Good News: Reducing Vue Render Times

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 05 May 2005   #1
Good News: Reducing Vue Render Times

I was looking with an avg. 1hr 10 minute frames rendering out to 640x480. I've cut that time considerably by adjusting the GI quality in ballance with the number of light samples used. A simple Photoshop Gausian blur of 0.5 would achieve the same look as the video still.
What was supposed to take 58 hours using 5 PCs has been trimmed down to 15 hours.

This is probably best used in a large panning outdoor scene like I am working on. Nothing stays close to the camera long enough to warrant the finer settings. The true test will be in seeing how the final render runs.

A Note:
I don't know why, but the process of rendering to animation adds time to the render process by a few minutes.

Old 05 May 2005   #2
Update

I just encoded the latest test and it looks pretty promising. The grain isn't as evident from the video compression, so I will up the Distance Blur on the next test.

>TEST MOVIE LINK< Windows media 2.3MB HQ VBR

In the Advanced Effects option its Default is 100 so I bumped it up 144 and increased the Harmonic Distance Quality to 60%. Everything else is at 50%. I am going to raise Distance Blurring to Intensity of 40% and Max Radius of .40

Last edited by richcz3 : 05 May 2005 at 07:20 PM.

Old 05 May 2005   #3
Rick,

Thanks for sharing your findings as you progress along with Vue. For those of us looking to possibly add Vue Infinite to our toolsets, this is great information!

regards,
Larry

Old 05 May 2005   #4
thanks for sharing rich.
have to say it´s a healthy amount of time you´ve saved up there

Old 05 May 2005   #5
Saving to sequential images is also better because you can more easily do post work and compositing with them. In other programs, you run into longer times because of compression and whatever the program has to do to build the animation (temp files, etc.), so it's probably the same in Vue.

Kevin

Old 05 May 2005   #6
Even more reductions

Thanks guys. I did another test last night and expected to come in this afternoon to see it still rendering. I was surprised that I rendered more frames in 5 hours 45min. Fair being fair, it was a different camera using the same terrain but a different path.

> New_TEST_Movie_Clip <

I reduced the GI quality to -2.5 and ikept the number of Indirect light samples at 144.

>HELP< I am having a devil of a time figuring out how to smooth the camera rotations and movements. I can't find the per keyframe adjustment. Any help would be appreciated.

Kevin, How are you able to save image sequences?
I can't render my animations to TGAs. On E-Ons Infinite forums its been mentioned to be a bug.

Last edited by richcz3 : 05 May 2005 at 12:21 AM.

Old 05 May 2005   #7
Hey Rich,

I haven't updated the software so maybe that's why it works for me...maybe it's a recent bug.
I just tried it again and I was able to quickly render out a sequence of TGAs ...16 frames at 320x240.

Just in case for anyone not familiar ... On Animation Render Options...Under Animation Limits... you can select Render entire animation if you'd like...Go to Channel Files, click on Browse and select Targa from the Save as ...Animation Files dropdown list...enter your file name and check whatever other options you want and go to town.

Kevin

Last edited by Kevin Sanderson : 05 May 2005 at 07:48 PM.

Old 05 May 2005   #8
... I have updated and my vue/inf works well saving image sequences

Old 05 May 2005   #9
... but the first time i was searching the "save to image file" I was confused finding it under "Browse" button

Old 05 May 2005   #10
Thanks for the heads up guys, I was trying to accomplish this from the Render Options. This is definately good news.
cheers,

Old 05 May 2005   #11
yeah i also prefer to save as image seequences since you do get better end quality and control.

Old 05 May 2005   #12
I am still getting strobing on the building masts at a distance. I initialy believed the problem was related to the 320x240 res, but its evident at 640x480 even with increased AA settings. Bumping AA to 95% increases render time by 2x and doesn't resolve the issue.

> Test Movie Link < 3.5 MB Windows media

95% AA @ 640x480 (sample from rendered TGA)

This is a problem because I have a series of bombers and fighter aircraft that have radio antennae and other thin details that I am concerned they will strobe at distance.
Any advice here would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by richcz3 : 05 May 2005 at 07:46 PM.

Old 05 May 2005   #13
richcz3;

Another potential source for that kind of strobing effect is in the actual renderfarm. Windows boxes are particularly vulnerable to trash in the registry that never gets cleaned up. Exposed COM entries can destabilize a RenderCow, and anything that grabs the memory access from it can create strobing or other artifacts (in a fight between a foreground app and a background app like the Cow, the Cow loses every time, unless the OS is set to give priority to the background services). Since you're rendering to targa, check and see if there is a correlation with the strobing frames; a consistent strobe (like every 10th frame, regardless) pretty much puts it in the controlling box and the apps there. A strobe that varies moves the issue out onto the farm, and it usually will be one box that is the culprit (based on a 5 node farm; there may be something in there that would expand the issue if you had a larger farm, but that is what I've observed on my systems).

Old 05 May 2005   #14
Rich,

It sucks having to deal with these kinds of problems. It almost appears that on random frames, the clouds are being rendered over portions of the antenna/mast.

Have you tried a test just rendering the building against a solid color background?

I can't remember if you're a Lightwave guy, but have you tried a similar move with said object using your primary 3D package to see if you're getting the same problem there?

I had a similar issue once with LW (and NTSC) and had to crank up the motion blur in order to "fatten" up thin lines so they wouldn't disappear between video fields. Your problem does however look different to what I was dealing with.

Craig Paup
Digital Efx Group

Old 05 May 2005   #15
Originally Posted by Dale B: richcz3;

Another potential source for that kind of strobing effect is in the actual renderfarm. Windows boxes are particularly vulnerable to trash in the registry that never gets cleaned up. Exposed COM entries can destabilize a RenderCow, and anything that grabs the memory access from it can create strobing or other artifacts (in a fight between a foreground app and a background app like the Cow, the Cow loses every time, unless the OS is set to give priority to the background services). Since you're rendering to targa, check and see if there is a correlation with the strobing frames; a consistent strobe (like every 10th frame, regardless) pretty much puts it in the controlling box and the apps there. A strobe that varies moves the issue out onto the farm, and it usually will be one box that is the culprit (based on a 5 node farm; there may be something in there that would expand the issue if you had a larger farm, but that is what I've observed on my systems).

So, what do you suggest to eliminate this windows-related problem?
You can also change the priority of tasks, making background ones more important:
go to Task manager, select the process you want assign a higher priority, right mouse button, change priority.

Best Regards
Francesco

Thread Closed share thread