Bobby Chiu's Subway Sketch Groups!

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 06 June 2005   #1
Bobby Chiu's Subway Sketch Groups!

ORIGINAL IDEA FROM the one and only:

Bobby Chiu's Toronto Subway Sketch Group

The idea started with a great artists called Bobby Chiu's
who started a sketching club in the Toronto subways.
So with his permission I am expanding his idea to the whole plantet.

Check out his original thread to see some amazing art.

-Roberto

__________________________________________________ __

Ok I am trying an experiment for a few months...Let do these subway sketch groups worldwide.

ACTIVE GROUPS!Read the rules....
  • This thread is he CORE thread , it is used to ask questions, post links to individual city chapters and post the work done the chapters.
    POST HERE YOUR BEST WORK FROM YOUR LOCAL GROUP.
  • Every individual city group needs a core thread. If you want to be the leader of a group you should post a thread with the following naming convention:

Bobby Chiu's CITYNAME Subway Sketch Group YEAR
  • Every month you just need UPDATE the front page of your city thread so people know where to find you.
  • On the first page thread you should post:

MEETING LOCATION:
    MEETING DAY:
    CONTACT PERSON:
    MEETING NOTES:
  • And this disclaimer to cover everyone's ass.

DISCLAIMER: The creator of this thread, Roberto Ortiz, CgNetworks And CGTALK is not responsible on what happen on these meetings. The persons are meeting under their own accord and their actions are their own. The parties mentioned before are not responsible in no way shape or form for their actions and thus are not liable.
  • On this thread post a LINK! to your local group thread here so I can update the CORE list of groups!
  • And of course after a meeting the members should post drawings on the thread for your city. GROUP LEADERS PLEASE KEEP THE FIRST PAGE UPDATED WITH THE DATE OF THE NEXT MEETING.
  • Post in this thread the best drawings done by your group to show your "crew's work to the world....
Here is an imaginary EXAMPLE:

Bobby Chiu's WASHINGTON DC Subway Sketch Group MAY 2005

MEETING LOCATION: Union Station Platform, Shady Grove side
MEETING DAY: Sundays, 11:00 AM - 11:15 AM
CONTACT PERSON:: JOE BLOW: Joe Blow@ AOL.com

MEETING NOTES: I am with a big group from George Mason University, I will be wearing a red Jacket.

DISCLAIMER: The creator of this thread, Roberto Ortiz, CgNetworks And CGTALK is not responsible on what happen on these meetings. The persons are meeting under their own accord and their actions are their own. The parties mentioned before are not responsible in no way shape or form for their actions and thus are not liable.

-R
This message does not reflect the opinions of the US Government

Last edited by RobertoOrtiz : 11 November 2006 at 04:12 PM.

Old 06 June 2005   #2
very cool idea - Chiu's stuff along with the others in his sketch group have made some awe inspiring pieces.

I would love to form a group but I have a couple of problems...
I have no one that I know of that even looks at this site in my area (dont ask me why!)
I have no subway

Any other ideas or a way to post art. I know not everyone (including myself) checks out every forum on here, but I would love to do this more as a whole than by myself.

Anyone else from Tampa with an idea?

Old 06 June 2005   #3
All forms of public transportation work just fine...but if push comes to shove, a park will do just fine.

-R
This message does not reflect the opinions of the US Government

Old 06 June 2005   #4
I'm down! is there a group in San Francisco doing the same thing yet?

Old 06 June 2005   #5
if theres any in London, then I'm in

Old 06 June 2005   #6
I've been folowin' Chiu's sketch group thing quite some time now, some awesome skechin he does there in toronto, I was thinkin about doin the same stuff here in Stockholm...

Old 06 June 2005   #7
Hey thanks Roberto and CGTalk for doing this.

My sketchgroup in Toronto has been together now for a little over half a year now and I can really start to see improvements in many of the member's drawings. It's a great habit to have and it's been a pleasure teaching a bit about how I draw and think. I really hope this takes off because subway sketching is really a lot of fun and is a great way to meet others in the art industry!

It's one thing to draw on the transit on your half an hour ride to work but it's totally different drawing people for a couple hours in a row. I find it to be much more effective.

I've met many new friends over the months and am looking forward to meeting even more down the road.

Cheers,
Bobby

Steampunk Myths n Legends

Old 06 June 2005   #8
I'm willing to front a sketch group in san fran...I'll try to get a post started by next week...

Old 06 June 2005   #9
I'd be more than happy to start a Melbourne one, there are so many trains to choose!

Old 06 June 2005   #10
Anyone out there interested in one for Edmonton, Alberta? We don't have much of a subway but could go back and forth from the UofA to... well, wherever it ends (Capilano?). Feel free to send me an email or post a reply, because who knows when the best time to meet would be? Thanks!

PS: Yup, I'd be willing to be the group leader unless someone else feels they'd really love to!

Lovin the idea and a few of the guys from work thought it was a cool idea too.

Old 06 June 2005   #11
EDMONTON ALBERTA subway sketch club

OK, so I decided to start one up... I've been checking out Bobbys drawings for sometime too and wondering if there were sketch clubs in my area. Please, Robert, could you email me or post here if I set my group up wrong? I'm new to all of this. Thank-you.

Bobby Chius EDMONTON Subway Sketch Group 2005

MEETING LOCATION: University of Alberta LRT Station, downstairs by the trains.
MEETING DAY: Saturday, June 18 @12:00-12:15pm (TRIAL only for now...)
CONTACT PERSON: Crystal Schwengler: cschwengler@yahoo.com
MEETING NOTES: I will be wearing a dark green canvas messenger bag and holding a nice fat sketchbook of course!

I hope everyone who is afraid that their skills aren't "up to snuff" isn't discouraged and doesn't show up. Please bring friends, anyone interested, and if the weather is nice and there aren't many people in the LRT, we'll go up to the Parliament Grounds by the pool. Afterwards we can go out for drinks (if there are minors with us that's ok we'll eat somewhere instead!)

Last edited by birdybear : 06 June 2005 at 04:40 AM.

Old 06 June 2005   #12
i'm in the SF area...we could do a BART sketch group :P

Old 06 June 2005   #13
Talking sketch group in KL malaysia

ok, here goes one for Malaysia.

Bobby Chiu's Kuala Lumpur Subway Sketch Group JUNE 2005

MEETING LOCATION: KL Sentral Station, Near McD
MEETING DAY: Sundays, 04:00 PM - 04:30 PM
CONTACT PERSON:: Avi, cdtavijit 'at' yahoo.com.sg, 016 3 572 576
MEETING NOTES: This is just the starting, lets circulate this around and start the meeting from next week, June 19th onwards. I will come with a redish t shirt written "aiyah"

Other information: for the sketch group i am buying a web space of 2 GB next week and i would like to ask you all to suggest a domain name for it. I will also see if i can develop an application by the time we meet so that we can upload the art work from our comp. If can not, then c how.

Although we dont have subway, but we have LRTs, and i think KL sentral would be nice place since you can come here by putra, ktm or mono rail. Sorry for those who are taking STAR, just change in Masjid Jamek ya.

Dont worry if your drawing isnt great, I cant really draw (seriously), but lets just get together so that we can improve.

Last edited by dbluewolf : 06 June 2005 at 03:14 AM.

Old 06 June 2005   #14
Oh! This is a fantastic idea - credit to Bobby (great sketches by the way)

Well as you can tell i completly support this. I won't start a thread at this time, but if anyone from Melbourne Australia is interested in this PM me and ill start a thread as well as editing this with the thread details.

Old 06 June 2005   #15
I am in Ottawa, Canada - are there any other people from Ottawa?

Gord

My Anatomy Thread

My Website

Good Facial Expressions Resource:

http://www.artnatomia.net/uk/artnatomy.html

Thread Closed share thread