Takita and Maloma

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

05 May 2005
Takita and Maloma

Long time ago, while reading about the perception of forms and sounds in some psychology study, I came across a facinating issue, that is the relationship between shapes and pronunciation as we perceive them. The following example is like that:

Which shape is takita, and which is maloma?
Those two shapes and names are absent of any meaning in any language, but everyone, wherever she/he comes from, and at any age capable of language would give the same answer.

How do you explain this?

Last edited by ashakarc : 05 May 2005 at 09:27 PM.

05 May 2005
if the answer is the round one is maloma cause
it sounds more round ,smooth and flowing and the other
is takita cause it looks that way too in comparison
then i found no strange stuff here, it's just logical, but
then again i'm just squibbit

05 May 2005
I remember reading about this before-- shorter, more eclipsed words give themselves to shorter, acute angles. It's almost like visual onamatopoeia.

05 May 2005
Originally Posted by Squibbit: if the answer is the round one is maloma cause
it sounds more round ,smooth and flowing and the other
is takita cause it looks that way too in comparison
then i found no strange stuff here, it's just logical, but
then again i'm just squibbit

Thanks Squibbit, that is precisely the point, what makes you think 'maloma' is round, smooth and flowing?
How is logic inherent in our perceptions?!

05 May 2005
I guess because the "i" vowel is sharp; on the other hand the "o" vowel causes roundness in the mouth, hence the sharp angular can be understood as takita and the round smooth is maloma...

Latest Work

05 May 2005
Originally Posted by paperclip: I remember reading about this before-- shorter, more eclipsed words give themselves to shorter, acute angles. It's almost like visual onamatopoeia.

Wow, thanks paperclip, I didn't know about onomatopoeia before.

m-w.com:
onomatopoeia:
1 : the naming of a thing or action by a vocal imitation of the sound associated with it (as buzz, hiss)
2 : the use of words whose sound suggests the sense

05 May 2005
Whoops, spelt it wrong! I used to be able to spell it properly... hope it's not early onset of memory loss...

Onomatopoeia is a word many people learn in English and it is a functional part of poetry-- for example, in G.M Hopkins' 'Spring':
'The thrush does so rinse and wring the ear, it strikes like lightning to hear him sing'-- the words 'rinse and wring' sounds rather like birdsong in itself- and so does the word 'sing'.

Visually, I would agree with mohanned in that deeper, flatter sounds relate to deeper, flatter designs.

Either way you look at it, it's an interesting concept.

05 May 2005
Similarly, in nature, where lightning with the takita shape has the deep authoritative sound and with many intervals, while winds with the maloma softness of sound and flow has less than obvious intervals.
I used this long time ago to research music and architecture, and how significant it is to be able to relate our visual creations to music, this will not only help us expand our understanding of the world of senses around us, but also understand how culture evolve where art, music, and architecture follow similar schools of thought, as in Classicism, Modernism, Constructivism, Post Modernism, Deconstructivism, etc..

05 May 2005
Originally Posted by ashakarc: I used this long time ago to research music and architecture, and how significant it is to be able to relate our visual creations to music, this will not only help us expand our understanding of the world of senses around us, but also understand how culture evolve where art, music, and architecture follow similar schools of thought, as in Classicism, Modernism, Constructivism, Post Modernism, Deconstructivism, etc..

The creations of a same school of thought are similar in that they have similar rythms.
I would think that visual, auditory, or kinetic rythms are all mingled in our memory and brain processes.

Ever thought about what creation really is? In my opinion, it's all about reproducing rythms we have encountered, but in a different media.

05 May 2005
Originally Posted by Jean Genie: The creations of a same school of thought are similar in that they have similar rythms.
I would think that visual, auditory, or kinetic rythms are all mingled in our memory and brain processes.

Ever thought about what creation really is? In my opinion, it's all about reproducing rythms we have encountered, but in a different media.

Very interesting hypothesis. I'm just trying to think about rythme and commonality between diciplines, yeh it makes sense, but it's not all inclusive. Based on this theory, we are all jamming in a big jamming session called life..cool..I really love this idea..

By the way, are you a jazz musician, just a guess!

05 May 2005
I'm guessing that as soon as we recognise(d) something with our brains, we immediately go to scanning for changes in it. Like a hunter for movement or prey for signs of the predator. This is inherently linked to time, and I think that after seeing the logic of the world when it happens, all those things are linked together pretty quickly. if the lines representefd moving objects they'd make those, 'tak'for a quick sharp edged line, and the softer sounding m for 'smooth'curves. Pretty interesting I agree. Something to use in film. Thanks for bringing that up, I'd have overlooked it maybe.

in writing by hand the takima would be intellectual and the other one would be emotional.
modelling practice #1

05 May 2005
Originally Posted by jmBoekestein:
in writing by hand the takima would be intellectual and the other one would be emotional.

Actually, if we try to make a composite of both "takimoma", we would start seeing a resemblence to writing,

Last edited by ashakarc : 05 May 2005 at 06:59 PM.

05 May 2005
this looks like sikwoo, to me

Latest Work

05 May 2005
Originally Posted by ashakarc: Thanks Squibbit, that is precisely the point, what makes you think 'maloma' is round, smooth and flowing?
How is logic inherent in our perceptions?!

even the mouth pronouncing it goes more smoothly with maloma

u got a round smooth stone in your hand and u throw it against
a rock it goes 'takita' and bounces off sharply
you take the same stone and roll it across a rock face and it goes 'maloma'
, yes?

05 May 2005
Originally Posted by Squibbit: even the mouth pronouncing it goes more smoothly with maloma

u got a round smooth stone in your hand and u throw it against
a rock it goes 'takita' and bounces off sharply
you take the same stone and roll it across a rock face and it goes 'maloma'
, yes?

Hahaha..great example. :]

Thread Closed share thread