List the best 3d school in us

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 10 October 2002   #1
List the best 3d school in us

Hey everyone.
I am a new user here.
It's a great forum.

Now comes the quetion:

Which school is the best one for learning 3ds application and hardware at?

I am willing to do hard work and get the government loan(since I am very poor.)

But , in your mind, which one's the best?

That you get the most goods out of.

I have found two so far. (full sail and collin)

Thank you for any suggestion.

P.S. Where can I find practicing jobs?
I know a little bit of max. I will do anything for experience.

You know JACK.

Old 10 October 2002   #2
Academy of Art College in San Francisco.

Old 10 October 2002   #3
Thanks for the tip,
I am gonnacheck the school out now.

Anyone else?

By the way, I am willing to work for exprience!

So, if you have some tideous work in 3ds that you don't want to do, as long as I learn something from it, I am willing to do it.

THANKS

P.S. Collins college is not cheap.. 50 thou for 2.5 yrs education.. man ... Did anyone go there?

Youknowjack

Old 10 October 2002   #4
CalArts (California Institute of the Arts)

Rocked my world...

~Zach

Old 10 October 2002   #5
Art Center and then Gnomon, you'll be unstoppable.

Old 10 October 2002   #6
yeah, so will the student loan collection services!!!!

God- "nietzsche is dead"

Old 10 October 2002   #7
"Which school" dosn't matter

I've seid it before and I'll say it ageen "the school you go to dosen't mean a thing, the onlything thats going to get you a job is "you"(!!!!!!!) they can't teach you anything you can't learn at home and on-line."

I started in 3d, teaching at colage in my home town, I've look into about a hendred or so schools (in the US) and I've found the one great truth, there all teaching the same thing, any school that lets anyone with money in... (someones going to flame me for saying this aren't they.) the student body is going to have just a few good artest and the rest... well there going to pretty much... suck.

My piont is don't go looking for a school to teach you anything, the truth is there just finding books on the net and telling you to buy the book from them and then pay them too sit in a "class" and go thouw the book... for the great price of $100-$5000+ a class!

I'm not saying that going to school isn't going to teach anything, but your the one thats going to do the leaning, its up to you as the student to make the school the best...

Ok, know I'm not going to send you any school web site, becouse I've found that the one that were posted before me, are some of the best I've been too.

I know this was a bit to long and not all that fun, but trust me...

Max

{Max falls face first into a cow pie, as he gets down from his HighHorse...}

Old 10 October 2002   #8
I would say, it depends on what it is that you want to do. If you're going to be a modeler, study fine art, painting, sculpture, then learn the 3d tools at a place like Gnomon or using resources on the net like many people have succesfully done it before. I wouldn't go to just any art school. I would focus on figurative art for at least 2-3 straight years doing nothing but drawing, painting, etc. Some of the more expensive art schools like the one i'm in (Savannh College of Art and Design www.scad.edu) have the best equipment, best labs, awesome software, but the professors just don't cut it. Most are school graduates who have no industry experience and stayed teaching and i would mention about only 6 or 7 who are really masters at what they teach. The program is completely twisted, letting you choose any class you want from compositing to character animation, to particles and fx, etc. and the result is more than 60% of the graduates who never find jobs in the industry.

I agree with theMAx in that no school will mke you an artist, but some schools can certainly help you. I wouldn't even consider (after my experience in SCAD) going to a school where they accept everyone as long as they have the cash. For example if i were to study character animation i think only 2 or 3 places in the US are REALLY worth it, Calarts, Ringling and possibly Academy of Art College, then there's Sheridan in Canada. All of these with possibly the exception of a Academy of Art (I could be wrong) are extremely tough to get in and are very cometitive, but they're different from the rest in that they don't brag about their labs and software. They all require strong portfolios to get in (which, again is very rare in most schools) so you know you'll have good competition from your classmates.

It's very important that you know exactly what you want to do before you select a school. Again, if it is animation you want to do, go to a place where you know the teachers and the program is good (one that doesn't make you take tons of unnecessary stuff) and if you want to be a modeler, do illustration, fine art or product design. There's a lot of places other than Art Center, which is very expensive, although one of the best, that will help you get those skills necessary to work in the industry. Check www.wattsatelier.com www.associatesinart.com and www.laafigart.com None of these will give you degrees but are cheaper than a regular college and have professors who really know their stuff. Later you can get into one of the other schools with a nice traditional portfolio

Again this is just my experience and personal opinion, and the most importat thing is that you will be the one to make a difference, not your school or teachers, but they certainly help in some ways.

Old 10 October 2002   #9
Thx for everyone's comment.

I think I now understand that no school can actually produce artist . And, I was asking for a school that really teaches stuff that are used in the reall business.

I am probably aiming for animation and special effects(Particles).

So, Academy of Art is the one to go?

Any more comments will be welcome.

P.S. I am making a short 30 sec commerical for my japanese class.Please evaluate it for me later.
TIA

Youknowjack

Old 10 October 2002   #10
Ringling School of Art

Old 10 October 2002   #11
If i wanted to go into special fx and particles, etc. I'd probably study programming, computer science and computer graphics theory (from the point of view of programming). Being good in math is also something that helps, although not always required. I think Academy of Art wouldn't be the place to go if that is your aim.

Old 10 October 2002   #12
<----thinks CGTalk should be on that list...

Old 10 October 2002   #13
I am sorry that this is a little bit off topic

Sorry , guys:

I have some questions on 3d applications.

In my school project, I want to model a waterfall.

Is there any tutorial on it?

Is it possible to do it with max's particle(bouncing water, deflecting from the rock) with meta particle?

I have tried some settings , but it doesn't work on my pIII

for two reasons:

1) Too many particles cooliding with itself crashes max.
2) Raytracing completely kills ram.

Perhaps, there is a easier way?

The other thing is, that I have a little climbing animation of a smal bipe on the mountain.
Currently, I am using the demo lifeform 4.0to animate.
It only converts to max2.0's bipe.

Does this mean I have to animate the character in max?

Just some questions.

Thank you for your concern.

Youdontknowjack

P.S. Which apps has the better particle engine?

Old 10 October 2002   #14
Re: "Which school" dosn't matter

Originally posted by theMax
I've seid it before and I'll say it ageen "the school you go to dosen't mean a thing, the onlything thats going to get you a job is "you"(!!!!!!!) they can't teach you anything you can't learn at home and on-line."

I started in 3d, teaching at colage in my home town, I've look into about a hendred or so schools (in the US) and I've found the one great truth, there all teaching the same thing, any school that lets anyone with money in... (someones going to flame me for saying this aren't they.) the student body is going to have just a few good artest and the rest... well there going to pretty much... suck.

My piont is don't go looking for a school to teach you anything, the truth is there just finding books on the net and telling you to buy the book from them and then pay them too sit in a "class" and go thouw the book... for the great price of $100-$5000+ a class!

You're right about the money thing with certain school where they will take anyone with cash. Otis is definately one of them, Academy of SF you dont even need a portfolio to get into, not saying it's a bad place, and so-on.

But let me tell you this. Art Center is one of the top if not top art school/s in the world. The teachers there arent there for the money. You have to have a extremely strong portfolio to enter this school and it has to be focused on what your major is, you cant have some of this and some of that.

Im not trying to start a pissing contest or anything but people should know that this school does not need you to come to their school just because your rich, they have enough people tryin to enter and they really dont care about the issuse of taking people in because they have money. Once again Im not flaming on anyone or critisizing their point of view.

Old 10 October 2002   #15
Full Sail University in Florida

Thread Closed share thread