have a great idea for a complex situation where many interesting directions could be explored, then I guess it's a good start for a game script.

As for getting stuck, that usually happens when you haven't had enough outside stimuli. You can visualize screenwriting as burning fuel; that fuel being everything you've encountered. If you run out, just drop it for a while. Go out, observe, read, etc. It will eventually start working in your head again. Chances are it's gonna be a lot better to.

The desired dialogue/detail ratio depends on the scene, the script type and whether you or someone else is going to be directing. If you direct it yourself ( I wouldn't aim for a feature in that case) you can put as much detail as you want. If someone else does, the main thing is to get the pace right, so that you keep their attention going.

I hope that helped..
Good luck.

I agree that the first draft is usually that --a first draft, and you have to be willing to make mistakes and look at your work with a critical eye, as well as let others look at it critically.
Also, people have their own ways of approaching the creative process.
Still, there are steps that can be used in screenwriting that can make the process more productive and still keep the creative process involved.
Just as a glass can be filled with any liquid you desire, the structure of a screenplay is there to pour your story into. It keeps the story from spilling all over the place.
However you start out, you need to end up with a properly formatted screenplay or no professional will look at it.

Last edited by webhead : 07 July 2005 at 02:50 AM.

07 July 2005
Originally Posted by webhead: Okay. Do you know how to write in proper script form?
Do you understand screenplay structure?
Do you know about plotpoints, subplots, setup, confrontation, character bios, a treatment
and such things as these?
If not, I can give you some basics in screenwriting to help you along.

NOPE. I would appreciate some help though. I want to help direct but I'd rather someone who's directed before do it. I think this could be used for film at the moment then adapted to game format with some help. I appreciate all help on this.

07 July 2005
Directing. Well, that's a different animal all together.
And, since a Director has to have a script, we might as well start with screenwriting first.
If you like, I could post a few basic guidelines/hints for you to go by, however, if you're really serious about screenwriting, I really encourage you to do a couple things:
1) Take a class, or get a good book on screenwriting.
2) Read as many good professional scripts as you can. See how professionals do it.
You can find several on the internet.
That would be a good start.

Thread Closed share thread