Login register
Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »  

Old 04-22-2005, 10:42 PM   #1
chexmix
portfolio
Show
Uruguay

Poser to Motionbuilder?

Hey everyone. Ive searched the forums and have been unable to find any answers regarding exporting Poser 5/6 files to Motionbuilder. Motionbuilder is hands down much better for animation, however Id like to export some of my characters from Poser (I cant afford Maya!) Can anyone help?

Old 04-23-2005, 12:28 AM   #2
Grenal
Frequenter

portfolio
Zack Klinger
Compositor
San Francisco, USA

Send a message via Yahoo to Grenal
My understanding is, when you export from Poser, you don't get a skeleton. Is this correct?

If you don't have a skeleton, your @&*$ out of luck.

Old 05-10-2005, 05:49 AM   #3
stuh505
Lord of the posts

portfolio
Stu H
USA

Yeah, actually, you can export the Poser model in BVH format. This is the only format where Poser also exports the skeleton. However, you have to make sure to accept the option to do automatic scaling on export. MotionBuilder can actually read BVH files. Then you can export it from MotionBuilder as an FBX for Max or Maya. This is nice because Poser has a pretty handy built in WalkDesigner. I think for this reason it would also make sense to define the Poser character terminology in MotionBuilder so that you could automatically characterize the Poser characters with a MotionBuilder FK/IK rig...because Poser does have a nice feature that MotionBuilder is lacking, which is a very straight-forward walk designer that allows walk-in-place walks.

Old 05-18-2005, 04:25 PM   #4
rikki.o
rikki.o
Germany

Problems with bvh-format

Hi,
when I export to bvh from poser, mb can not import it. Actually I can not import it into any programm. Is there a problem with poser 6 and the bvh format?

Old 05-18-2005, 07:49 PM   #5
Grenal
Frequenter

portfolio
Zack Klinger
Compositor
San Francisco, USA

Send a message via Yahoo to Grenal
Ooh, ooh! I think I know the answer to this...

MB uses a different naming convention than some other programs when it comes to BVH.
(Actually, many programs don't follow the same naming conventions and there almost is no "real" standard that I've seen.)

Open up your BVH from Poser in Textpad or Notepad and check out the heirarchy structure.
Then export out a BVH from MotionBuilder and check it's naming convention out.

I'll bet there are some differences. So, just open up your Poser BVH, use a Find and Replace function to make it look like what MB wants and that should work.

Old 05-18-2005, 07:49 PM   #6
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread