an noob question on opteron

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 04 April 2005   #1
an noob question on opteron

could anyone suggest me a mobo for the dual core opteron? better with one socket only and agp 8x slot. and could it use normal ddr400 ram? could i use the ddr400 with one or two of the ddr dimm left unused?

thanks...........

Old 04 April 2005   #2
Any board to date will be able to support dual core Opterons with a BIOS update.

Old 04 April 2005   #3
do i have to put ecc ram to it?

and any model of board recommended?

Old 04 April 2005   #4
All Opterons require ecc registered RAM. This is not dependant on the motherboard.

If you are looking for single socket solutions, then I question your reasoning for wanting an Opteron, aside from the closer release date. A dual cored Athlon64 would give you a wider choice of motherboards. Having said that, Tyan has the K8WS which is a single chip solution featuring AGP. There are other boards out there as well, but to be honest I dont keep tabs on the single socket Opteron boards.

You do not need to fill all RAM slots.

Old 04 April 2005   #5
lots is having my points, i know the single opteron is not an ideal solution, expensive with the ecc ram. but the dual core opteron is too decent. so my reasoning is, the single dual core opteron would be an better than 939, probably 3500+.

is my reasoning right?

Old 04 April 2005   #6
If you want a single core Opteron, look towards the Athlon64 FX processors for socket 939. Pretty much as good as a single Opteron but you don't need ECC registered memory, and the board is still ready for dual core.

Old 04 April 2005   #7
My point is a dual cored Opteron 1xx is a ways off. It requires ECC DDR, and the motherboards that have any fun features are kind of sparse. Insted, get a dual core Athlon64/FX. The chips will likely cost the same as the Opteron version, but you will be able to get all the nice feature rich consumer end boards out there, along with the ability to use normal non-ECC ram.

And according to AMD, the Athlon64 X2 will be purchasable in June.

Old 04 April 2005   #8
Originally Posted by lots: My point is a dual cored Opteron 1xx is a ways off.

No more than X2's. AMD sounded like these would be available next month.

Quote: It requires ECC DDR, and the motherboards that have any fun features are kind of sparse. Insted, get a dual core Athlon64/FX. The chips will likely cost the same as the Opteron version, but you will be able to get all the nice feature rich consumer end boards out there, along with the ability to use normal non-ECC ram.

I intentiaonally bought a bunch of Asus SK8N boards on eBay (oem) specifically for use with the 175 CPU's for use as a renderfarm, along with some tyan K8WE's for the bigger 275's later.

But yeah, X2's are the way to go for Joe Sixpack.

Old 04 April 2005   #9
From a chart I saw over at anandtech, they made it seem that the dual cored opterons had an undetermined release date while the X2's were in june, with mass production happening later in Q4.

Maybe I'll go take a look at AMD's press release.

Old 04 April 2005   #10
Originally Posted by lots: From a chart I saw over at anandtech, they made it seem that the dual cored opterons had an undetermined release date while the X2's were in june, with mass production happening later in Q4.

Maybe I'll go take a look at AMD's press release.

There was IMO, a lot wrong with the anandtech article starting with page one, and apparently I wasn't the only one who noticed it.

Old 04 April 2005   #11
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread