Ontario Chapter...

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 04 April 2005   #1
Ontario Chapter...

Likely based out of Toronto. I don't know how much I can really participate, unless meetings are on the w/e. 4 hours isn't an evening commute. However, it would be nice to actually be able to meet with people of common spirit in Canada, even if I can only do it a couple of times a year.

Old 04 April 2005   #2
Thumbs up

Hey! I think Toronto Chapter would be a great idea ! Especially concidering how many CG schools, big and small companies, and just generally artists we've got in this city. I also find that many cg artist don't participate in online communities and "bringing it to them in person" would sertainly raise the interest. Another idea, is once we've got the chapter going we could take it to schools, and get the new generation of artists to join in.
I'm live in TO myself, and would sertainly be willing to help!

Old 04 April 2005   #3
oh man I live in London, but I'lltry to go...cool

Latest Work

Old 05 May 2005   #4
I'm living it up in Sarnia, 1 hour from london.

Old 05 May 2005   #5
cool...we should have it in London then

Latest Work

Old 05 May 2005   #6
funny you should say that because I know when people visit london from toronto they can get over how clean it is =) london is great I hope to move back

Old 05 May 2005   #7
Let's do it! I'm in Oakville. Would prefer TO to London but am willing to do what ever.
timwarnockstudio.com

Old 05 May 2005   #8
In the long run, it's probably best to keep it more central if possible; right now, there may be more people in London, but as CGS picks up speed, a lot of people from Toronto and Ottawa are likely to chime in. We don't want to base the chapter somewhere that is inconvenient to most.

But, then again, it can always be moved...

London is pretty much out of the question for me, though. :(

Old 05 May 2005   #9
I really don't see why this should be a CGSociety gig. There's a lot more members in the general area. And its not like once the chapters are up and running, we'll be requesting CGS membership confirmations for people to come in. The whole idea of Local chapters is not only to make it easyer and more fun and educational for existing members to meet in person, but also to raise the awareness and interest in CG Talk/Networks/Society etc. in general. I think that at the very least a similar thread/forum should be started in general area. The response there should be much greater, and that should really show us and the mods. how many interested members we've got outthere.

Old 05 May 2005   #10
Originally Posted by Kaja: I really don't see why this should be a CGSociety gig. There's a lot more members in the general area.

You're very right. But you have to have the initial group of actual members set up the local administrative and operational guidelines of the chapter before you can start bringing new people in. If you start with the general public, it will likely result in a free-for-all. Once that's established, non-members can join in for one or two meetings before they're required to become members...

After all, if it's just a CGTalk meeting, why even bother with a chapter, or the society as a whole?

Old 05 May 2005   #11
Originally Posted by sykosys:
After all, if it's just a CGTalk meeting, why even bother with a chapter, or the society as a whole?

Hey, cool with me! And if thats the case, then I suggest using the Downtown Toronto HOOTERS location as our headquaters the beer is cheap, the wings are good, they've got a patio upstairs ! What more can one ask for !

Old 05 May 2005   #12
london, london, and more london....does anyone really want to deal with the traffic of TO after a meeting. plus I live in london, so i am a little bias!

Old 05 May 2005   #13
Heheh, I'm in London too so naturally it would be great for me! However, I can see Toronto working out much better as a hub, and it would give me an excuse to visit the big city more often. Either way, I'm all for some kindof Ontario CGS chapter - wherever it ends up.

James

Old 05 May 2005   #14
i think it should be in london, at gwot's house.

i am a london native now working in seattle, so the thread caught my interest. if you guys ever have a meeting when i am back in london visiting family i will drop by...

vive la dr. disc!

Old 05 May 2005   #15
You should stop by and see the new house bent! Throw some steaks on the BBQ, crack a few beers, then we can swap juicy stories about bungie and DE! =D

Thread Closed share thread