Is this how it is to be "Burnt out"?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 05 May 2005   #1
Is this how it is to be "Burnt out"?

something is wrong with me, somethings not there anymore, like a zombie or something. after a month or so of trying to set up a important trip to LA in July, trying to perfect layout of my portfolio, trying desperately to create good pieces for that portfolio and failing hard. Ive think ive officially burnt out.

i cant even play videogames the same, they used to be stress relievers but now theres nothing, no fun, is it becaus there no good game out there or am i just not excited about games anymore, god damn what the hell is wrong with me.

any one know how to get out of this state of mind? how do artist come back from this feeling?

Old 05 May 2005   #2
Yeah, I've had that happen before, usually after a marathon session of programming or painting. Sometimes I can pick up a new game, and that helps. I haven't been happy with a lot of the new stuff coming out recently, so -that- avenue hasn't been working so well for me.

So, I've taken to finding some other things. Generally I've found that it helps to get out of the office/apartment entirely, do something active. I've been exploring some of the nearby state parks, hiking a little bit.

I like to think that new experiences, new places, lead to new creativity. And aside from that, a little fresh air and exercise can do wonders for your stress level! If the outdoors aren't your thing, maybe go out to a club or a theme park or something.

Basically, I think you just need a break and to get away from it for a day or two

Old 05 May 2005   #3
Go for a walk. If you don't want to, force yourself. Walk amongst nature for at least half an hour every day, not going anywhere. You will feel better. This is almost guaranteed!!
I say 'almost' because if you have clinical depression-- that's a whole another story.

Old 05 May 2005   #4
Originally Posted by chenzan: something is wrong with me, somethings not there anymore, like a zombie or something. after a month or so of trying to set up a important trip to LA in July, trying to perfect layout of my portfolio, trying desperately to create good pieces for that portfolio and failing hard. Ive think ive officially burnt out.

i cant even play videogames the same, they used to be stress relievers but now theres nothing, no fun, is it becaus there no good game out there or am i just not excited about games anymore, god damn what the hell is wrong with me.

any one know how to get out of this state of mind? how do artist come back from this feeling?

If it keeps up, seek professional medical help - seriously...
Gord

My Anatomy Thread

My Website

Good Facial Expressions Resource:

http://www.artnatomia.net/uk/artnatomy.html

Old 05 May 2005   #5
This happens to me probably everyother week for a couple days or so. When this happens I begin to clean the house. Soak in favorite films - images- and dissect why I like them. And then I drink beer, then make plans with some pals to get out of town.

Then the natural creative flow seeps back in and I'm able to walk and chew gum again. The important thing is to not stress about feeling dry - if you do creative hiates will last longer.

Ofcourse, we don't always have the luxury for mental health days. During those moments I can only say "good-luck" and make sure you keep up on food, water, and vitamins.

Last edited by stepington : 05 May 2005 at 03:10 AM.

Old 05 May 2005   #6
Quote: Go for a walk. If you don't want to, force yourself. Walk amongst nature for at least half an hour every day, not going anywhere. You will feel better. This is almost guaranteed!!

i second this! go out, find a nice place, lie down, read a book, relax

Old 05 May 2005   #7
i recommend Bill Bryson's A Short History Of Nearly Everything.

oh, and don't panic!

Old 05 May 2005   #8
This is why it's so important to be a well-rounded person, not just a guy who plays video games and do CG. Try other things like music, photography, writing, dancing, taking trips to museums, play sports (if you don't like sports, try other physical fun things like paint ball, airsoft, horseback riding..etc), learn to cook, keep a pet, hangout with friends, read books about things you normally wouldn't..etc.

Old 05 May 2005   #9
"when all else fail, pray"

please dont take the above words to be negative, i dont have any intention other than helping chenzan of his burning out dillemma(?)

i do also walk to a park nearby my house just watching teenagers playing basketball,
or sometimes sit down in a crowd (which i quite rarely do),
just basically get away from the office desktop (and bedroom - where i spend most of my time doing more tutorials ) and catch up with people.

one more tips that work for me, is to do some not so time consuming artwork for girlfriend (which i dont have for the past 2.5 years ) or friends that arent into CG as much as we do, get praises from them, it feels good and works like a charm to me.

hope my tips work

Old 05 May 2005   #10
Welcome to maturity and growing old. That's exactly how it feels.
(Now just wait to have a couple of kids...you'll know what's having 100% worries, 0% free time).

P.S.: Yeah, nowadays games suck! :(
http://tayetefantasy.blogspot.com

Old 05 May 2005   #11
Originally Posted by chenzan: any one know how to get out of this state of mind? how do artist come back from this feeling?

Give yourself and your brain a break. Go out and get some fresh air. Walk around places you don't normally go. Call people to see if they're up for doing something. Find some nature you can interact with. Eat healthier food for a while if you've been binging on snacks & coffee. Replace softdrinks with pure water or fruit juices for a while. Watch some good arthouse movies. Read some classic literature. fold some paperplanes. put your feet up and switch off for a couple of minutes.

Old 05 May 2005   #12
Originally Posted by rendermania: Eat healthier food for a while if you've been binging on snacks & coffee. Replace softdrinks with pure water or fruit juices for a while.

Yeah, forgot about that, but dropping the caffeine and sugar for a bit can help out a lot too. Just be careful with that, can get you bad headaches if you do it too fast and are acustom to a lot of it.

Old 05 May 2005   #13
I reccomend take a weekend off from doing any thing and i reccomend you just watch your favourite movie, come monday morning try a quick sketch and just play around for a bit then try painting a charater/scene from the movie. This should help.

Good luck !

Old 05 May 2005   #14
Yea, I had that a couple months ago so I decided to take a drive down to the Keys for the day. I not only didn't make it down there, due to an accident, but down there the highway is generally only 2 lanes. There were injuries and people needed to be airlifted to the hospital, but the helicopter couldnt land on only 2 lanes of highway, so he landed about a mile back north in the 4 lane passing zone. I was stuck in the middle for the afternoon as they were shuttling people from the accident to the chopper. I drove home feeling a lot worse then previously!! lol

I'm hoping to try again in a couple of weeks.... So much for my one day break after a 7 month marathon.

Do more exercise, take breaks (yea, easier said than done), but you have to give your brain a rest and keep your body moving. Get to a park or something and listen to music and just forget everything...

Old 05 May 2005   #15
Are you seeing the pattern here?

I agree that getting outside and walking or getting any kind of exercise will benefit the brain as much as the body.

I generally have 30 mins a day to myself. I either play a quick game of BBall on the xbox or walk the dogs. Inevitably, the dog walking makes me feel better, clears my mind and makes me feel human again.

Nature is the most creative and diverse thing I can think of. When burned out, why not go to an unlimited source of inspiration. Outdoors.

Thread Closed share thread