*Combing Hair (nudity)--wip--june 15-2005

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

06 June 2005
*Combing Hair (nudity)--wip--june 15-2005

hello all! this is actually my first time posting some of my work on cgtalk. i am currently working on a personal project inspired by some old japanese prints. i wanted to do a modern version using digital painting techniques. this is an exercise on value, color, composition and lighting. i thought that this would be a good way to sharpen up my painting skills as well. let me know if i should make any changes.

here is the line art. i used a 2b pencil, and a .5 mechanical pencil for smaller details.

color comp. trying to work out a color scheme for the mood. aiming for an afternoon of peace and tranquilty.

comments, questions, critiques are always appreciated!

06 June 2005
ooooo...this will be really pretty

Are you going to go for realism or try to replicate your japanese prints? I like your color scheme, but I think you should add some yellow highlights to make it more sunny-like...can't wait to see, your composition is beautiful ^_^

06 June 2005
i would go for more emotion, right now the colors are sort of bland. but the idea is cool! do ppl normally comb each other's hair naked? =P

06 June 2005
Hello again! Thanks for your comments, I cant express how much they mean to me. I am humbled by all the beautiful works posted here on the cgtalk network, I am just striving to become a better artist and I think by getting feedback by the cg talk community I will gradually get better.

kira-hime:
Hello Molly! Thanks for stopping by. The orginal japanese print I referenced was more stylized, with a classic Japanese cartoon look, it was simple in design and emphasized lines and colors rather than tone and value..

The original print (done on silk) was rather flat and the skin tones were muted., twas a lot more basic than my version. it did not have the elaborate Japanese garden background as you see in mine, and the lady combing her hair was cropped off. I wanted to include a full shot of both in the composition as well as a nice Japanese garden in the bg.

What I intend to do with this one, was still capture a serene relaxing moment with the girl and the lady combing her hair just like the original, but I wanted to put in a garden in the bg to emphasize the calm, relaxful mood. I am aimng for a stylized realism, with realistic looking background and figures.

Glad u like the color scheme. I was just trying to get a feel for what colors I am going for. It looks flat right now because nothing is rendered out, at least not yet.

Yes, thanks for the suggestion about the yellow highlights. I added a new layer in photshop and I threw on some yellow sun streak sfalling into the japanese garden in the background. So far i think it looks better with sunny highlights. It adds more atmosphere.

Hpslashluvr_
Hello Emily! Good to hear from you, I see you frequent this site often. I am brand new here, and I am amazed by the level of talent you guys have. Its all very humbling and motivating at the same time. I also checked out some of your work and it is really good. Its good to see your progress.

Thanks you for the crits yes right now the colors seem to be bland. I am still trying to figure things out.. hopefully the colors will become more unified as a I progress with this painting.

Hah hah, about the topless girls combing hair. hmm maybe its not normal here in the states. But I would like to relocate wherever this practice is common! I kid I kid. ^_^

Again thanks for the responses! Very much appreciated. I will work on it a bit more and update when I get the chance.

06 June 2005
perhaps you want to go for a watercolor/sumi look rather than the kind of painting you are doing now. look at ms@zx's work for what i mean.

06 June 2005
hpslashluvr:
heya thanks for the suggestion, i checked out the guys work you mentioned.
the technique looks suitable for this kind of project. i will experiment.

06 June 2005
wOw

Probably it does look bland because you just got started. The different shades and hues, with more light and shadow are the other steps to take.
Good luck with this one!

latest WIP: Dragonfly/Snail
www.mysundream.com
Pygmalion Project

06 June 2005
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread