sdserbos
Frequenter
portfolio
Spyridon (Spyro) Serbos
Animator TD
New York City, United States

old ASUS P2B-D/no video with MX 440 PCI

Hi,

One of our old P3's is a ASUS (440BX?) P2B-D which has served me great over the years, from which I am writing you this e-mail for that matter.

In fear that my old AGP card may die soon in this very computer, we purchased a MX 440 PCI Card. We decided this, since it is very hard to find the particular kind of AGP card suitable for the P2B-D motherboard at this day and age. Yesterday this old computer froze and upon rebooting no video display was available. I thought that the ELSA Gloria III (Quadro...) graphic card finally died. So I proceeded to unwrap the "new" MX 440 PCI Card and installed it onto the P2B-D. When I powered it on, I heard 4 Beeps. (1 Long, 3 short). Not having a chart of the beep codes I proceeded to disassemble the computer. Memory, 2 CPUS, various cards, but with still the PCI card in place. The 4 beeps (1 Long, 3 short) persisted. I remembered something about the graphic card having to be in PCI slot 1 on some of these old motherboards so I changed it slot 1 but the result was the same. In my frustration I put the ELSA AGP card back in and powered up the computer, and much to my surprise it came to life again. The old ELSA Quadro was working again. Later I found online that the beeps from the Award Bios indicate some graphic card issue.

That is all nice and good, but I am still realistic enough to know that this graphic card has a short life ahead of it and would like to know why the Nvidia MX 440 PCI card was not accepted by the P2B-D motherboard during my adventure.

This particular machine is only for e-mail and stuff at this point. That is why any old PCI card would do. If it would work...

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Spyridon D. Serbos

Last edited by sdserbos : 06-22-2005 at 01:22 PM.

Old 06-22-2005, 04:54 AM   #2
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread