Davinci Code First Trailer!

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 05 May 2005   #1
Davinci Code First Trailer!

Well, this is quite an impressive bit of work for a teaser trailer!! Some really nice fx work. That said, I still can't help but feel that they're making it sound like a action adventure as apposed to a serious thriller crime story. Hmmm...

Anyway check it out here...
http://www.apple.com/trailers/sony_.../da_vinci_code/

- My thoughts are my own and should not be confused with anyone else's.

Old 05 May 2005   #2
ah! can't see it. quicktime doesn't want to work for me today!

Old 05 May 2005   #3
whee this looks just as tacky as the book (which is a good thing!). i just hope they get it right and don't try to preach with it (in either direction...). some funky particles in this trailer but I really hope they keep the special effects to a minimum. one of the things I enjoyed about the book was that it wasn't all flash bang action. there was a lot of tension in there.

looking forward to it.

and WOW what a cast!

Old 05 May 2005   #4
Originally Posted by vfx: That said, I still can't help but feel that they're making it sound like a action adventure as apposed to a serious thriller crime story. Hmmm...

I really can't think why you're saying this when they don't even show anything from the film in the trailer At any rate, the book is pretty fast paced and action-packed anyway!
I must admit I am disappointed in their choice of Hanks as Langdon, but other than that I think the cast is pretty cool.

Old 05 May 2005   #5
I'm one of the two people that never read the book(s), but wow! That is an amazing cast! Interesting fx in the teaser.

Old 05 May 2005   #6
I can't wait for this movie, I loved the book!

Plus, I think Hanks is perfect to play Langdon!

But this trailer is trash! Its crap, show us something!

Old 05 May 2005   #7
Originally Posted by alexyork: whee this looks just as tacky as the book (which is a good thing!). i just hope they get it right and don't try to preach with it (in either direction...). some funky particles in this trailer but I really hope they keep the special effects to a minimum. one of the things I enjoyed about the book was that it wasn't all flash bang action. there was a lot of tension in there.

looking forward to it.

and WOW what a cast!

Tacky? How so?

I imagined a Harrison Ford type as Langdon rather than Hanks. But since Hanks is one of the most gifted and talentd actors of this generation, I have faith (no pun intended) that he'll pull it off admirably.
The other casting is spot on IMO.
And with Ron Howard directing, it's sure to be a fun movie to see!
Loved the book and am eagerly anticipating this film...Another year!? Oh well, it'll probably be worth the wait.

Art

Old 05 May 2005   #8
i just meant it's all a bit (deep croaky voice) "In a world...." etc. bit OTT. tacky action flick. it's hard to guage anything from a trailer with no footage from the actual movie, so it'll probably turn out great. i bet there's a massive budget on this.

Old 05 May 2005   #9
I really can't think why you're saying this

Its the voice over americano guy - you know - Bang Bang!! - and the fast action cut music! Don't know what version of the book you read, but this isn't a fast action packed story - a good portion of the book (the beginning) takes place at the crime scene (one location - easy now hollywood!) and it takes its time to explore... This is a good old fashion french style thriller\crime in my mind - yes theres action - similar to Broken Sword in that sense, but not an action film with flying particles...which is all well and good if justified. Anyway, with Howard at the healm, I don't think it'll be anything like the trailer - afterall I wonder if he even had anything to do with its makeup.

- My thoughts are my own and should not be confused with anyone else's.

Last edited by vfx : 05 May 2005 at 06:05 PM.

Old 05 May 2005   #10
The best trailer ever made was the one for 'The Comedian'...

Last edited by SketcH01 : 05 May 2005 at 06:16 PM.

Old 05 May 2005   #11
I personally thought the trailer had an intriguing and very effective idea behind it (no pun intended). The whole "one long continuous shot" reminded me of the CG intro to the Day After Tomorrow, another brilliant creation I loved.

Anyway, since we're on the topic of casting: Am I the only one who pictured Ian Holm - not Ian McKelling - as Teabing???

Old 05 May 2005   #12
Originally Posted by vfx: Its the voice over americano guy - you know - Bang Bang!! - and the fast action cut music! Don't know what version of the book you read, but this isn't a fast action packed story - a good portion of the book (the beginning) takes place at the crime scene (one location - easy now hollywood!) and it takes its time to explore...

I've read the book and personally I think it's a very fast paced story - I mean, they're fugitives from the law, running from the cops once they leave the crime scene. I wouldn't say it's an action book as such, but it does have a lot of action in it.

rockymaru - I think Ian Mckellen is a cool choice for Teabing but he doesn't quite suit the physical description of him in the book. I agree that Holm would have another great cast idea for the part. I think Mckellen has the campiness combined with intelligence to do a great job of it though

Old 05 May 2005   #13
Fast paced? I can't even count the number of chapters they spend siting on someone or another's couch drinking tea and talking.

Although, I am not a huge fan of the book, i did enjoy it overall. Ian Holm certainly in my mind better fits the description given in the book. But I can imagine McKellen doing a great job with the character too.

Old 05 May 2005   #14
While I loved The Davinci Code...I just dont see how it will be anything but a so-so movie. I just hope that they try to keep it intelligent, and not go the 'Tomb Raider' or 'National Treasure' (which I loved BTW) route. But we shall see!

My big hope for this movie is that more of Dan Browns books will be made into movies. Deception Point would be awsome.

Old 05 May 2005   #15
blah, blah blah... blah, blah, blah.

blah.

blah, blah.

Thread Closed share thread