Login register
Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »  

Old 04-10-2005, 02:59 AM   #1
2hands
Wannabe

Dan Caylor
Canada, Canada

Need help with timing...

This is my first lipsync at vfs. I've been working on it for 7 hours straight and I don't know what it is anymore. I need help with timing before I start adding more. I've blocked in the motion and lipsync.

http://student.vfs.com/~3d53daniel/Capture.avi

DivX encoded

Thanks for any help you can give me

Dan

Old 04-11-2005, 03:02 AM   #2
2hands
Wannabe

Dan Caylor
Canada, Canada

Well, I finished it, if anyone is interested, here's the final...

http://student.vfs.com/~3d53daniel/finallipsync.avi

Thanks for all the help :P

Old 04-11-2005, 09:01 AM   #3
Aluuk
Frequenter

Leif Jeffers
Character Animator
USA

Heya,

This is looking great for your first lip sync.... Seriously impressed. A lot better than what I did on my first try.

I don't know if you still want a few crits, but I thought I would throw them out there anyways. I guess it's just stuff to keep in mind for next time.

Okay so three very broad things for you to keep in mind.

First and most important: Balance.

You have to make sure and keep your characters poses in balance. It is a hard thing to see in the beginning, but studying life and figure drawing are the things that helped me. For example...when your guy steps on "food." He steps too wide...and his root(pelvis) should be more over the leg that is supporting all the weight. Also, the body will counter balance naturally. There is a artist principal called contrapposto. That is just a fancy word that basically means opposing angles in the body. For example, on the word "food"... If the weight is on the screen left leg, than the screen left pelvis would be at a higher angle (because the weight is pushing the hip up on that side.) Then to stay in balance the body would adjust and make the screen left shoulder the lower shoulder. Does that make sense? Here are a few classical examples of contrapposto:

http://www.siggraph.org/education/m...ontrapposto.htm

Second: Twinning.

Unfortunetly this is something we all have to struggle with. You will find it happens all the time, and from what I read (in like Illusion of Life and Animator's Survival Kit)...it seems like even the masters have to keep an eye out for it.

If you look at your animation you can see that both arms twin (or copy eachother) It adds reality and life to your animation if you can find ways to break it up. To name just a few ways...you can vary the path the arms take...have them leave and land at diff frames...have them in poses that are not exactly the same. Explore, and have fun.

Third: Gestures

Try not to gesture on everything that is said. (not an absolute rule because there is always going to be that situation/dialogue that calls for it.) But try to select the words you really want to accent, and gesture on that. As a side note: Try not to always gesture the exact same thing that is being said. Sometimes gesture/act what is going on internally within the character.

Anyways...I didn't mean to bombard you with critique...but like I said, It is a great job for the first lip sync. You will only get better, keep Going!!

Old 04-11-2005, 07:31 PM   #4
2hands
Wannabe

Dan Caylor
Canada, Canada

Well thanks for the critiques. I really appreciate them. I worked on the twinning a lot already, but I guess it's too subtle to see. I'll push it more. As for the balance, I'll fix that right away, alot of that might have to do with the back leg popping for a couple frames, which I don't know how to fix.

I was not familiar with contrapposto, thank you for that.

Thanks again

Old 04-11-2005, 07:31 PM   #5
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread