THE COMIC STRIP! :Stephen Broome 2005: Will it ever be?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 05 May 2005   #1
THE COMIC STRIP! :Stephen Broome 2005: Will it ever be?

After the 2d challenge i thought i'd see how the sketch forum was going and apparently a new comic challenge/ongoing has been added in. As comics are my favorite medium i'll probably focus on this. my understanding of the rules is a bit shaky but as i understand it i put all writing, sketches, works in progress here, then upload the finished pages sequentially in the core section of the sketch forum? if so i'll just use this as a good chance for some freeform writing and go from there. I'll do all these in photoshop and letter in illustrator just like regular comics.

theme "Will it ever be?"

since we're allowed to establish ongoing characters i'll make one up on the spot for these. not sure if i can hit more than 2 or 3 pages a month but i'd like to find out if i can link all the pages together and change the direction of the conversation/stories based on each m onth's new topic? if so i'd prefer that.

okay i'll just write and go with it - based on a loose idea i had a couple of months ago i haven't ever actually written on.

Sage Thurmond (flexible - just like the way that sounds) is a late 20's, typical, office working corporate lackey. He spends all day playing tetris and surfing minimized browser windows on his company's computer. As he falls asleep one day in his cubicle a glitch causes a bullet that kills someone in a parallel universe to fly through his head instead. As a result, the beuracracy of the afterlife leads to the process of his death (or non death) being delayed for a period of time. to keep him 'busy' Raine is given a stopwatch. With this watch and his ability to travel anywhere within walking distance of his place of 'death' Raine can pull anyone into this limbo with him and talk to them for 3 minutes without disturbing the reality around them. the words he shares with them however will still be in their memory when they return.

I'd like to do setup with the first few months of story, him getting shot, the murder in the parallel galaxy (if i decide to keep that as the glitch, probably throw in an astronomical event) and how he talks to the people closes to him he didn't have the courage to face in his living life. And, with such a mundane living what does the afterlife hold? will he want to go back or become a laywer in defense of his own right to die? I think an over the top afterlife court room would be hilarious. i'd also like the idea of a parallel person who becomes immortal because of the glitch and will throw in ideas as the monthly topics allow.

this concept probably makes little sense frankly i don't draw much inspiration from superhero comics even though i like them, so if anybody has questions let me know. there wont' be a ton of action but i'll try to keep the dialogue interesting enough to make up for it.

Old 05 May 2005   #2
page 01 script

again i'm almost writing and drawing concurrently it's a good ay to get as much done as possible and i'm doing everything including lettering so... why not. i haven't used illustrator in a few months so lettering will be a great way to get back into that. I wrote about 10 pages last night i'll just upload the script for every page i'm working on altho i'm not sure i'll stay in exact order all the time.

Page 1

Panel 1: CU dead body, face up on the floor.

Harold 110: Allllright. Why do I have no splatter?

Bob 250: That’s nothing.

Panel 2: Harold 110 examines a wall for evidence.

Harold 110: Meaning?

Bob 250: We have no splatter, we also have no entry wound from the bullet.

Bob 250: The head is charred, but there’s no actual entry.

Harold 110: so he’s… he hit his head on the fall?

Bob 250: Really goddamn hard I’d say. We aren’t going to find a bullet.

Panel 3: bob 250 speaks from above the body, a small crowd outside the liquor store tries to look inside.

Bob 250: Worst part is I don’t think he’s dead.

Harold 110: that’s terrible…

Panel 4: The rest of the crime scene is revealed, a gun lays near the dead man’s hands and out of the window we see the streetfront.

Bob 250: No shit. The last time this happened it was caused by a dimension eclipse. The paperwork. Loooooord the paperwork. You wouldn’t believe it..

Harold 110: No. I mean if he is supposed to be dead and isn’t then… so wait somebody here is gonna die that doesn’t deserve it?

Bob 250: I wish it was that simple! Like I said, last time this happened it was a dimensional eclipse. Temporal… vibra…

Bob 250: I don’t know - whatever it’s called the thing is somebody on Terra 13 died from a huge car accident on our plane.

Old 05 May 2005   #3
page 01

jpeg of pg 1 in progress.

Last edited by malcolmvexxed : 05 May 2005 at 01:03 AM.

Old 05 May 2005   #4
page 01 stage 02

Starting to lay in more foundation colors i'll save in depth rendering for last. also throwing in my perspective lines.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg page01.jpg (96.9 KB, 14 views)

Old 06 June 2005   #5
Hades concept #1

using hades as a start. I already know what i want him to look like in my head. As the consumer of souls not deemed worthy of moving to the next stage of existence, his 'mouth' extends from beneath his nose to his belly. looking past the teeth will seem to be infinite levels of depth, the abyss that serves in effect as damnation.

Old 06 June 2005   #6
Another page in progress.

getting the feel for DEATH and the ABYSS character.

Script is also fully done and can be found at the same link.

Old 06 June 2005   #7
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread