How to make dreadlocks

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

06 June 2005
How to make dreadlocks

does anyone know how to create manageable dreadlocks in maya that will animate with keyframe animation as well as dynamics? Speed is definitely an issue. Thanks

06 June 2005
a dreadlock is basically a cylinder, add displacement map and texture, create a bone chain, set up IK, voila

06 June 2005
I'd say spater has basically nailed it down. Though you'd definitely get more responses in the Maya section of these boards.

06 June 2005
I have a full head of them though, which are thin. Isnt threre another way other than bones?

06 June 2005
Some dreadlocks can be difficult to make especially is they are not fully matted down. I'm refering to the authentic Rastafarian dreadlocks- not the stringy hippie dreadlocks.

06 June 2005
i saw the title and thought u were thinking on doing drealocks on your hair....man those are disgusting

yuck

06 June 2005
i rekon you could skin an entire section of the hair to a single bone chain and have the chain's influence falloff into the next chain. I'm speaking in general terms, not program specific

06 June 2005
Looking to make dreads of this caliber right here
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Reef2_small.jpg (62.2 KB, 80 views)

06 June 2005
Not a maya-guy but this should apply to any decent 3d-app. Use a segmented 3 to 6 sideded cylinder that is a subdivision surface. Apply constrants and roational limits with IK using animated goals and restraints say half-way up the dred-shaft (to control curve caused by move/bounce.)

Also, overlap the gaps so one does'nt see the ends of each cylinder-end when it deforms... You only need bones for a seamless polycage which I think could be avoided entirely here considering the infinte density of hair and considering the sheer number of dredlock cylinders...

eh?

Last edited by glassefx : 06 June 2005 at 09:46 PM.

06 June 2005
i now need the dreads to move individually and to swing and react accordingly when the head or body is moving. Any suggestions?

06 June 2005
I've never done any dynamics or simulations but I would think my above idea would do the trick if the goals were being effected by physics.

06 June 2005
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread