CGTalk > Software Specific Forums > NewTek Lightwave 3D
Login register
Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Old 10-01-2002, 02:09 AM   #1
Kaiser_Sose
Space For Rent

Organic Modeling

I have a question regading LW approach to organic modeling and its limiting of subpatch objects to three or four pointed polygons

I have been viewing the WIPs posted on the forum and noticed that other programs dont need an object to made up of three or four point polygons to ' smooth ' it

For example, I dont think there are the above limitations when in 3DSMax you perform a ' meshsmooth '

My question is, do you find this as an obstacle when modeling characters and other organic objects

Old 10-01-2002, 02:27 AM   #2
Cman
part-timer
Carl Merritt
Columbia, US

I can say I do not - but I'm not the most experienced. I'm sure there are occasions when a poly-point limit for SubD can be problematic, but there are solutions: MetaFormPlus, my own Subdivide lscript, splitting the polygon manually, etc.

btw, it's my understanding those progrrams split up those n-gons before the "meshsmooth".

Good luck!

Old 10-01-2002, 02:29 AM   #3
Chewey
Yodaler

Not really. Getting the proper layout of edge loops is more of a concern than not being able to use 5 sided polys.

Old 10-01-2002, 02:45 AM   #4
CIM
Listen up!

CIM
USA

There are a zillion plugins/scripts to get rid of +4 polygons, if you're too lazy to use the Statistics Window or avoid them in modeling.

Not being able to Subpatch +4 polygons is generally only an issue to ppl. who can't model well (noobs).

As Chewy said, there are far more important things. As you get more experienced, you won't have these problems as much, if at all.

Old 10-01-2002, 03:51 AM   #5
uncommongrafx
Lord of the posts

editor, animator, interpreter

As someone who has spent the last year and a half trying to get up to speed with lightwave, I would say this is a non-issue. There are lots of "rules" with any 3D software and you just have to adhere to them.
Initially, you just have to learn to read the stats panel. After that, hit Flay for all kinds of fixes.
I have to admit: Though this was 'odd' behavior initially, I have come to find I am quite cognizant(sp?) of how to avoid 5'ers and found plugs to eliminate them if I don't do it manually.

Again, a non-issue after one becomes used to the program.

Robert Wilson
UnCommon Grafx

Old 10-01-2002, 04:46 AM   #6
wgreenlee1
Waiting on Shadow

Nope,its not a limit....or limiting.

How many points do you want per poly?
10-20?

Old 10-01-2002, 05:24 AM   #7
Kaiser_Sose
Space For Rent

cim, my fustratred friend, I was not asking how to select them to get rid of them. I was asking if it creates an obstacle in organic modeling methods

You just need to get your shot in, dont you

Old 10-01-2002, 11:45 AM   #8
Thoth
Lazy As Hell
Student

Send a message via ICQ to Thoth
CIM: Could you maybe share few names of those plug ins that do the trick ?

Thanks

Old 10-01-2002, 12:37 PM   #9
Cman
part-timer
Carl Merritt
Columbia, US

Quote:
Originally posted by Thoth
CIM: Could you maybe share few names of those plug ins that do the trick ?

Thanks

I named a few already.
MetaformPlus is good. (In LW)
PolySubdivide works. (On Flay)
EdgeTools(LW or DStorm)
Supersplit(Flay)
Split (LW)
Spikey (LW)

I think there could be a few more.

Good luck.

Old 10-01-2002, 06:12 PM   #10
dies-irae
Lord of the posts

basilio noris
Switzerland

Send a message via ICQ to dies-irae
yeah, 4 polys limitation is not really an issue... actually, it's a blessing...
You have to get your polys to 4 points before smoothing them, wich makes you clean up your meshes and the result is always better than what you'd get with >4p polys.

I'm a lazy guy so i wouldn't clean up and reorder my mesh if i hadnt to!

Old 10-01-2002, 07:04 PM   #11
Lizard Head
Moved on

Lizard Head
USA

They were for me at first too, modeling in NENDO and importing into max was never a thought about n-gons,, but then I got into Lightwave 5.6 and was fustrated by which was the right way..I knew trigons were needed for animation, but then I would read from the " Masters" of lightwave that they only model in quads and it got confusing.... but now,, I get the object I need modeled in my head and I just do it, and it is never a thought about how,, and that only came from using this software over and over and over and over..........

Old 10-01-2002, 10:23 PM   #12
roger
CG Designer
portfolio
Roger Borelli
Modeling Instructor
The Digital Animation & Visual Effects School
Orlando, USA

Well, if you only use LW then you will get use to it. I used LW for years modeling characters, but now I do most of my modeling in Maya. It nice being able to model organic shapes with more than a 4-point poly sometimes.
Earlier this year I did a commercial in LW and it was "strange" not being able to tab a 5-point poly. I have seen some great characters made with both 3/4 point polys and with 4/5 point polys.
People that say "Not being able to Subpatch +4 polygons is generally only an issue to ppl. who can't model well (noobs)." don't really know what there talking about.

Roger
http://www.fxstation.com/monsterlab/

Old 10-02-2002, 12:00 AM   #13
Kaiser_Sose
Space For Rent

Quote:
Originally posted by Lizard Head
They were for me at first too, modeling in NENDO and importing into max was never a thought about n-gons,, but then I got into Lightwave 5.6 and was fustrated by which was the right way..I knew trigons were needed for animation, but then I would read from the " Masters" of lightwave that they only model in quads and it got confusing.... but now,, I get the object I need modeled in my head and I just do it, and it is never a thought about how,, and that only came from using this software over and over and over and over..........

You put it very well

I guess it will eventually be common place although its nice being able to model organic shapes with more than a 4-point poly sometimes as roger put it

Old 10-02-2002, 12:44 AM   #14
Mike RB
Visual Effects Artist

Michael Blackbourn
Element Visual Effects
Canada

I model with any sided polys and as a last step I clen the mesh to only 3 and 4 sided. Its really not a big deal, especially with the speed incread you gain from using LW's modeling tools and workflow.

Mike

Old 10-02-2002, 01:04 AM   #15
CIM
Listen up!

CIM
USA

"People that say "Not being able to Subpatch +4 polygons is generally only an issue to ppl. who can't model well (noobs)." don't really know what there talking about."

Well, it may be an issue for YOU. From this post, it looks like it's not an issue to anyone else. As was said, it's usually noobs that have this problem.

I've used Maya, as well as other programs with the mentioned feature. I'd take Lightwave's Modeler over them any day of the week.

Thread Closed share thread