PCI Express or AGP

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 05 May 2005   #1
PCI Express or AGP

I'm going to change my personal machine and i have a big doubt

Is the new PCI Express technology compatible with Lightwave ?

I suppose the answer is yes, but Lightwave's Specifications says it needs an AGP Graphic Card.
I think that afirmation is obsolete, but, i want to feel sure about that.

By the way ... supposedly PCX is much faster than AGP technology although actual graphical technology doesn't take full advantage of that. Is that true ?

Any experiences ?

Thanks.

Old 05 May 2005   #2
PCI-express is compatible with Lightwave or vice-versa.

If you're making or buying a new system there's little point in having AGP because PCI-E is designed as a replacement for it. PCI-E cards are widely available offer higher specs, faster memory & data transfer & also the ability to link two cards together (providing the motherboard supports it) via SLi. This enables the two cards to work as a single one, combining the memory & processing power. Many people have found that it can be cheaper to have two mid range cards working together in SLi mode than having a single hi-end card. Of course you can buy just one & when you have some spare money (& when the cards have dropped in price) buy another to boost your performance.
PCI-E is not just a graphics port either, many of the current mobo's have additional 1x PCI-E slots for sound cards etc.

It's always wise to buy the best that you can. You can't future-proof a PC but you can buy the newest technology to make future upgrades easier. AGP cards will be around for a little while as yet but they'll soon stop producing them to the same specs as the PCI-E ones, they've already began to reach their upper limit with regards to performance whereas PCI-E has only just begun.

http://immersivevr.co.uk

Old 05 May 2005   #3
Thanks, that's the answer i wanted to read.

Old 05 May 2005   #4
Also, I believe the AMD 939 and 940 boards are upgradeable to dual-core cpu's, in case you need to upgrade along that path.

Old 05 May 2005   #5
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread