CgTalk:FXWars! CARCRASH Challenge:6

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 05 May 2005   #1
CgTalk:FXWars! CARCRASH Challenge:6

Looking for a team?
Click >>Here<<

CgTalk:FXWars! CAR CRASH
SIMULATION WAR
inspired by C81

CAR CRASH
car
Pronunciation: 'kär, dial also 'kor, 'kyär
Function: noun
Etymology: Middle English carre, from Anglo-French, from Latin carra, plural of carrum, alteration of carrus, of Celtic origin; akin to Old Irish & Middle Welsh carr vehicle; akin to Latin currere to run
1 : a vehicle moving on wheels: as a archaic

crash
Pronunciation: 'krash
Function: verb
Etymology: Middle English crasschen
transitive senses
1 a : to break violently and noisily : SMASH b : to damage (an airplane) in landing

THE CHALLENGE:

Create a crash of a street legal car. Yo may crash the car against an inanimate object ( for example a wall, a parked car, the pavement) or a moving object (maybe a trailer or another car). The collision may include multiple cars.

The final entries can be either REALISTIC (Think movies like Bourne Supremacy, Ronin , French Connection) or FANTASTIC (Think Dukes of Hazard, Blues Brothers , James Bond Movies).

The key of the challenge, for all entry types, is to do believable car physics in all your shots. This means that the car should have weight, mass and believable interaction with the environment.

At the end pf the challenge a finished entry that looks EXACTLY like either a car crash we might see on an insurance video (realistic) or in a action movie ( fantasy). Hybrid entries are allowed, but please take into consideration the , limited amount of time.

REALISTIC ENTRY (Difficulty Level HIGH)
  • More emphasis on realistic car physics and dynamics.
  • The interaction of the vehicle and the environment must be realistic.
  • The car models WILL require more attention to detail. Things like the car frame, car panels and engine block
    will have to be modeled and take into consideration during the simulation.
A realistic car collision simulation is among the toughest challenges right now in cg. It requires heaving simulation for car physics, rigid and soft body dynamics. The key is to do an animation that behaves exactly like a real life car crash .

In cg It is very easy to do flipping cars , but it is VERY HARD to do the whole thing getting the science right.

FANTASY ENTRY: (Difficulty Level MEDIUM)

• More emphasis on editing, lighting and cinematography.
  • The scenes in the entry require good flow and good camera work
For this kind of entry You can do anything you want, as long as the entry looks polished, and has at least some basic science behind it. The entries will be judged more on the esthetics of the scenes and the dynamism of the finished animation.

HYBRID ENTRY: (Difficulty Level VERY HIGH)
  • It combines the required of both the FANTASY entry and the REALISTIC entry.
The best animation/short will be selected by an open vote
for these categories:
  • Best Fantasy Entry
  • Best Hard Science Entry
  • Best Modeling
  • Best Simulation
  • Best Editing(NEW!)
  • Best Visual Effects (NEW!)
  • Best Overall Entry
The winner will get bragging rights and a small banner
designed by me.

DATELINE: Monday June 25th 12:00 PM

YOU HAVE One month and two weeks to do the challenge.

CHALLENGE SPECIFIC RULES:
  • No race car crashes ( a different challenge is being set up for them), but street legal sports cars are ok.
  • You may have a single car crashing or multiple cars.
  • No work taken DIRECTLY from an existing tutorial. You may use an existing tutorial only for reference.
  • You may use a pre exiting models and filmed footage, as long as you have the rights to use them.
  • If you create models for this challenge but you need to post development images on your WIP thread.
  • You may provide a heavily edited animation with all the trimmings (hell add live action if you want), as long a you provide another PLAIN wireframe animation or image of the VFX shots at work.
  • Remember the key of the challenge if for you guys to brush up on your simulation skills.
GENERAL RULES:
  • The animation and simulations (if any) must have been done AFTER the topic has been announced.
  • WIP are encouraged if they are posted in ANOTHER thread. Please provide a link to them on this thread.
  • WIP thread should be posted on the FXWARS Forum forum and should follow
    the following naming convention:
    FXWars! CarCrash!: MY NAME (REALISTIC, FANTASY or HYBRID) (Note: Group entries are allowed)
  • It is Recommended that Final movies should be rendered at 320 x 240 or 640 x 480 in Quicktime* format (Sorenson Compression), but other resolutions and formats are allowed. * The animation format is open for discussion.
  • The animation should follow the following naming convention:
    MYNAME_FXWARS(RESOLUTION).mov.
  • Add the following tile card at the beginning and end of the animation:

FXWars! CarCrash!
    MY NAME (Individual or team)
    (REALISTIC, FANTASY or HYBRID)
    Date

, and if you can, also add a small non disruptive watermark during the animation.
  • If for some reason, you can't host movies, sequential images (Thumbnails size 160 x 120 ) are accepted.
  • Please add a brief text description about your piece.
  • The artist also has to post total length of time it took and program used.
  • Collaborative pieces are accepted and encouraged, but Teams entries must have a identifying banner and a name. Shot lists should be included with the entry.
  • Individuals participating in a team CAN have their own individual entries.
  • The topics will be picked at random from the list on
    this >>thread << (The author will be given credit). So
    guys keep them coming.
  • Post on this thread your link to your WIP thread and your FINAL piece.
  • You can add multiple entries, as long as they have different WIP threads.
  • Only participants who follow the rules and submit a final entry will be eligible for the voting process.
  • Any piece caught breaking the rules will be taken off the thread.
Movie Reference:Good Luck

-R
This message does not reflect the opinions of the US Government

Old 05 May 2005   #2
Very cool! I'd love to participate in this one...so I'll see if I can dish out some time to do so

Old 05 May 2005   #3
K.i.t.t.

Please someone has to do one involving KITT from Knightrider, that would be sooo cool!

Old 05 May 2005   #4
never done before!very interesting!....ummmh...

B-movie

Old 05 May 2005   #5
this one is a tough challenge. as far as i know car crashes are extremely difficult to do in cg. let's see how the participants will pull this out. i'm subscribing this thread cuz i'm really curious with the results

Old 05 May 2005   #6
yay, what a topic! I expect at least something similar to the truck crash in matrix reloaded

Old 05 May 2005   #7
very interesting... i have to subscribe,i'm curious for results too

Old 05 May 2005   #8
Hi,

I just made a big carcrash for my demoreel It's a Peterbilt that rolls over after hitting a bridge. Pretty spectacular with all the parts flying around. I hope to put it online in a few weeks.
Good luck everyone with this fx wars!

- Peter -

Old 05 May 2005   #9
now who can actually animate cars?

Old 05 May 2005   #10
I think i'll have a go in this one. Learn how to model a car too...

Old 05 May 2005   #11
Oh wow, I want a part of this one. Now if I just had a stable of highly detailed cars already modeled and half a clue about how to do dynamics and stuff. Good time to learn though, right? Maybe I'll start by creating some reference footage... Best of luck to all who make the attempt!

Old 05 May 2005   #12
i know. the past chalenge i cant finish.. is just that i have a lot of work but.. im in vacations now... YOU WILL SEE muahahahah good luck everyone !

Old 05 May 2005   #13
Talking

I'm a car crasher, muahahaha, but I don't use dinamics, just keyframes, so I just wanna sit and enjoy the show

Old 05 May 2005   #14
There is an unfinished vehicle rigging thread somewere here, I'm very interested in this theme, so I am curious too on this one.

CreArte

Old 05 May 2005   #15
crazy idea.... but no time.. great theme though interested on seeing some entries.. i think this would be one of the most hardest FX wars

-= Man with One Chopstick , Go Hungry =-

Thread Closed share thread