AO or dirt map?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 06 June 2005   #1
AO or dirt map?

guys, i've got a fair few archi scenes to render WITHOUT gi. so to fake a nice gi effect, i'll set up my normal fake gi lighting rig, then for extra effect i dont know whether to use the ambient occlusion shader or the dirt shader.

in essence they do the same (or very similar) thing, but the dirt shader renders a zillion times faster.

what do you guys think the differences are and when would you use one over the other?

Old 06 June 2005   #2
for faking GI i'll rather use AO, as AO gives every point kinda a basic brightness AFAIK, something dirt doesn not do (which is the difference between the two).

also you can render the AO pass out once and composite it with any rendering that uses the same camera. it's slow but you need to render it only once.

Old 06 June 2005   #3
Hi - would you mind elaborating on this process? I havent tried this method before and wouldnt know where to start?

Steve

Old 06 June 2005   #4
Originally Posted by STRAT: what do you guys think the differences are and when would you use one over the other?

hi strat,

you have to use the AO shader for this kind of thing because the Dirt shader ignores your Geometry AA settings (so the edges of the objects in your scene will all be ragged in the dirt pass).

cheers, simon w.

Old 06 June 2005   #5
You can use the dirt shader, but it takes some work. You'll have to bake it first. What I've done before is save the scene under a new name, connect all the objects I want "dirted", apply and bake the dirt shader. Render a material pass and add slight blur in AE to reduce grain. Multiply the dirt pass over the full render in AE.

Old 06 June 2005   #6
Guys, is there a default AO shader supplied with C4D now? I just bought R9 and haven't found it in the shader list. I thought you had to use ambiente or the dirt shader.

Old 06 June 2005   #7
The dirt shader is an AO shader--just not a very good one.

Old 06 June 2005   #8
just download the free ao shader from bobtronic, if you play with the settings it has good speed, add a little blur and composite.

i do that all time, one ao pass, one atmospheric pass, one image pass, often one s&T pass-
works very well animated and still.

cheers
stefan

Old 06 June 2005   #9
Right so there is no other AO shader except the ones I was already using. Just checking.

Old 06 June 2005   #10
heers for the responses fellers. i guess AO is the correct route then. it's just painfully slow compaired to dirtynutz thats all.

Old 06 June 2005   #11
Fascinating upper class lesson. Thanks.

Lower classmen, it is your assignment to come up with the what, why, when, where and how for the following:

Originally Posted by kuui: ...also you can render the AO pass out once and composite it with any rendering that uses the same camera. it's slow but you need to render it only once.

Originally Posted by AdamT: ...connect all the objects I want "dirted", apply and bake the dirt shader. Render a material pass and add slight blur in AE to reduce grain. Multiply the dirt pass over the full render in AE.

Originally Posted by lllAB: ...one ao pass, one atmospheric pass, one image pass, often one s&T pass-
works very well animated and still.

You have one year from today to complete the assignment. Those failiing to do so will be subjected to punishment selected and meted out by the aforementioned upper classman.

Good luck.....

Old 06 June 2005   #12
Originally Posted by STRAT: heers for the responses fellers. i guess AO is the correct route then. it's just painfully slow compaired to dirtynutz thats all.

which version of the shader are you using? there is an old coffee version and a new compiled C++ version - the new compiled version is faster.

cheers, simon w.

Old 06 June 2005   #13
Originally Posted by Simon Wicker: which version of the shader are you using? there is an old coffee version and a new compiled C++ version - the new compiled version is faster.

cheers, simon w.

you couldn't obige us with a new link here please m8? only i be mostly a lazy sod

Old 06 June 2005   #14
search the net for bobtronic, there is also ambiente2, written in c++
( i think its www.bobtronic.de or something)

cheers
stefan

Old 06 June 2005   #15
Originally Posted by STRAT: you couldn't obige us with a new link here please m8? only i be mostly a lazy sod

here:

http://www.bobtronic.de/plugins/

click on the ambiente2 link in the cinema 4d 8.5 list.

cheers, simon w.

Thread Closed share thread