A Final SoftQuadro How To?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 06 June 2005   #1
A Final SoftQuadro How To?

Hi guys,

Ok I'm about to purchase a new video card, either a 6600 or 6800. There's so much on how to softmod these cards to Quadro, but the discussions have left me confused. So, some questions to get my bearings:

1. How does Rivatuner fit into this, and what is the relation of it to SoftQuadro? What is the basic order of steps for making the transformation?

2. Can these cards use the MAXTREME drivers for 3ds?

3. Can you comlpete the change without "overclocking"? That is to say can it be done without the standard risks of overheating associated with other mods.

4. Is there any danger to the card in the process? Are any changes irreversible? What is the skill level expected to complete the change?

5. Are there any chipsets or card manufacturers, with known conflicts? What about AGP vs. PCI-e?

Sorry there's a lot there, but I think a lot of readers could benefit from a straighforward sharp response. I'm sure all of you are up to it. Thanks in advance.

Old 06 June 2005   #2
Can you run a search?
"Game developers are like simple chemicals. (No, not because they're cheap and smelly.) In the right combination, they can make miracles. Screw up the mix, and you can blow up a city." - How to Screw Up a Perfectly Good Game Company in Ten Easy Steps, www.gamedev.net

Old 06 June 2005   #3
Originally Posted by coltraIN: 1. How does Rivatuner fit into this, and what is the relation of it to SoftQuadro? What is the basic order of steps for making the transformation?
2. Can these cards use the MAXTREME drivers for 3ds?
3. Can you comlpete the change without "overclocking"? That is to say can it be done without the standard risks of overheating associated with other mods.
4. Is there any danger to the card in the process? Are any changes irreversible? What is the skill level expected to complete the change?
5. Are there any chipsets or card manufacturers, with known conflicts? What about AGP vs. PCI-e?

I did a test for a friend just tuesday afternoon. I have a GF 6800GT on my workstation and have been running Maya under Linux (a story about ATI drivers and FGL-X1 here) but booting to Windows for some other matters. Anyway, a trial of Max into the machine and to testing...

1) There are other methods that turn GF to Quadro, but if you are just using Windows, RivaTuner must be the pretty much safest and easiest option to make the modification. It's free, and once you know what buttons to press it is a breeze. Really.

2) That is exactly why I tested this for the friend of mine. Yes, Maxtreme drivers install fine and seem to work correctly.

3) Yes. I have even the fan on lowest setting and no troubles.

4) There is no risk other than messing up with the drivers. So everything is pretty much reversible, the cons are cosmetics; you have to install a software to do the mod. There is no overclocking to be made unless you specificly tell that to happen. It is not even the default, so you have to do it intentionally if you so wish.

5) No idea. Some cards don't seem to work, do a search on that (I think it was something like 6600 PCI-E or something mentioned on guru3d.com, don't know really). My 6800 GT (AGP) works pretty fine, I can't see if there is anything wrong with it or not working.

But, having said that, I do doubt at times if the modification is worth it. I mean, I had FireGL X-1 and when I switched to Linux I got this 6800GT as a temporary replacement. But it has been working so well that I have just stick with it. Then again, this is with Maya, and some may use functions or methods that I don't.

In any case, it takes about 2 hours to try it all, and that includes the required googling from a person like me. Now that I know how it is done, I would say it is 15 min max to try the thing out.

Old 06 June 2005   #4
somthing that has always been a little unclear for me, can you compare the Softmoded
Geforce card with a 100% real Quadro card?

in other wurds is it a gimick or what!?

Old 06 June 2005   #5
Blue Tide thanks for the response. Nighthawk, get a life, this stuff can be confusing.

I have a pci-e slot so I'm a little concerned about the possible 6600 conflict, I saw the reference to such on guru3d. Anybody else know about that conflict? What about 6800 on the pci-e? I've seen other stuff on the 6600 working on AGP so I think that's cool.

Old 06 June 2005   #6
Originally Posted by coltraIN: Blue Tide thanks for the response. Nighthawk, get a life, this stuff can be confusing.

I have a pci-e slot so I'm a little concerned about the possible 6600 conflict, I saw the reference to such on guru3d. Anybody else know about that conflict? What about 6800 on the pci-e? I've seen other stuff on the 6600 working on AGP so I think that's cool.

I have a life, learn to help yourself before I'll help you. Are you confused on how to search? You click the search button and type in words and click search.
"Game developers are like simple chemicals. (No, not because they're cheap and smelly.) In the right combination, they can make miracles. Screw up the mix, and you can blow up a city." - How to Screw Up a Perfectly Good Game Company in Ten Easy Steps, www.gamedev.net

Old 06 June 2005   #7
Originally Posted by daskog: somthing that has always been a little unclear for me, can you compare the Softmoded Geforce card with a 100% real Quadro card? in other wurds is it a gimick or what!?

Well, if it lets you install Maxtreme, sure it does something. Also, anti-aliased lines work (what they did not do on some earlier versions I've heard). I haven't had a real Quadro 4000 so I can't tell if there is a difference or not. Is there some easy way to try out something that is specific to Quadro? I'm not going to bother with benchmarking, others have done that already to see enhance in their results. Also, I would prefer not to install anything, and like said before, I know not max and the trial runs out at some point, but beside that, I can try something simple if you wish to hear the results.

Last edited by BlueTide : 06 June 2005 at 06:00 AM.

Old 06 June 2005   #8
Originally Posted by coltraIN: I have a pci-e slot so I'm a little concerned about the possible 6600 conflict, I saw the reference to such on guru3d. Anybody else know about that conflict? What about 6800 on the pci-e? I've seen other stuff on the 6600 working on AGP so I think that's cool.

Make back-ups, try it and see what happens if that interests you. Once done, post the results here in case somebody runs into this thread later on and ponders the same thing. If it does not work, you just re-install the drivers.

Old 06 June 2005   #9
If you want better information on this try searching the forums at ocforums
They have some good info, and the people there can probably give you some good advice.

Old 06 June 2005   #10
There are plenty of threads in Technical and Hardware if he just ran a search. I hate to come off as an ass but seriously I and other users have already gone through the process of softmoding the 6800 into a QuadroFX4000 back almost 6 months ago. BTW 6600 is not a viable softmod option, run the search.

Old 06 June 2005   #11
I agree. I've searched for Softmodding Graphics cards alot, and it always seems simple at first, and then I keep reading and with every new post, it seems to get more and more complex and I get more and more confused. Just run RiverTuner....but if you have PCI express, do this, and if you have the ultra, do this, but if you're running xp pro, dont do this, and if youre running maya, do this, and if Bobs your uncle do this. It all seems kind of up in the air once you get into it. I need some definitive answers before I try it.

I've got a 256 mb 6800 Ultra PCI - Express card. The only problem I have is that I would still like the option of playing games like Half Life 2 from time to time. Is playing games just completely out of the question once you softmod? If so, could you not potentially cause some problems from constantly switching drivers back and forth everyday. Im a change-your-drivers-only-when-its-not-working kind of guy.

Old 06 June 2005   #12
Quote: There are plenty of threads in Technical and Hardware if he just ran a search. I hate to come off as an ass but seriously I and other users have already gone through the process of softmoding the 6800 into a QuadroFX4000 back almost 6 months ago. BTW 6600 is not a viable softmod option, run the search.

Well why don't you try and help instead of being a prag?

"Just run a search.. blah blah.. I am king of the intarwebs"

lol

Old 06 June 2005   #13
Originally Posted by Joel Hooks: Well why don't you try and help instead of being a prag?

"Just run a search.. blah blah.. I am king of the intarwebs"

lol

Do you want me to hold your hand while you cross the street too?

Old 06 June 2005   #14
God was that so hard, it took me less then a minute.

http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.ph...ight=softquadro

Old 06 June 2005   #15
Originally Posted by OC-NightHawk: God was that so hard, it took me less then a minute.

http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.ph...ight=softquadro

Im sure that thread was very informative to you and answered all of your questions.

Oh, wait. YOU started it.

Thread Closed share thread