Character: mbotV2 (munkeybot version 2).

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 10 October 2002   #1
I Don't Mean to Put You on the Spot

This was modeled and rendered in Cinema. The character is mbotV2 (munkeybot version 2). The set-up is you classical radiosity test scene, a box with luminous walls, but I thought it would be interesting to introduce emotion to it by using a robotic character illuminated by a warm and cold color.

Attempting to convey a sense of loneliness and trouble with choice I created the pose symmetrical with only a slight favor towards one of the lights/choices. The reaching arms signify the curiosity and weighing of thought that comes before decisions.

I understand that minimal pieces need pay extra close attention to detail because the smallest of flaws can be picked up sometimes immediately. Besides improving my radiosity settings what other adjustments can this piece benefit from.

Is there anything that you feel from this piece? Was it successful?

Old 10 October 2002   #2
yes, the little bot does look lonely...

I don't spot anything imediatly wrong with it.

Gallery Pages
SFS Forum is here. 2MB attachments are allowed on these forums.
SFS Gallery is here. 50MB free display space for your artwork.

Old 10 October 2002   #3
Cool....

What's goin on with the artifacts? Is that from the render or from jpeg compression?

Old 10 October 2002   #4
That's from the render visualboo, I'm just beginning to use radiosity.

Old 10 October 2002   #5
very impressive

like stephen said i cant see anything imedeatily wrong with it

and it looking good

Old 10 October 2002   #6
looks realy cool..

no crits

Flickr

MDI Digital

Old 10 October 2002   #7
I might work on the camera placement if I were you. It feels like the viewer, me, is really close to the robot and looking down at a pretty sharp angle, making the room feel cramped. Something about the scale doesn't feel right. The room seems too big for the robot and too small for me. I'm sorry if this sounds vague, I am just unsure of the camera's motivation. perhaps showing a little more floor would clear this up.

The reflective surface of the robot makes him look faceted at first, at least to me.

The arms look really heavy, burdensome.

You did a nice job posing the head. The little guy looks like he just came up with a good question.

I think it might be neat to have him look directly in the camera with the hand in the cool light clenched and the hand in the warm light palm up. That would make me concentrate on the eyes but iit would seem like he was participating with the scene while looking at the viewer. Of course that isn't your intention but it might be cool to see, or it might seem hokey.

just an idea.

Does Cinema use photon mapping for gi? It looks kind of like gathering errors around the fingers. Just curious.

Thanks for shairing.

Old 10 October 2002   #8
yeah, i saw this over on DA already. I like your second version better though.

Old 10 October 2002   #9
I can't see any problems.
What's your radiosity settings

Old 10 October 2002   #10
Thanks for the feedback guys. Empleh, I don't think cinema has real GI. The errors around the fingers are a bit of a dissapointment after a 4 hour render but I'm working on solving the problem. This is by far the most productive 3d forum site I've been to. I think I'll stick around.

Old 10 October 2002   #11
i think we'd all enjoy that. welcome aboard.

Old 10 October 2002   #12
looks great...

Old 10 October 2002   #13
Nice to see you over here ephecks? Welcome to cgtalk Ethan.

Nice work with the monkeyBot. Just remember that cool peace from renderosity with that two poser figures and the monkeyBots fighting.

Can't really help on this Radiosity thing. Always havingt this artifact problem myself.

P..:

www.deinehelden.de

sketchblog

www.prayorpanic.com

Old 10 October 2002   #14
wow . . .

I think you've really pulled off a great image here. The lighting really helps set the scene, and the robot model, with it's subtle highlights and reflections, is very well done. My favorite part about his piece is the choice of camera placement, it very effectively conveys the mood, great work!

Old 10 October 2002   #15
thats cool. love the bot. would like to see some differant poses of him!

come hang out in the c4d forums

share thread