first post::still::my computer

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 10 October 2002   #1
First Post : Still : Computer/Monitor (GI)

I finally got the courage to post something for c&c, here's something I did about a year ago just for kicks on my iMac before I got my new computer (kinda a previz I guess)

keep in mind I was fifteen at the time (just turned sixteen), and the back of the monitor was my first spline model, but its still one of my favorite images. I have the project on a zip disk somewhere so as soon as I find that I'll post some wire frames and fix a few things (notice the floating battery and lack of center to the cds hehe) and also do a better quality render (render times were hell on an iMac).

oh yeah, it was modeled and rendered in Lightwave 6.5, and the CD textures and windows desktop are from random sources.

thanks...

EDIT: Scroll down for updated final
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mycomp2.jpg (48.3 KB, 887 views)

Last edited by rattfink : 10 October 2002 at 09:32 PM.

Old 10 October 2002   #2
Very grany but is beauty

Old 10 October 2002   #3
great work.. only complaint is (apart from being grainy) that the battery next to the computer looks like its floating

other than that excellent work man, great stuff

Old 10 October 2002   #4
the grainy look is annoying....also the centre of the disks look a tad too transparent.....the modelling is excellent!!

Old 10 October 2002   #5
pretty good, but one thing, if you're a creative person(which you are by this work), how come you got the disguisting xp wallpaper?! eeeeww!

Old 10 October 2002   #6
OK, found the disk and fixed its problems and re rendered it, here's the final, tell me what you think.

igor: I used that wallpaper because when the first image was rendered, XP had just come out, and I didn't have it (I was on a mac then), so I found an image in a Windows XP review for the screen.

ps. the image lost a lot of quality compressing it down to >50k
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mycomp2.jpg (43.2 KB, 606 views)

Old 10 October 2002   #7
Very nice !

My only criticism: tidy up your desk !

And now go ahead and model one of those new iMacs...

Old 10 October 2002   #8
Wow, thats some great work for someone your age!
Congrats, keep going!

Old 10 October 2002   #9
How'd you get the Coke can texture?

Old 10 October 2002   #10
Hehehe you shouldn't leave those pirated cds lying around on your desk

Nice work
It's a good thing that you seem to have discovered the "Shading Noise Reduction" option
Well done

Old 10 October 2002   #11
Hi,

Man you are Realy Crazy
This is amazing Real Life !!!
wow

bye

FastRay

Old 10 October 2002   #12
looking good man!
but.. you shouldn't be using a DvD drive as the primary cd rom... dvd's get worn out real easy

Old 10 October 2002   #13
Nice work, and good day light too.
Your shadows are perhaps too sharp else than for a brighter direct sun than the one you figured. The tint is ok, though.
What package did you used ?

But it's really a shame you modelled such a used concept (Right, you are only 15/16). I know people who rendered cigarettes packs, ashtrays, and even their lava lamp (I'v done that too, gasp! This ain't a shame).

Now, stop kidding. and keep up the good job.

Gwen Heliou
CG supe / TD - Ubisoft Digital Arts

Old 10 October 2002   #14
aww man.... put the huge domino back in the render.. where'd it go?

Old 10 October 2002   #15
Marc Andreoli: thanks, and my real desk is much worse lol.

Joril: thanks

bcole23: I pieced the coke texture together from alot of places. but the bottle image actually came from another coke can texture that was lying around my computer.

Leigh: thanks, and actually I didn't use shade noise reduction, I used more rays per evaluation, and better jpeg compression.

FastRay: thanks, man

Opeth: thanks, couldn't afford both, so I went with Dvd.. it hasn't broken yet (knock on wood ) oh and Opeth is one of the greatest bands, can't wait till their new CD.

Biohazard: thanks, the shadows are a little too sharp probably, but I liked the higher constrasting shadows more then the realistic ones I tried, so I went with them. I used Lightwave.
And about the overused concept, see I was about to get a new computer, so I decided to model it using images I found online. and I had just descovered GI so I had to try something photorealistic. now I'm moving on to more abstract things (not swrilly volmetric lights and stuff, just more abscract then this hehe). but I find adding details MUCH harder without a good concept..

liquidhalf: lmao, that was a badly modeled/textured deck of cards that came in at the last minute. maybe I should add a giant domino tho...

share thread