madart
I don't know it all

portfolio
Madeleine Wettstein
Texture Artist
Gothenburg, Sweden

Send a message via MSN to madart
Inspirational trees - larvae weave

I just read about a moth's larvae (häggmal), that eats the leaves from the trees, here in Sweden. There are some really inspiring photos of these trees with the weave covering them and the littel larvae crawling about.

The site is a Swedish newspaper, Aftonbladet. But you can click on the link, below a photo of one of these trees, with a small camera next to it.

It says: "Spökträd runt om i Sverige". (Ghost trees in Sweden).

http://www.aftonbladet.se/vss/nyhet...,665694,00.html

Maybe you have seen this kind of weave in other countries, but I have never seen it before, anywhere.

I thought these photos are really inspiring and wanted to share.

Please feel free to post other inspiring photos from nature if you like or add a link.

Old 06-28-2005, 02:49 PM   #2
NOOB!
yep.
Angelous Ruben
Illustrator/animator
London, United Kingdom

your inspired by a tree? joke.

i haven't any pictures to share,but i am inspired by stuff like forests and jungles for some reason,i don't know why it is.

Old 06-28-2005, 02:58 PM   #3
madart
I don't know it all

portfolio
Madeleine Wettstein
Texture Artist
Gothenburg, Sweden

I'm not joking! I'm inspired by a lot of things around me. Trees do inspire me, with or without weave.

Old 06-28-2005, 03:10 PM   #4
NOOB!
yep.
Angelous Ruben
Illustrator/animator
London, United Kingdom

alright then,i'm inspired by nature but not just one thing like trees,grass etc. i'm inspired by all of it as a whole.

i like the weeve trees though,i've seen it in allota art.

i prefer open forests though,in art,seems like they have deeper meanings and can tell fascinating stories.

Old 06-28-2005, 06:23 PM   #5
Elaeria
vorpal bunny

portfolio
Meredith
Waterloo, Canada

Send a message via ICQ to Elaeria Send a message via MSN to Elaeria
Wow! I didn't understand anything from the website, but wow! Those trees are craziness!! Those little larvae took over the whole thing! And the bike! Eeeek!

Those trees would definitely be inspiring for any type of scene you might want to draw. They can invoke a feeling of creepiness, ethereal, whatever you like. Amazing how many images came to mind when I looked at them. And not all of them negative (although I did keep thinking of those poor trees! *shudder*)

Nature is definitely the most inspiring thing for me. Good thing a forest starts at my front door! *grin*

Thanks for sharing!
Cheers,
~Ela~

Old 06-28-2005, 07:04 PM   #6
madart
I don't know it all

portfolio
Madeleine Wettstein
Texture Artist
Gothenburg, Sweden

noob, it's a good thing we are inspired by different things, some see the whole and others the little details.

Forests are very fascinating, there's so much hidden inside of them, you can really let your imagination wander, especially when you're in an old forrest with lots of moss.

Elaeria, I don't know what the larvae have eaten on the bike, but somehow they must have liked it... hehe

You can get all sorts of ideas from these photos, they're quite good for making sketches as well, some of them.

Imagine if you were quite small or the weave was really big and you walked into this, remove the larvae, I'm thinking of the weave here, you could use it as building material for a buildings and such. It's just sort of an idea I got for an image when looking at the photos.

BTW The trees don't die, and this doesn't happen every year. But it does take the trees a couple of years to recover and they will grow leaves again.

Old 06-29-2005, 10:31 AM   #7
tntcheats
Dum as an doornail

portfolio
James Henderson
Canada

There's a thread I just saw where people were pissed off at the lack of originality in pictures. Everything sci-fi.

I think it'd be cool for a few people to make pics of things like this, that look sci-fi, but explain and show pics of how they're in nature. Maybe combining them, too.

Old 06-29-2005, 10:37 AM   #8
Joee
mmm tasty

L'artiste
Graphic Designer
USA

Hey I like those trees called, weeping willow? they are nice.
Tntcheats - I know exactly what you mean, back to traditional subjects in pictures !

Old 06-29-2005, 10:56 AM   #9
DrFx
Bloodlust

portfolio
Carlos Félix
3d generalist
Open University
London, United Kingdom

Send a message via MSN to DrFx
Madart, imho: Those trees are disgusting! Especially in the pic with the little larvae! And I pity the poor dude who got his bicycle hijacked by those little bastards! How you find that inspiring I cannot grasp, good for you if it works, though!

A little off topic: Michael Jackson has an "Inspiration Tree". No larvae, though, but he's a bit of a nutcase!

Old 06-29-2005, 12:29 PM   #10
madart
I don't know it all

portfolio
Madeleine Wettstein
Texture Artist
Gothenburg, Sweden

Quote:
Hey I like those trees called, weeping willow? they are nice.

Weeping willow? Is that what they are called in English?

Quote:

I think it'd be cool for a few people to make pics of things like this, that look sci-fi, but explain and show pics of how they're in nature. Maybe combining them, too.

That's how I like it, a combination of nature and sci-fi.

Quote:

Madart, imho: Those trees are disgusting! Especially in the pic with the little larvae! And I pity the poor dude who got his bicycle hijacked by those little bastards! How you find that inspiring I cannot grasp, good for you if it works, though!

Well that's the thing, what inspires you are often things that evoke a feeling in you, and it doesn't just have to be something beautiful or positive. That's how I feel anyway.

I'm also quite disgusted by the look of these threes, and especially when you can see the larvae. But at the same time, the weave as such, is beautiful. What I often do, when something catches my eye, is try to look beyond what I'm actually seeing. Turn what I'm seeing into something else. And that is when I get inspired for my work. Well, that's how it works for me.

Old 06-29-2005, 03:13 PM   #11
Stahlberg
Lord of the posts

CGSociety Member
portfolio
Steven Stahlberg
Lead Artist
Streamline Studios
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

It's called Birdcherry in english I think. My last name used to be Hägg (until I changed it to Stahlberg, mom's maiden name).
Cool images

Last edited by Stahlberg : 06-29-2005 at 04:26 PM.

Old 06-29-2005, 04:07 PM   #12
madart
I don't know it all

portfolio
Madeleine Wettstein
Texture Artist
Gothenburg, Sweden

I actually looked "hägg" up to see the English name and Steven, you're absolutely right, it is birdcherry!

It's quite a name change going from Birdcherry or Hägg(?) to Stahlberg or is it Ståhlberg?

Old 06-29-2005, 04:24 PM   #13
dbclemons
Frequenter

David Clemons
Artist / Illustrator
USA

Back in East Texas there were Tent Caterpillars that had a similar nest to them which stretched between limbs of a tree, but nothing as serious as those things. Wow! We also had bagworms that wold make these cute little pouches. The tents also had a pungent odor to them that was most foul.

-David

Old 06-29-2005, 04:28 PM   #14
Stahlberg
Lord of the posts

CGSociety Member
portfolio
Steven Stahlberg
Lead Artist
Streamline Studios
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

Technically it's Hägg-Ståhlberg in my passport, but that's a bit long...

Old 06-29-2005, 06:30 PM   #15
madart
I don't know it all

portfolio
Madeleine Wettstein
Texture Artist
Gothenburg, Sweden

Quote:
Back in East Texas there were Tent Caterpillars that had a similar nest to them which stretched between limbs of a tree, but nothing as serious as those things. Wow! We also had bagworms that wold make these cute little pouches. The tents also had a pungent odor to them that was most foul.

It doesn't say anything about a smell from this weave, which is a good thing I suppose, as there is quite a lot of it.

There are so many fascinating animals, insects, plants etc in nature, you just have to keep your eyes open to it.

Quote:
Technically it's Hägg-Ståhlberg in my passport, but that's a bit long...

Ok, I get it now, Hägg-Ståhlberg, right!

Thread Closed share thread