space taxi

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

06 June 2005
space taxi

I've been working on a game project within my education for about 1,5 years now.
The player controls a jet powered cab within a futuristic giant city. I've done the player model about a year ago and now its time to redesign it.

heres the old model:

heres a concept of the new design:

I'm gonna work on this model the following week.
The specs are:
Polycount: 5000 - 6000
Textures: 1x Color 1024, 1x NormalMap 1024, 1xSpecMap 1024

I'll make different damage states for the model.

06 June 2005
Cool model, but im guessing that u could easly improve it..look at the file 5th element with Bruce Willis, he drives a flyn taxi in that

06 June 2005
i know the corban dallas taxi from 5th element very well, i watch the movie at least once a day for inspirational purposes...

06 June 2005
yay 5th element! the only thing that stands out about the concept and the old model is that the only colors used are black, white and yellow; there should be a lot more colors than that - subtle reds and blues, etc. good luck!

06 June 2005
When i read Space taxi i was like "yes this will be cool"
I personaly dont see anything wrong with the colours if anything i would think if you chnage the colors then no one will think its a taxi anymore
on a side now i think it would look very cool if you had wires and stuff in the back and tubes coming out of the sides of the frount just thats of little things that you would think a care in space would have. and more design/ shaping i think something from crazy taxi would be cool with a space look but over all a bad model could you show a wire frame, just so we can see where all the polys are.

06 June 2005
thanks for all those replies even if i havent much to show off yet. a wireframe of the old model isnt important since im gonna replace it anyway, the count was around 2400 triangles.

I've been artworking like a madman the past day and hae thought a lot about the basic form of the taxi. It definately needs to be somewhat 'cute' to get the player emotionally attached to the model, since the actual driver will never be visualized for identificational purposes.
Heres a new concept - its very rough and needs a lot more details, yet i'm quite satisfied with the basic shape. please comment :-)

<edit> updated picture

Last edited by jOBe : 06 June 2005 at 09:47 PM.

06 June 2005
I do not think Adam Atomic meant changing the color but adding tints and light effects. For example if you look at a car in the sun and it is red you have many degrees of reds that go into bluish and oranges depending how the sun hits it. These are ways of creating slight shadows. Adds lots of depth in the work.

Like some people tend to use black a lot for shadows when you could use dark reds and blues.

Concept looks intresting. if your going for a cartoon look this is looking cartoony.

06 June 2005
Seems stuck somewhere between boxy and smooth curves. If it's curvy, then start smoothing them out. It just looks kinda messy right now.
The checker texture should not be blurry either, that totally sticks out, and is prominent to representing a taxi.

06 June 2005
EDIT - yes desp you hit it on the head thank you!

Jobe - I think your thought process is a very good one - usually the only time you see people thinking about vehicles as characters are games like Twisted Metal or V8. Usually there is a pragmatism and realism that keeps the vehicles from being as fun as they could be. It is an approach that I would love to see everywhere! Another thing to keep in mind is how to keep the back of the taxi interesting to look at; a good example is the ship design from Wipeout. 90% of the vehicle detail was in the rear 25% of the ship, which was also the most visible part. Cool wings, a great particle effect for the jet trail, the canopy, etc. Obviously you are not designing a dragster racing ship here, but if the Taxi will be shown from one view for most of the game it'd be a good idea to think about how to spice that up some!

06 June 2005
"Another thing to keep in mind is how to keep the back of the taxi interesting to look at; a good example is the ship design from Wipeout. 90% of the vehicle detail was in the rear 25% of the ship, which was also the most visible part. Cool wings, a great particle effect for the jet trail, the canopy, etc. Obviously you are not designing a dragster racing ship here, but if the Taxi will be shown from one view for most of the game it'd be a good idea to think about how to spice that up some!"

yeah, thats why i'm including a big window on the back of the taxi. i'm gonna model out the interior of it and the passangers will be visible, sitting on the backseat and 'may' even be animated.

06 June 2005
been busy on modelling the base form of my concept. i still try a lot stuff while modeling and still need to define the front / rear view of the taxi.

I'm at 1800 Polys now, mesh isnt cleaned up at all at this state.
Still a lot more to do and a lot more polys to spend.

07 July 2005
i've hit 3000 polys now.
the back still needs a lot of work, i'm still thinking about how to improve the look of the turbine and how it is let into the varish of the car. same thing at the front, i'm still trying to improve the 'character' of the car.
please help me with some comments

07 July 2005
another update on the mesh.
hopefully i'll finish the low poly mesh at the end of this day - still a lot edges to clean and minor details to add. After this I'll continue with UVMappig, Normalmapping and then Texturing.
polycount is 5k now.

07 July 2005
"update on the mesh" - good, => beter,

07 July 2005
Nifty model. There is a small design flaw, but it shouldn't be that hard to fix. Basically, the windshield is very small and the window pylons produce huge blind spots. That would make it pretty hard to drive the taxi without crashing into things. Furthermore, the windshield is smaller than the rear window, so it's easy to confuse the front end of the car with the rear end of the car.

I hope that helps.

Thread Closed share thread