WIP - Interior Lighting In Cinema...

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 06 June 2005   #1
WIP - Interior Lighting In Cinema...

is sometimes a pain as we all know, i think i have discovered a new setup which i think works quite well

This is a work in progress of an old scene that i have attempted to light in many different ways over the past months, i have not finished the modeling as i have never been happy with the lighting so far

Anyway let me know if anyone is intersted in my light setup and i will explain

(rendertime - 48 minutes - needs higher samples though for final render) 3 lights in the scene

sorry the sofa belongs to twilight - i must replace it

Old 06 June 2005   #2
Wow excellent lighting, is your technique very different that the others ?

Old 06 June 2005   #3
Thanks daberman - basically the 3 lights are - sunlight (hard spot), one omni with soft shadows to brighten dark areas of the room and reduce artifacts and one omni with no shadows which is set to include only emiters which are polygons that i have set in the windows (hidden by camera) - this light is on about 800%

Old 06 June 2005   #4
If you look in the mirror, you'll be able to see those polygonal emitters in the reflection of the windows.

Even though this light setup looks good, I'll stay away from it since its not how nature works and could end up making an image looking rather unrealistic. To make renders as real as possible, you need to light a scene and make that light simulate real world light very closely. This is what radiosity is for.

Old 06 June 2005   #5
Originally Posted by HSH: Even though this light setup looks good, I'll stay away from it since its not how nature works and could end up making an image looking rather unrealistic. To make renders as real as possible, you need to light a scene and make that light simulate real world light very closely. This is what radiosity is for.

yes but... in photography a lot of artificial light is used (for interiors studio shots etc) - reflector panels, and things like this

true about the emitters reflecting in the tv - i could fix that for a final image, at the moment it doesnt bother me

Old 06 June 2005   #6
Originally Posted by HSH: To make renders as real as possible, you need to light a scene and make that light simulate real world light very closely. This is what radiosity is for.

This is only true if you're trying to reproduce a natural lighting setup. Even then it isn't true as radiosity is a mimic of how light works, but falls short. Hence the little helpers to make it "feel" right.

Old 06 June 2005   #7
Cool.

Did you use the SLA shaders? I wisch you could share the c4d-file... :-)

Old 06 June 2005   #8
Originally Posted by Ric_535: Thanks daberman - basically the 3 lights are - sunlight (hard spot), one omni with soft shadows to brighten dark areas of the room and reduce artifacts and one omni with no shadows which is set to include only emiters which are polygons that i have set in the windows (hidden by camera) - this light is on about 800%

A good work here, but just one question: why do not use the Area Light near the windows instead of the omni?

Old 06 June 2005   #9
pegasus - its all bitmaps,

MrBraun - i have done many many many tests with area lights, omnis, emitters etc and i have found this tecnique to work best - the omni isnt actually anywhere near the windows though

here is twilights old scene where i used a similir technique to the one above

Old 06 June 2005   #10
Is a great result: can u post one example file??

Old 06 June 2005   #11
Originally Posted by MrBraun: Is a great result: can u post one example file??

Yes it would be interesting to me to.

cheers
::neosushi::

Old 06 June 2005   #12
very interesting, yes a test scene file would be very kind:-)

cheers

stefan

Old 06 June 2005   #13
looking good and the images have a natural feel and depth. But what about the splotches?
How high are the rendertimes without splotches?
And did you use colormapping?

(¯`·.¸¸.--.¸¸.·`¯)

tonfarben.com

(¯`·.¸¸.--.¸¸.·`¯)

Old 06 June 2005   #14
This is a test render with one Distant LIght and one area light with soft shadow into windows!

No post work !

Last edited by MrBraun : 06 June 2005 at 03:21 PM.

Old 06 June 2005   #15
not bad mr braun

here is twilights scene with textures

about 30 mins (forgot to check exactly)

800 x 600
AA Best

Strength 100%
Accuracy 80%
Prepass Size 1/1
Diffuse Depth 2
Stochastic Samples 800
Min. Resolution 140