Senior Short Film - "The Potter"

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 05 May 2005   #1
Senior Short Film - "The Potter"

The Potter is an ancient creature who gives life to clay. In his care is an apprentice who is wants learn how.

Here are a few stills:

"The Potter" is my senior thesis, but I had an absolutely phenomenal group of guys work on the project with me. The film had 9 Savannah College of Art and Design students working on it in various capacities as well as a friend of mine from Charlotte, NC. You can see the team here and see a detailed breakdown of their responsibilities here. We went into production in June 2004, wrapping up final visual production in March 2005 and sound a few days ago. Here is our pipeline. It's been a long time coming, but we hope you enjoy it.

(Edit - The server is back up for now...only the magic 8 ball knows for how long; mirror links are on page 2 if these aren't working)

Here it is:
Quicktime - 480x270 (63meg)

You can find out more about the film at the website: www.the-potter.com

I appologize if my server dies for the site info and my personal site, the film is hosted on the school servers, so that shouldn't be an issue there....shouldn't be...

Last edited by jjburton : 05 May 2005 at 05:21 PM.

Old 05 May 2005   #2
AWESOME,
great character, light, animation.
Amazing affect!
And good story.

excellent work!

Old 05 May 2005   #3
Hey Josh,

Fantastic job! It really is an accomplished piece of work on all levels; well designed, well created & well told.

There's really only one niggle for me and that's the quality of the Potters skin - it isn't quite up to look/shading of the rest of the scenes - but that's an anal complaint from a critical nerd.

I hope everyone who worked on it is proud, because you deserve to be!

Old 05 May 2005   #4
Awe inspiring.

Old 05 May 2005   #5
amazinng man.. exelent effects.. c ya !

Old 05 May 2005   #6
Thumbs up

brilliant work.

I really love the music you guys chose.

I think it is often underestimated what music can do to enhance a story. It's always sad to see a wondeful animation, that obviously took tons of work, to be ruined by a theme that fails to capture the mood of the story.

Old 05 May 2005   #7
Wow! I am truly amazed! Everything is just so good! especially the lighting , animation and the effects.
Amazing!

cheers,
HB

Old 05 May 2005   #8
Very beautiful on all levels. Congrats.

Old 05 May 2005   #9
Talking

I saw this one at the student-film show a couple weeks ago; fellow SCAD-student here. It was awesome, man! Got great applause afterward.

Old 05 May 2005   #10
very well done,

I love the fact that there was no dialogue. The emotions were conveighed using body language and music. Brilliant idea for this short. I loved the effects on the "blowing on clay" sections and when she was molding the bright clay, it looked great. The lighting and mood was perfect for thie piece.

Good job 4 stars from me

-Brad

Old 05 May 2005   #11
WOW, I'm jealous for a team and creative project like that!

-S

Old 05 May 2005   #12
Very beautiful indeed...
If I had one crit:
the music gets kind of boring after a few minutes. And my only crit on the 3d is a few seconds of the green character's shoulders. Other than that I find it very well executed. Plus I'll give 5 stars for a clean storytelling.
Good luck finding the great jobs you'll land with this...

Old 05 May 2005   #13
Fantastic. It's alomost a metaphor for all (3D-)artists. Don't we also have to learn from the masters before we are able to let the magic flow into our work?

Old 05 May 2005   #14
I love the story, Really felt the emotion.
It was like watching a short made by a big studio.

Thank you.

Old 05 May 2005   #15
I must say, I am quite impressed indeed. As has been stated, you can really feel the emotion being directed with all movement and the music makes it work perfect. Fellow Scad student here as well, and after seeing it again, it just blows my mind away. Great job.

Thread Closed share thread