photo scanning and printing

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

10 October 2002
photo scanning and printing

I have to take a picture, scan it, change it in photoshop than print it again.
I don't want the changes I make look all pixelly when I print it.

What do you recommend?

Should I scan the photo at twice the size, make the changes resize back to its size then print.

or do you have any good tips form me?

thanks

Last edited by Rogelio : 10 October 2002 at 08:01 AM.

10 October 2002
Scan it at 300 dpi instead of 72 dpi, wich is only good for showing it on a monitor.
Scanning bigger and scaling down in the end is a good idea when you plan a lot of detailed retouches.

10 October 2002
I have to print it on another machine, what file format should I use so that it keeps all its detail and small enough to fit in a diskette?

Should I use 32-bit or 24-bit?

RGB, CMYK or what?

Last edited by Rogelio : 10 October 2002 at 08:57 AM.

10 October 2002
Diskette? I haven't used those in years...

Save as a TIFF or EPS to keep all your quality (save a copy to EPS or TIFF btw, keeping your original PSD on your HD, cause you will loose the photoshop layers in a TIFF or EPS. You want to save that aswell, incase you want to make later adjustments).

You could save as a JPEG if you want to keep it small, but there is a trap: JPEG really screws up the quality of the pic, because JPEG is also a compression technique, that filters out a lot of information. When you want to use the JPEG file later in printing (like on a printing-press) you have a problem, specially with converting to CMYK.

Better burn the TIFF or EPS on a CD-ROM. Or use WINZIP to compress the file (Stuffit on a Mac), transport it and unpack it again on your destination computer.

10 October 2002
You was editing your post when I was typing

> Should I use 32-bit or 24-bit?
I dunno, I always use the standard 8 bits/channel...

> RGB, CMYK or what?
That depends on what you will use it for.
For most printers RGB is fine, most office printers are configured to print RGB pics.
For pre-press you need CMYK.

10 October 2002
Silly me we have cds now

I will be printing the photo on photograpic paper or some thing, the idea is to make it look as if it was a photograph.

01 January 2006
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread