My first head, crits really needed.

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 06 June 2005   #1
Exclamation Head Model.

For Newcomers: Latest:

So this is my first head, using max. I didnt find the modeling challenging, but to actually get it to look good is so hard. I want it to look much younger. Other than missing ears, could I have some C+C from the pros because Im at a loss what to do to make this look more life like at this stage.

Last edited by Chems : 09 September 2005 at 12:21 AM. Reason: Updating.

Old 06 June 2005   #2
Its an ok start. You have the basic shape of the head, but there is just no detail. You need to fix the proportions of the head, the eyes should be half way up/down the face. The jaw line just blends into the back of the head and the crease on the sides of the mouth should start from the top of the nostrils not the bottom.

This Should get you started and study some references as well.

Old 06 June 2005   #3
Thanks I will try and fix that and get another pic up soon.

Edit Heres my attempt at making it better. Looks better to me, some more crit like that would be really welcome.

Thanks

Last edited by Chems : 06 June 2005 at 01:01 PM.

Old 06 June 2005   #4
sorry for my bad english, i dont know tis called. but from the side view you should clearly see a jaw, that runs right to were the ears should be.

the buttom of the nose should be less flat, and try to fix the geometric errors around the mouth an chin.

nicely done for a first try btw

Master & Servant Challenge

Old 06 June 2005   #5
Ive added some ears in, Prophet just seen your comments and will work on what you suggested. Thanks a lot.

Old 06 June 2005   #6
Here it is with some more improvements, prophet, do you mean when you say errors the modeling errors round the nose and mouth or errors as in it doesnt look right?

Old 06 June 2005   #7
If you are going for a realistic head, then i would say your eye's are to big, also i would say that your forehead needs to be abit bigger, also the shape of the top of the head needs working on in the side view. And the chin is abit pointed, try smoothing it out abit.
What i would do is grab a mirror and look at your self in it, then look at your model, and you should start to pick a few different things up that need working on. But it isn't bad for your first attempt and it is going in the right direction.

Good job, keep us updated.

Old 06 June 2005   #8
Maybe I should claim its a self portait because people say I have big eyes. I already fixed the head shape will see what I can do with the eyes. Thanks so much for the C+C would be rubbish with out it.

Edit: Here he is with the adjustments you suggested. Anything else, hes looking life like to me now.

Last edited by Chems : 06 June 2005 at 03:50 PM.

Old 06 June 2005   #9
Something on the lips just doesnt look right, try giving the lip abit of a curve from the bottom of the nose, hard to explain.

Filtrum

Last edited by Jonn : 06 June 2005 at 04:50 PM.

Old 06 June 2005   #10
Ok the next thing i would sort out is the jaw line, if you take alook at yours in a mirror, you can see that sits in front of the ear, where as on your model it is finshing behind the ear. Then i would give your chin abit more roundness, in the side view as it looks abit pointed.

It is starting to look alot better now, keep the updates coming

Old 06 June 2005   #11
Ok spent a lot longer adjusting this time, thanks for the tip on the jaw and the lips, spent ages working on them Ive also added in the kinda creases from the nose to the mid cheek. Very subtle couldnt see it in a render so I just grabbed the viewport. Anymore C+C? Thanks so much for the help.

Old 06 June 2005   #12
Theres something about the eyebrows they have a weird groove in them and the crease that connects the eye socket to the temple should be lowered. The grooves beside the mouth should also be more vertical than they are now. In the side view you should move the part where the lips connect to the nose forward a bit. The chin also seems a bit long. Sorry for my crappy drawings haha, they are just for a general idea. Good luck dude .

Old 06 June 2005   #13
Oh i see you fixed the chin and mouth grooves already while I was posting. Ignore what I said about them then hahaha.

Old 06 June 2005   #14
top lip a bit fatter maybe.

Old 06 June 2005   #15
Thanks guys, think I got it all sorted now. Wil update again soon.

Thread Closed share thread