game character w.i.p: Jarrod

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

01 January 2006
game character w.i.p: Jarrod

hey, heres a character i started about 2 days ago, concept art is by Mikko K http://www.artbymikko.com/.

here's the concept

and here is the model

this guy will be normal mapped using zbrush, 3ds max and the photoshop nvidia filter. hopefully itll end up looking pretty sweet

any crits?

01 January 2006
looking good but the jaws too square
also i reakon you could do the sections of the jacket with the normal map, no need for the extra ege loops, although, it will deform better.

01 January 2006
shepeiro: yeah i was considering not putting in those extra loops for the jacket, but my poly limit is 4k so i had a few to play around with, and those loops just make the silhouette extra pretty for close up shots. but i did fix the jaw (and head in general)

Last edited by shika : 01 January 2006 at 05:04 PM.

01 January 2006
Nice looking model. Good mesh, too. I'm liking the cloth.

His jaw's a bit too square, like Shepeiro said. He looks like a macho David Coulthard :P

I'd also say that his wrists are looking a bit too thin or his jacket sleeves appear too short.

Oh, and I'd keep the divisions in his body warmer thing, they look good.

01 January 2006
Hey, I know this man! Jarrod Cole, if I remember it right. Keep on working!

01 January 2006
The only crit I have is that you seem to be using a lot of polys needlessly. For instance, the detail on the bottom of the leg, which I assume is simply the folds of the pants, is barely noticeable in the shaded version. It would be more efficient to simply use texture to create the illusion, and use the polys you save by getting rid of those folds to add a few horizontal edge loops around that area.
If you do that, you can actually create a better illusion of folded cloth because it allows for more visible shaping.
However, you did say you were going to normal map it, which is something I have little experience with, so it's possible those folds in his pants may help with the process. In that case, you can just ignore what I said -.-;

01 January 2006
thanks for the critique. i just started work on the normal map, hopefully the jaw looks better since i fixed it.
Aggroblakh: the material i used in the shaded view is actually self-illuminated(forgot to turn it down), so the folds might look a bit shallow.

01 January 2006
here's a tiny update on the normal map, i guess you could say im taking my sweet time . but when the normal maps are done in a couple days ill just breeze through the rest of it.

so far ive only finished the jacket, shirt sleeves,shirt, hands, shoes and belt buckle.

Last edited by shika : 01 January 2006 at 12:43 AM.

01 January 2006
here's a progress shot of the diffuse map. edit: further down

Last edited by shika : 01 January 2006 at 12:54 AM.

01 January 2006
cool , could we get a shot at the textures at 100% self illmumned?

01 January 2006
ill post the texture sheets when im finished, ive only worked on the diffuse for about 1-2 hours so its basically just solid colours with dirt. but since its normal mapped there will be virtually no prelighting on the diffuse, just dirt/ambient occlusion and some radiosity

01 January 2006
ok heres the body after a couple more hours of work. *edit* not needed

Last edited by shika : 01 January 2006 at 01:42 PM.

01 January 2006
ok here it is, im calling this one done.
ill revisit this character after i do a few other things. probably start over again from the low poly since i learnt a few things about optimising UV's and working with normal maps.

anyone got any crits? feel free to rip it apart cause id love to hear it

01 January 2006
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread