Lord of the posts

portfolio
Dimitri Loginowski
VFX Artist + Designer
Handsome, LLC
Beverly Hills, USA

Send a message via AIM to stooch
Read before buying this program.

Ok, i edited my original post because some users felt that I have no right to be asking for help since its my fault for jumping into the program with such short deadlines, so I want to make it clear that this thread is primarily intended to share the experiences of a new user to the program and what to expect after dropping 1k for this beta.

ok, onwards with original post:

----------------------

Have been looking at messiah to animate with lightwave, more specifically, have been looking at autorig as the main reason for buying messiah. i have a tight deadline need to animate ASAP and THERE IS NOT AUTORIG!!! WTF. Why is it on their main page and tutorials for it and then there is no hint of it in the program? This is illegal. totally false advertising and sueable.

im so pissed its not even funny.

worst of all, the rigging tutorials are pathetic in the docs and im expected to BUY an additional CD just so that i can use this program? Whats the point? Im not unfamiliar with character setup but the horrible documentation has totally killed the learning curve. huge thumbs down from me so far.

Last edited by stooch : 05-22-2005 at 12:45 AM.

Old 05-19-2005, 02:56 PM   #2
biliousfrog
Borkalork! Borkalork!

portfolio
Steve Bjorck
Thinking...not thwimming!
Eggbox Studios
Lowestoft, United Kingdom

Send a message via MSN to biliousfrog
yep, I'm with you there, same thing happened to me. I think it was pulled with the last update so if you've just installed it & then updated maybe go back to the older version. There was an issue with the updated autorig so they pulled it, I have no idea why they didn't just go back to the old version. There's a newer version being worked on at present but I can't see a reason for stopping users from access to the old version.

It is false advertising & it's one of the reasons that I've felt let down by it especially after the fantastic pre sales support & info on this forum. It is still a great app especially for animation, I've just made a prat of myself in another thread for slagging it off without digging deep enough. I'd recommend playing with all the other great tools & working your way around it & hopefully we'll get an explaination soon. It's still quicker to rig in Messiah than many other apps, it's just a shame that that tool has temporarily gone.

Old 05-19-2005, 03:23 PM   #3
stooch
Lord of the posts

portfolio
Dimitri Loginowski
VFX Artist + Designer
Handsome, LLC
Beverly Hills, USA

well i installed the patch because the OGL looked like crap with all the text corrupting and all. is there a way to use the original prepatch with the OGL fix?

Old 05-19-2005, 04:58 PM   #4
Sil3
Are we there yet?

portfolio
Marco Antonio Peixoto
A few Keys here and there
TeamTO
Valence, France

Quote:
Originally Posted by stooch

Im not unfamiliar with character setup but the horrible documentation has totally killed the learning curve. huge thumbs down from me so far.

If u are familiar with character setup then getting to know Messiah rigging tools are not that hard IMO.

I do agree that the docs need "special" care for a long time now.

Old 05-19-2005, 05:07 PM   #5
ThomasHelzle
portfolio
Thomas Helzle
Berlin, Germany

I can't help with your issues with pmG but I just tested it:
Autorig 1 from messiah 2.1a works as always under 2.2. Just put the Auto_Rig.mp plugin into the plugins folder of 2.2. That's the version from the video on pmGs Homepage.

I personally prefer riggin myself - which is easy and fast in messiah - over using AutoRig though.

Buying Joe Cosmans CDs isn't required but a very smart move - it even gives you some very cool rigs that you can reuse for your models (easy in messiah) - may be the next best thing to a working AutoRig

Regards,

Old 05-19-2005, 05:56 PM   #6
stooch
Lord of the posts

portfolio
Dimitri Loginowski
VFX Artist + Designer
Handsome, LLC
Beverly Hills, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sil3
If u are familiar with character setup then getting to know Messiah rigging tools are not that hard IMO.

I do agree that the docs need "special" care for a long time now.

oh im familiar with it allright. The thing is im not familiar with messiah yet. so i was hoping that autorig will mediate my ignorace somewhat. Now i have to put in some insane hours to use this thing. :( thats why im pissed.

i been eagerly waiting for this program counting down the days over here in the office and now that i got it, its a huge letdown.

Old 05-19-2005, 08:08 PM   #7
DMack
Lord of the posts

David
United Kingdom

Unless your rig needs to be complex, I think you'll find the whole rigging process easier than you think. I moved over from LW to messiah:Animate for character animation and rapidly got going. Joe Cosman's CD's are very helpful, as are the people on this forum so jump in and ask for help when you need it. Regards to it being a letdown...I think with time you'll grow to really appreciate it...may not think so at the mo but I think you will if you give it a good go - Much easier to rig than LW thanks to the seyup mode etc.

Old 05-19-2005, 08:47 PM   #8
PauHana

Have you tried what Thomas Helzle suggested? I understand your frustration, but everyone here is trying to help you with your problem. Do you have any specific questions about how to set stuff up like you do in whatever program you're used to? There aren't a whole lot of tutorials out there but here's a few: http://www.zoogono.com/tutorials.cfm

Old 05-19-2005, 08:57 PM   #9
stooch
Lord of the posts

portfolio
Dimitri Loginowski
VFX Artist + Designer
Handsome, LLC
Beverly Hills, USA

im working in lightwave.

setting up a rig for fido (you know the 7 up character)

I need to get a full rig working with IK legs and FK/IK arms with knee/elbow control and be ready to animate by next week.

wish me luck. hah

Old 05-19-2005, 10:55 PM   #10
SpikeWorx
Frequenter

Quote:
This is illegal. totally false advertising and sueable.

As a LW user, you should be acquainted with such advertising and non working features .
The Python Scripting Implementation had a major bug which caused a lot of instability.
In my mind its better to leave out AutorigII, which depends on Python, till it works as it should, than grappling with an unstable Messiah.

Last edited by SpikeWorx : 05-19-2005 at 10:57 PM.

Old 05-19-2005, 11:58 PM   #11
stooch
Lord of the posts

portfolio
Dimitri Loginowski
VFX Artist + Designer
Handsome, LLC
Beverly Hills, USA

well im coping with this as best as i can. however, a disclaimer on their site about the broken autorig would be nice. It would have cost them a sale, but it still would be nice.

Old 05-20-2005, 12:51 AM   #12
pelos
Always something new.

portfolio
Demian Kurejwowski
Toronto, Canada

Send a message via MSN to pelos
i dont know if you really need to buy those CD, i did some tutorial, for messiah,

try to look for them on the forum or in the zoogono.com
(i have 2 sources, one was a torrent file that was directed to my computer and some ppl did the HUGE favor to give me space on there server)

if you cant find them, send me a tell =)

Old 05-20-2005, 02:11 AM   #13
RavenSong
Virtually Here

portfolio
Maya Doka
Crow Haven Arts
North Bend, USA

I'm glad I started reading through these posts -- and discovered the Joe Cosman cds, they look to be an exceptional value in every way and will certainly be a major help and education for me to use just starting out with Messiah.

As for "bugs" and changes in the app -- why give up on it? It's just part of the evolution, all programs must go through these processes. There's always a solution. A very important factor in using Messiah for me is that this group helps each other out and all are interested in seeing Messiah progress. And it is. I'm very impressed with what Messiah already can do and am happy to be a part of the revolution and where it is headed.
---Maya

Old 05-20-2005, 03:37 AM   #14
PauHana

Quote:
im working in lightwave.

setting up a rig for fido (you know the 7 up character)

I need to get a full rig working with IK legs and FK/IK arms with knee/elbow control and be ready to animate by next week.

wish me luck. hah

Sorry, I'm not familiar with Fido. Is he an anthropomorphic bipedal type character?
Do you have a proxy object or better yet the actual mesh to rig? You could post screen grabs if you want and try asking specific questions for the rig. (ie: I'm trying to rig the rear legs like I do in Maya. I usually...blah blah blah). Then we may have some ideas we can throw at you. Just trying to help....

Old 05-20-2005, 05:29 AM   #15
SpikeWorx
Frequenter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PauHana
Sorry, I'm not familiar with Fido. Is he an anthropomorphic bipedal type character?

http://www.newtek-europe.com/uk/com...artizan2/1.html

Thread Closed share thread