Login register
Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Old 04-15-2005, 01:54 AM   #1
reallycoolguy
surfer

andy
USA

Dreams

Almost everyone I know has dreams (while sleeping) and a lot of the artistic people I know find some of their best inspiration and creativity from these dreams. In my life I've had maybe two dozen occasions where I know that I had a dream the night before but I cannot remember it and four or five occasions where I can actually remember what I dreamt. My Dad had a room mate in college who occasionally had dreams, but they were not very vivid. His art teacher told him to write his dreams down every morning and they would get more vivid and he would remember them. After a month or so his dreams were so detailed and vivid he couldn't sleep through the night without waking up sweating, so he stopped writing down his dreams. I'd like to have dreams and I would be willing to try writing them down except I don't have any dreams to write down. Is there anything I can do to keep my brain going in the middle of the night and remember it? Is it uncommon not to ever have/remember dreams?
Thanks a lot!
--reallycoolguy

Old 04-15-2005, 02:22 AM   #2
traptinmyself113
outside of the box

im a friggin highschool student

Send a message via AIM to traptinmyself113 Send a message via MSN to traptinmyself113
try drinking orange juice with pulp! we had about 5 galons that we squeezed from oranges we took from the trees in the back yard. and we froze it. i would defrost one at a time and drink a teacup before i went to bed and everytime i drank it i would have dreams. my dad says its because orange juice is acidic and it disturbs your stomach making u sleep lighter thus having dreams. try it maybe itll work for you maybe it wont. just dont go and drink battery acid haha.

Old 04-15-2005, 02:32 AM   #3
Ordibble-Plop
High fiddlety
portfolio
DH
New Zealand

Usually if you wake up suddenly during the dream phase of sleep it is easier to remember your dreams.

If you are really keen, you could try setting your alarm to wake you at odd times with the hope it will be during the dreaming phase. If it is, then force yorself to recollect as much as possible and write it down straight away.

Old 04-15-2005, 02:35 AM   #4
Zack
Coming Soon...

Zachary Taich
Modeler
Sunnyvale, USA

I go through periods have having dreams and periods of having silent nights. I think it's been about a year since the last time I really remembered a dream I had.

Scientifically speaking, you should be experiencing REM every night, but many people don't remember dreams well unless they are woken up during it. That's why those who are woken by their dreams remember them vividly. If you can, have somebody wake you up during the night (or early morning); if you've got someone who's very willing to help you can have them check that you're in REM (Rapid Eye Movement).

I've never heard the of the orange juice thing. I'll have to try it!

>> Coming Soon: Adventure takes a whole new form... <<

Old 04-15-2005, 02:56 AM   #5
jmBoekestein
likes a flower =)...

portfolio
Jan Mark Boekestein
Netherlands

Send a message via ICQ to jmBoekestein Send a message via AIM to jmBoekestein Send a message via MSN to jmBoekestein
I get a lot of "info" on real life events in my life, they seem to be outside of time too.

There are lots of good ideas for dreaming and using your dreams. Try looking for Lucid Dreaming on the web. It involves becoming aware of the fact that you're dreaming and then using that to actually change your dreams.
Dreaming involves a lot of the subconscious mind. If you have a "disturbed" mind, you'll have disturbing dreams simply put. But everything ends, the good and the bad.
modelling practice #1

Old 04-15-2005, 06:17 AM   #6
reallycoolguy
surfer

andy
USA

I'll definitely check out the Lucid Dreams website and try the orange juice idea. I wake up at 5:00 every morning (often after late nights where I only get 3 or 4 hours of sleep) so I would imagine that would interrupt my dreaming time. Well I guess we'll see how everything works out.
Thanks!

Old 04-15-2005, 06:50 AM   #7
Ryan-B
Straight, No Chaser

portfolio
Ryan B
Lead Environment Artist
Canada

If you want vivid dreams, try ZMA. It's a supplement of zinc, magnesium and B6. You can find it in most health food stores.

Old 04-15-2005, 07:05 AM   #8
nobodee
Dream Illusionist
portfolio
notting tosee

Well, I don't have any 'real' advices to give you.. I often remember my dreams, but I don't know how. I found out that if an alarm clock or someone wakes me up, I'll forget the dream in an instant. But if I wake up by myself, I won't forget the dream so easily.

I've never tried writing down my dreams, though, but I'll have to start doing so now

Old 04-15-2005, 01:24 PM   #9
artjunkie
Why does it HURT?!!

portfolio
Grant Hillier
Concept Artist
Ubisoft Québec
Quebec, Canada

I've always found my dreams to be very fantastic and vivid... when I can remember them. I seem to remember more dreams when I was a child, perhaps because they seemed so full of weird characters, places and situations... it seemed so real to me as a kid. I LOVED dreaming. I can't say it ever 'inspired' me to do artwork. I prefer to seek inspiration during my waking hours (that way I'm guarenteed to remember, ha ha)

Nowadays I don't seem to remember my dreams that often, but when I do they continue to be very vivid in colour, smell or feel (textures, temperature... even pain, lol).

I may try that writing stuff down when I wake up... just to see if I can remember more of my dreams.

I'm dancin' like a monkey!

Old 04-16-2005, 02:08 AM   #10
traptinmyself113
outside of the box

Send a message via AIM to traptinmyself113 Send a message via MSN to traptinmyself113
i found a how to thing on that lucid dreaming http://brain.web-us.com/lucid/lucid...ucid%20Dreaming

im going to try it toninight

Old 04-16-2005, 04:37 AM   #11
Nehym
Living contradiction

portfolio
Amelie Lamoureux
Edmonton, Canada

Must say that i am in the same case than D-NA. Very often i do remember my dreams when i wake up in the morning, actually, most of the tiem when i wake up (oddly enough often at the same hour), i remember my dream. Though there are soem times i dont but i remember them more often than i forget them.

Something that might explain this is probably that i have some repetive dreams that always comes back, some i remember having when i was around 10. It is quite strange since sometimes it feels like it is simply the same dream continuing, some new parts being added each and evertime but some others that always stay the same.

About lucid dreaming i might have a tip, even thoguh i know it will sound quite ridiculous but it did work when i was young and doing it, so it did for my twin brother too. Since dreams comes from our subconscious, it is all a matter of believing and convincing yourself that you are the ''master of your dream''. I remember when i was younger just telling myself repeatedly (sp?) that i am the master of my dream and that only myself could change anything major in them. Strangely enough, it did work. As i already mentioned, it sounds ridiculous but it doesn't cost anything to try.

My spelling is awful tonight, sorry about that... Quite tired and my brain lacks the energy to translate everything in english correctly. ;p

Old 04-16-2005, 06:59 AM   #12
princesslulu
lulu
China

Send a message via MSN to princesslulu
Wink

I feel the same way.sometimes when i wake up it just remains some feeling of the dream....In our country,the granny and grandpa consider dreams are the parable of the future or what relatives who had been dead want to teel you .i believe about something.

Old 04-16-2005, 07:26 AM   #13
RobW720
animated monkey helmet

portfolio
Robert Wilson
Animator/Generalist
Hybrid medical animation
Rosemount, USA

Send a message via AIM to RobW720
first off, reallycoolguy, love the avitar. we sell thoes shirts at work and i have many.

that being said, back to the dream topic. Lucid dreams rule. i used to have them more as a kid but i havnt in years. i get a lot of weird ones, but my favorite type are really goofy. its always 3rd person and it always is letter box... you can see the little black bars like you get on a TV. and usualy they follow movie formats. once i played every character in the cast of the movie "scream"... it was really weird. but it was a good time. i love dreams

Old 04-17-2005, 03:05 AM   #14
traptinmyself113
outside of the box

hmmmmmmmmmmm maybe a new topic for the servent master contest! i call it unlimited possibiliteis, anything you can 'dream' up

ummmm if i get it tonight then im going to post here again. i tried to do it last night and i had a dream but i couldnt pull it off, i didnt realize it was a dream

Old 04-17-2005, 03:53 AM   #15
-Vormav-
somewhat frequent poster

portfolio
Stephen Gustafson
AAU Student
San Francisco, USA

Send a message via AIM to -Vormav- Send a message via MSN to -Vormav-
Quote:
Originally Posted by traptinmyself113
ummmm if i get it tonight then im going to post here again. i tried to do it last night and i had a dream but i couldnt pull it off, i didnt realize it was a dream

I find that even when I realize I'm dreaming, I still don't have a whole hell of a lot of control over what goes on. The last time I had an experience like that, and told myself in the middle of the dream "okay, I'm dreaming, I should do something!", I just ended up running around kissing random girls that seemed to just pop up out of nowhere.

Thread Closed share thread