Master and Servant 2D Entry: Thierry Schiel

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

04 April 2005
Master and Servant 2D Entry: Thierry Schiel

Thierry Schiel has entered the Master and Servant 2D.

Challenge Page

Latest Update: Final Image: Rescuing Princess Yanna

The rescue of Princess Yanna

For those of you who have some spare time, here is the story behind the picture.

This illustration shows one of the key moments in the history of the world of Trez: the rescuing of young princess Yanna from certain and dramatic size reduction. The backstory is important to understand the full scope of what is at stake in this representation.
The alliance of the sacred centaur-warriors, the human-frogs and the humans has lasted now for more than two centuries. But to perpetuate an expansion tradition, necessary for the comfort of a growing population, new venues of trade had to be seeked.
On their way to the far east of this world for a delicate diplomatic mission, a small group of representatives of these different species (Mister Todd, a captain of the Human-frogs race and Sheerazertiki, a mighty warrior/centaur, are part of it) was attacked by the pirates of the dark forest. The scareless Princess Yanna was among this front group and after a fierce fight during which all were killed she managed to survive but had to flee in the forest. Exhausted by hours of walk she was then captured by the head shrinkers also called the Bleeders. They generally don't attack group of humans but found in Yanna an idealy isolated and tired prey. Alerted by the rumors of the fight the rest of the group, (belated by some urgent personal business of Mister Todd...) arrived too late on the spot of the attack but succeeded in scaring the pirates away. They followed the tracks of the princess through the forest until they arrived on the edge of the Blue corridor, an old desolated ruin, built by some long forgotten natives. This magical place is known for its eternal blue light, coming from the stones themselves and is now exclusively inhabited by the dreadful Bleeders. Anyone attempting to cross that corridor, which is a shortcut through the eastern mountains, is sure to be killed and have his/her head reduced to the size of a Borgond egg. The danger of rescuing the princess is very high for the small group, but this duty is more important than their own lives. The future alliances are depending on her.
Mister Todd, despite his natural cold blood, is gradually getting worried by the situation. The fight that followed was short and terrible at the same time. The advantage was given by the new weapons developed by the alliance, the powder guns. The number of Bleeders almost overwhelmed them but they managed to rescue the princess and were able to continue their road to the east. The diplomatic mission was a success and a new alliance was established between the two regions, thanks to the princess's diplomatic qualities and the courage of her servants that saved her life. The world of Trez has since then lived a golden age of prosperity from the opening of new roads of commerce and trade.

I hope this story helped you understand my vision of a Master/servant relationship. A strong story always helps to bring out more emotion, but I do hope the picture is showing this on its own. I also tried to bring originality in the design of the characters, in the use of colors and in the composition.

I was delighted to take part to this challenge. Many thanks for those of you who commented all along and my best of luck for your entries.
Thierry

Last edited by ThierryS : 05 May 2005 at 07:10 AM. Reason: title

04 April 2005
Blank edit .....

Last edited by ThierryS : 04 April 2005 at 07:39 AM.

04 April 2005
second post

Still trying to find my way on this forum...

Last edited by ThierryS : 04 April 2005 at 07:40 AM.

04 April 2005
Concept Sketch: Ruins of the blue corridor

Here's the rough sketch.

EON
My journey entry
Spectacular
Master and Servant

04 April 2005
Line Art: Line art for my entry

Here's a first line art, comments are welcome.

EON
My journey entry
Spectacular
Master and Servant

04 April 2005
Line Art: change in the hand

Decided to change the hand of the froggy human. It was removing too much of his humanity.

EON
My journey entry
Spectacular
Master and Servant

04 April 2005
Coloring WIP: first colour test

A first colour work.
THX for watching and commenting

EON
My journey entry
Spectacular
Master and Servant

04 April 2005
looks nice so far

04 April 2005
Very good beginning!! your sketch look really génial cool..and the colors seem to me well start!!you should add somrthing on foreground..Like one of your heads which one sees behind?

GOOD LUCK

04 April 2005
Ok Alexandre, bonne idée! I'll try to add something in the foreground, it will add some space
Thank you Lady Medusa for your c omment

Thierry

04 April 2005
Coloring WIP: foreground elements added

the new version with some elements in foreground.
Placing elements in front of characters might interfere too much with the composition.

EON
My journey entry
Spectacular
Master and Servant

04 April 2005
Cool idea and drawing ! GG !
I'll keep an eye on u!

viEw mY mAster&sErvant enTry hEre!!!

04 April 2005
Thanks K33d, let me also know what you will think of the future updates

04 April 2005
Ooooh What wonderful character designs! And I love the compostion and theme. Sorry I haven't noticed this before... your work has a wonderful style to it! I'll be keeping an eye on this thread from now on.

Looking forward to seeing more updates!

bonne chance

Cheers!

I'm dancin' like a monkey!

04 April 2005
great idea and I love the light... the turquoise coming from the corner is adorable

Thread Closed share thread