"Dungeon Siege" cast announced... Dr. Uwe Boll strikes again

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

07 July 2005
"Dungeon Siege" cast announced... Dr. Uwe Boll strikes again

Quote: These days, it seems like a keyboard might be a more appropriate companion for the movie theater experience than a box of popcorn.

Following closely on the heels of recently announced movie versions of "American McGee's Alice" and "Max Payne," producer/director Uwe Boll has revealed the cast for his upcoming sword-and-sorcery epic "Dungeon Siege," based on the popular PC videogame of the same name.

Action hero Jason Statham will be transporting himself to medieval times for the film, alongside an impressive cast that includes Burt Reynolds ("The Longest Yard"), Ron Perlman ("Hellboy"), Matthew Lillard (the "Scooby-Doo" movies), John Rhys-Davies ("The Lord of the Rings" trilogy), Leelee Sobieski ("The Glass House") and Kristanna Loken ("Terminator 3"). Boll, a German director with a penchant for quickly cut cavalcades of carnage, previously mined the gaming community for the feature films "Alone in the Dark," "House of the Dead" and the upcoming "Bloodrayne," which also stars Loken.

"We're fortunate to have such a depth and breadth of talent on this picture; so many faces with great experience, talent and audience appeal," Boll said in a statement. "This picture's going to be a superb showcase for their talents." [...]

[...]Tony Ching, renowned for his work on effects-heavy films including "House of Flying Daggers" and "Hero," has signed on to oversee the film's action sequences[...]

MTV, Larry Carroll

>>Link<<

omg, how in hell does he get such a cast?

The stone had skidded arc'd and bloomed into islands
Kamau Brathwaite

Last edited by Solothores : 07 July 2005 at 08:18 AM.

07 July 2005
I hate that they use the word 'epic' in the same press release where the words 'uwe boll' are mentioned without the word 'disaster' appearing right after epic. He must have dirty laundry on every actor there to form that cast while his very public string of horrible pictures continues.

07 July 2005
I'm so looking forwad to the new game Dungeon Seige 2 this August.
This movie... not so much

07 July 2005
wtf ? i mean why would any company sell him the licence to make a movie ?

next thing you know he's gonna be making the Halo movie

07 July 2005
MAN! This sucks.

I get home from the bar, im all hammered, after celebrating canada day, and I decide, i'll just check some cgtalk before bed.

And what thread to I click on?? THIS ONE!!

MAN, way to ruin my buzz uwe boll.

I could point in any random direction, and whatever I end up pointing at could direct a better movie. I just pointed at my alarm clock.

MAN, i forgot what this thread was about,l but I know I don't like uwe boll.

Rudity

07 July 2005
Yeah, its crazy. Who gives the guy $60m to make this film and secondly, why do established actors want to work with this director? It was surprising to see Kingsley in BloodRayne, let alone these guys. I just don't get it.

Unless of course he's simply offering them insane paychecks and they're doing it for a quick payday.

07 July 2005
Originally Posted by Rudity: MAN! This sucks.

I get home from the bar, im all hammered, after celebrating canada day...

Canada has a day!?

Oh yea...Eww Boll does sucks. (A WHOLE day?)

07 July 2005
Cack. Missed this earlier..not that I have any special attachment to Dungeon Siege, but crikey.

I do wonder how he keeps getting the people he does to be in his movies, especially now that more of them are out. Maybe by making the next movie as quickly as possible before the previous one is released, he can avoid word of mouth and gloss it over. Maybe he's got a hypnotic raygun, or they get lots of points. Yeesh.

I keep thinking of that line from ID4, about the alien's plan.."They're like locusts..moving from planet to planet, consuming every natural resource" etc. etc. just in this case he's leaving lifeless burned out videogame properties in his wake.

07 July 2005
Ok I really need to know how he gets his cast. Appereantly his movies dont have 100 mil $ budget nor he is talented or unique that the actors would take a pay cut for the prestige of working in one of his movies. so HOW?

ron perlman and ben kingsley are two of my fav actors , and i really cant begin to understand why they want to be associated with these crap movies.

07 July 2005
I guess I have had my head in the books too long, but besides the fact that they are making a movie based off of a decent game with a mediocre story, what's wrong with uwe boll? I ask because I have only heard this (very memorable) name a handful of times, it always seems to be with disgust or disdain... but I can't think of anything that he has ever done.

In fact I went and IMDB'd him and have never heard of any of the films he's directed or produced.

On a VFX Hiatus

07 July 2005
Jason how about you go rent out House of the dead and alone in the dark and make it a movie night , then come back to this thread tomorrow

07 July 2005
Just read the IMDB reviews on all of his titles... and frankly I'll pass, not my kind of movie (which is probably why I haven't heard of them)... but really, so their going to hand another video game franchise to a hack director intent on making a crappy movie... what else is new?

One interesting "positive" on Uwe Boll's career... he is keeping Clint Howard employed... which between you and me is cool.

On a VFX Hiatus

07 July 2005
I can't think of another filmmaker that's as loathed as this f#$ing clown. Are the grade-A people he's working with BLIND? Why would they want to associate themselves with this hack?

07 July 2005
Originally Posted by Lunatique: Why would they want to associate themselves with this hack?
He knows all their dirty little secrets. They walk, he talks. That's the only thing I can think of, at any rate.

07 July 2005
This is how he keeps on getting money to make movies:

Quote: He's able to secure the investors (mostly German, in Hollywood often derisively referred to as "stupid German money"), secure the rights for cheap, picking games with only moderate brand recognition, does all of the actual production himself, and swiftly cranks out a film. While under normal circumstances a director's movies could gross so little he's eventually shut out from every operating studio, Boll is exempt because he funds them under a loophole in German tax law that is supported by contributors and actually rewards films that perform badly, via a writeoff at the end of the year.

This makes me want to put my fist through a wall:

Quote: Boll claims that the script to House of the Dead was included with the movie rights and he could not change it. Reportedly, early scripts to Alone in the Dark were rejected several times. Boll, apparently disappointed by the lack of gun battles, car chases and sex scenes, re-wrote the script personally.

There is still no explanation why people with decent reputations are willing to work with this hack.

Thread Closed share thread