Stranglehold Trailer selected top 10 at E3!

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 06 June 2005   #1
Stranglehold Trailer selected top 10 at E3!

Hello again CG Fans!
Janimation is proud to announce that Gamespot has selected John Woo's Stranglehold as one of the top 10 best game trailers of E3 2005!

So if you are one of the few who haven't yet seen it, Janimation invites you to check out the complete ( directors cut ) at:

www.janimation.com

or see it here in 3 glorious sizes here!

Small [ 320 X 180 ]
Medium [ 400 x 224 ]
Grande [ 720 X 405 ]

Feedback welcome!

Thanks!

Last edited by jdates : 06 June 2005 at 04:08 PM.

Old 06 June 2005   #2
Hey Jeff, the links have a space in them so they don't work. Just remove the space at the end and all is well.

The trailer was ok, but would've been nice to see something more original. I understand that it uses Chow's character from Hard Boiled but out right taking scenes from it is kind of weak. Also Chow looked so ugly, like someone squished his face all up.

That said there were some great moves!

Old 06 June 2005   #3
Quote:
Hey Jeff, the links have a space in them so they don't work. Just remove the space at the end and all is well.

The trailer was ok, but would've been nice to see something more original. I understand that it uses Chow's character from Hard Boiled but out right taking scenes from it is kind of weak. Also Chow looked so ugly, like someone squished his face all up.

That said there were some great moves!

Okey sorry about that. Links have been fixed!

As for something more original. Although valid, the point was to envoke the emotional impact of recognizable Woo scenes. Inspector Tequila has moved into a new medium, and we wanted to play with that concept and transcribe some of the legendary Woo scenes as well. I guess you could look at it this way. It's the first time a CG Inspector Tequila has slid down some these stairs in this Environment!! Isn't THAT original!?!?

All I can say about your critique of Chow.... Harsh.
Chow himself liked it. So I guess it's subjective.

Thanks for the feedback!!

Old 06 June 2005   #4
Good point on the scenes. I guess since I have just about worn out my laserdisc copy of Hard Boiled I wanted to see something new. I should pointed out more that your execution of those scenes was realllllly nice!

As for Chow, definitely is subjective and I'm glad for you he liked it. You must've had a blast working on this. John Woo and Chow Yun Fat are legends and to get to work with those guys, you were probably on cloud 9. Congrats man!!

Old 06 June 2005   #5
I think chow looks a little squashed to-and I made him!

Thanks for the feed back.

Making chow was a b*tch, I had no good referece to start with but we got pretty damn close.
The last two sets feed back we got from our clients on the chow head was to squish his head and after we did it once they said to squish it again. I think we only need to do it once.

The funny thing is that we got a scan of chow a week before the job was due and when we lined our head up to chows real head it lined up 99% perfectly! In fact when the game developer saw the scan vs our head they requested our head because they thought it looked more like chow then the scan did!

But I still think they had us squish him one to many times.

Greg

Old 06 June 2005   #6
Haha, that's a crack up Greg I definitely didn't mean my comments to come off harshly. Though I thought he was too squished when I saw the photo that Jeff posted, before I read anything about this and about John Woo, I absolutely knew that it was Chow. So squished comment aside you were definitely succesful in making it look like the main man!

Old 06 June 2005   #7
I am conflicted. I like the John Woo style of film making, and I can see where you were going with the shots... but honestly I didn't go there with you.

I am trying to figure out what it was that made me not get into it. I think maybe it is a combination of the look - the design, the surfacing, the lighting, which had some of the problems that human cg characters have when they aren't stylized enough - the motion, which didn't come across as pushed as it could have been, it felt a bit safe, and the camera work and editing that didn't quite capture the excitement of the action.

Were you matching the look of the interactive game?

I am sorry if I am ripping the trailer apart. I can see a lot of hard work having been put into it. I am not a big game player, so maybe I missing something completely.

Old 06 June 2005   #8
Quote:
I am trying to figure out what it was that made me not get into it. I think maybe it is a combination of the look - the design, the surfacing, the lighting, which had some of the problems that human cg characters have when they aren't stylized enough - the motion, which didn't come across as pushed as it could have been, it felt a bit safe, and the camera work and editing that didn't quite capture the excitement of the action.

Yay more feedback! hehe.
I can speak a little on these. The designs were created by our Art Dept, and designed after a resturant/Bar in Vegas. Specificly the video wall that is used to cast color through the sequences. I thought great care was taken in the design of the evironments. You have to admit that boss office is pretty pimp! Frank Lloyd Wright eat your heart out!

To speak of the stylization. The goal was to create CG humans that were appealing. To stylize them too much would have endangered the likeness we were trying to capture.
Motion was all hand-keyframed with a time constraint of about two weeks. It was not intended to be 'pushed' to a cartoon style, but to simply sell the action of the scene(s).

Quote:
I am sorry if I am ripping the trailer apart. I can see a lot of hard work having been put into it. I am not a big game player, so maybe I missing something completely.

Well, yeah, a little ripping, but it's all good. I enjoy hearing the feedback honestly.

The piece is simply the first trailer for the announcement that the game is going into production. There is very little actually created FOR the game.

I was charged with Creative Directing this "John Woo - Themed" trailer to spark interest for the game. Being a HUGE Woo fan myself, I wanted to pay tribute to the scenes that, in my opinion, made him famous in the west. The camera work, editing, I felt are very true to Woo's sensability. We set out to make a piece showcasing a CG Chow Yun Fat, blowing the bejesus out of some baddies. ( without the need to reload of course! ). I'd say we did just that.

Thanks for your thoughts. Despite them, I am still proud of the piece, and stand behind it . ( John Woo himself blessed it, and honestly, he's who we made it for! )

Old 06 June 2005   #9
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread