portfolio
Leigh van der Byl
A cog in the wheel
Hertfordshire, United Kingdom

Meet the Artist: Nick Pugh

Nick Pugh
Lead Concept Artist
Rhythm and Hues

Concept Designer Nick Pugh has been pursuing originality in the fields of vehicle and entertainment design for over 15 years, and currently works as a lead Concept Artist for visual effects studio Rhythm and Hues, where he creates original character, vehicle, FX and production design for feature films, commercials and print.

Recent film credits include: [iThe Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe, Skeleton Key, Serenity, The Ring 2[/i] and Garfield.
He also designs and builds unique concept cars that explore the limits of what is possible as well as pursuing a myriad of other artistic endeavors. His work can often be seen in books and media publications.
Nick has received numerous awards for his work including, most recently, the master award for transportation in Expose 3.

Related Links
http://www.nickpugh.com/

Post your questions or request for critique

The "Meet the Artists" forum provides a conducive environment where CGTalk members can have the opportunity to speak to some of the finest digital art talents in the world! CGTalk members can post questions and artwork, and have them answered or critiqued by these master artists. This is a fantastic opportunity to gain valuable insight from seasoned industry veterans!

Rules for Q&A/Critique:
1. Use your real name (edit your CGTalk profile in UserCP). Note: Anonymous postings may be removed at CGTalk's discretion.
2. Please be polite when asking questions or for critique.
3. Check the whole thread to see if your question has already been asked. Do not post duplicate questions.
4. When posting critique, please use the CGTalk Attachments feature so that the artwork remains accessible.
5. Note that the Artist is under no obligation to answer all questions or critique all work posted. It is at his/her sole discretion to answer questions or critique work.
6. If the Artist does not answer your question or critique your work, do not harass him/her.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Old 06-23-2005, 03:27 AM   #2
Fus|on
a SeVak of 3D

Jay P
3d Artist
THAD - DROTW
New Zealand

Send a message via MSN to Fus|on
Welcome aboard Nick!

Start stretching your fingurs, I'm sure your gonna be a hit in this Q & A Thread

Old 06-23-2005, 03:50 AM   #3
penartist26
WEB ARTIST

portfolio
nards castro
Creative Director
Japan Famous Game Industry
Tokyo, Japan

Send a message via AIM to penartist26 Send a message via MSN to penartist26 Send a message via Yahoo to penartist26
Smile Hello'

hi mr. nick i like ur design conceptual design stuff specially the vehicles tottaly cool'
er' heres my quicky Q. sir

- hows life being a lead Concept Artist in a entertainment design industry?

- since im a fan of jim davis how about ur experienced in
Garfield the movie include Scooby Doo how is it becoming one of the instrumental of the designs concepts the animation' etc..

- i love ur cars concept wow! did u try to work for warner brothers "BATMAN" movies?

congrats to u and more power!

portfolio : www.geocities.com/nardsdesign
favourite links : www.actionscript.org, www.ultrashock.com, www.javascript.com

Old 06-23-2005, 04:52 AM   #4
criminal
Frequenter

portfolio
Umer A
London, Pakistan

Send a message via MSN to criminal Send a message via Yahoo to criminal
your work has been really truely amazing and inspiring for everyone. ive got a just a couple of questions to ask.

1. i am really curious to know wich app u use in most of your work.

2. 15 years is a long time to spend in a industry. where do u find your self standing in the cg
world after spending such a huge period in it. do u think u have acheived what u aimed for
or not yet.

thnx

Old 06-23-2005, 04:57 AM   #5
Lalecp
Frequenter
portfolio
DELETETHISACCOUNT
USA

Hi Mr. Pugh, I would like to thank you for participating and for taking the time to answer out questions.

My Questions:

The Ring 2 wasnt a digitally based film, what kind of work did you do for that movie?

What things do u think about while doing concept work?

and lastly

What inspired you to get into this field of work?

Thank You Very Much

-Alec

Old 06-23-2005, 06:43 AM   #6
pogonip
Conceptual Illuminati

Chris Mcvoy
Concept Artist
USA

Hi nick love your work your an excellent artist !

Questions :

1: Are there projects you know your going to love to work on and projects that make you say " man not this stuff !!"

2: How much concept art are you expected to create daily say at the level of the Dino creature up there ? Or maybe you can break down how much is expected from you and how fast you typically have to work .

3: Are there R&H clients that ask for you specifically when they are in the design process ?

4: Do you work mostly digitally these days or do still do a lot of traditional media ?

5: What's your biggest motivator for staying in films as opposed to say visual development for Video Games or Animation for example.

6: Were you nerveous when you first started doing this line of work ? Did you ever have times when you thought you might fail ?

Old 06-23-2005, 06:44 AM   #7
theuni
...out of this world!

portfolio
Stephan Theunissen
3D Artist
Stuttgart, Germany

Send a message via ICQ to theuni
Hi Nick,

I did a fast look at your website... really impressive work you did the last 15 years
I just got one little question... did you study anything for doing this job?

Old 06-23-2005, 07:12 AM   #8
Magnemar
Veteran

portfolio
James Horn
3D Artist
Warwick, United Kingdom

Hi Nick,

You seem happy working in a variety of media and styles - do you find it a positive or a negative thing that you don't have an instantly recognisable 'style', in the manner of say Craig Mullins or Feng Zhu? Is this helpful when working on such a wide range of projects?

Cheers,

James.

My Spectacular Entry

Old 06-23-2005, 08:53 AM   #9
Adamos
veteran

Adam Juhasz
character engineer
Hungary

Thumbs up

Hi Nick!

First of all: RESPECT to you man! I've had a nickpugh folder on my hard drive for ages, so this is Q&A just wonderful!

Someone before me asked what you studied to get here, well I'll double that question and upgrade it:

1. What period of your life did you learn the most? Was it from someone, or mainly by yourself?

2. Who's/what's your inspiration?

3. Not a question, but a compliment: I think that your art is so fresh in so many ways, and it doesn't matter if it's not "recognizable" at once like someone mentioned earlier. That just means you've got lot's of styles and sides as a person/designer.

4. What are your goals in life/ work?

Thank you for taking the time to do this! It means so much to our community!

Thanks for inspiring.

Cheers, Adam

Old 06-23-2005, 09:57 AM   #10
APD-Jack
Animator

portfolio
Cenk KÖKSAL
2D/3D Animator
Istanbul, Turkey

Hi Nick. Actually, i didn't know you til see this thread, but i searched about you, looked your site and very liked your works.
I wonder how improved your vision and do you have any tutorial dvd or media
Finally, do you have favorite concept artists?
Very thanks for sharing your knowledge

Last edited by APD-Jack : 06-23-2005 at 10:01 AM.

Old 06-23-2005, 10:04 AM   #11
varunbondwal
its in the mind

portfolio
Varun Bondwal
Pipeline TD
Rhythm and Hues
New Delhi, India

Send a message via Yahoo to varunbondwal
Hello Nick, nice to see you here. I want to know if youre into animation of vehicles as well. If yes, can you give me some pointers about where to start for animating a car according to physics laws ?

Old 06-23-2005, 10:09 AM   #12
stefgrafx
Citizen of this Universe

portfolio
Stéphane Chasseloup
2D, 3D, 4D and more ;)
GrafxBOX
Oviedo, España

Send a message via Yahoo to stefgrafx

mouais... bof...

Old 06-23-2005, 11:13 AM   #13
Jezzarts
antipodean
-
Australia

Nick, your art is full of imagination and inspiration!

The posibility of working as a concept artist on a C.S.Lewis film has been a goal of mine ever since I found out they were making the LWW. I see that you have had the pleasure of doing this.

I am 29, have been teaching myself concept art for just under a year and have been able to get a fair bit of freelance work... I consider my art to be just above average and I'm learning fast. My question is, do you think it's worth while me going to Uni to get formal training, or should I continue to learn from my freelance work. Would a studio such as R&H's consider someone with no degree for working on film concepts etc?

Thanks so much! keep up the great work - Jez

Old 06-23-2005, 12:24 PM   #14
eggsrgood
Snooze and keep the dream

Carl English
3d Artist
Sydney, Australia

collective consciousness

Hey Nick,

Your art is so varied and from another world. I purchased your first DVD and was really inspired from watching you work but mainly from the way you described your workflow. Just wanted to let you know that there is another realm, another layer so to speak. It is hard to reach but innocence and clarity is the only way. If you have ever looked into the world of seeing auras I think you would be very interested. My fiancee sees colours around people's heads, and she has taught me a gift of feeling colours. It is a strange sensation to feel a visual. No real question, I just wanted to confirm to you that there is a collective consciousness and it is possible to actually see it. keep up the amazing work.

Old 06-23-2005, 03:23 PM   #15
THECLYKE
CG SLICKER

portfolio
Calvin Clyke
Toronto, Canada

Send a message via MSN to THECLYKE
Talking

YOU'VE DONE SOO MANY COOL PROJECTS ..AS AN ARTIST ARE THERE ANY PROJECTS FROM THE PAST THAT YOU FANTASIZED ABOUT DOING?

Your work is awsome....
I need some help with the themes going for my modeling reel
so far i got the typical warrior girl and a camel as a wip....any suggestions on
sumthin else?
tumblr
youtube

Last edited by THECLYKE : 06-23-2005 at 03:37 PM.

Thread Closed share thread