"Tiny drives set for space boost" BBC

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 04 April 2005   #1

I thought this was interesting. I wonder how much this will eventually impact our desktop machines.

T.

DWIII Entry

Old 04 April 2005   #2
Bigger iPods. A terabyte = 240,000 songs, according to that BBC story. A quick calculation tells me that at 4 minutes per song, it would allow 2 years of continuous music, non-stop, without playing the same song twice. This is an achievement we will all look forward to!

Originally Posted by dmonk: I wonder how much this will eventually impact our desktop machines.

Well, LaCie today introduced the 2 Terabyte external Firewire hard drive...
http://www.lacie.com/products/product.htm?pid=10610

That's 2 Terabytes on a single drive! Hmmm... one terabyte = 2 years of music, then 2 terabytes = 4 years of music...

Control the media and you control the people

Old 04 April 2005   #3
That is very cool!

Not just for music, but just storage in general. I now we just need to speed up how fast we can transfer data.

DWIII Entry

Old 04 April 2005   #4
Originally Posted by Beamtracer: Bigger iPods. A terabyte = 240,000 songs, according to that BBC story. A quick calculation tells me that at 4 minutes per song, it would allow 2 years of continuous music, non-stop, without playing the same song twice. This is an achievement we will all look forward to!

Well, LaCie today introduced the 2 Terabyte external Firewire hard drive...
http://www.lacie.com/products/product.htm?pid=10610

That's 2 Terabytes on a single drive! Hmmm... one terabyte = 2 years of music, then 2 terabytes = 4 years of music...

that or about 200 DVDs

Old 04 April 2005   #5
For $1500, If I actually needed something that massive, I'd go for it.

DWIII Entry

Old 04 April 2005   #6
seems kinda scary to be trusting 2 terrabites of data on a single external harddrive. It should come with a built in tape back-up system, cause man that would suck to trust that much data on a single drive

Old 04 April 2005   #7
The LaCie thing is actually 4 drives striped..you can still lose some info if one of them dies, but it's unlikely they'd all go out at the same time. Just like any other drive otherwise, you take your chances if you need the space..heh.

Good to see the XYZ storage stuff finally making it into production though, or about to..they've been pimping that stuff for years (or various higher end forms of it, remember the 'sugar cube' drives?) and until now no one's really done anything with it. It'll eventually impact everything, the article says they plan to use it everywhere, they're just putting it where it can do the most immediate good first..laptop drives definitely need it the most right now, would be way nicer to have a few hundred gigs IN the laptop rather than carting around a pile of drives. More, more, more..too much is never enough.

Old 04 April 2005   #8
Originally Posted by musicraker: seems kinda scary to be trusting 2 terrabites of data on a single external harddrive. It should come with a built in tape back-up system, cause man that would suck to trust that much data on a single drive

Everyone who is serious (and seriously afraid) about their data, get a mirror drive.

Animusing Productions
old animation stuff.

Old 04 April 2005   #9
Also, anyone with an IBM Deathstar drive is in danger of data loss.

If this is your drive, replace it before it suffers the infamous IBM Deathstar "click-of-death".

Here's a message board full of tales of woe from people who had IBM Deathstar hard drives...
http://blog.thedevins.com/archives/000038.php

Control the media and you control the people

Old 04 April 2005   #10
Originally Posted by dmonk: For $1500, If I actually needed something that massive, I'd go for it.

I remember when my employers bought 1TB of drive space just a few years ago - it cost thousands upon thousands of dollars...

Old 04 April 2005   #11
Originally Posted by Cman: I remember when my employers bought 1TB of drive space just a few years ago - it cost thousands upon thousands of dollars...

Heh, what's more ridiculous is that 1TB of regular internal storage is probably about $500 or even less if you catch some deals..these things only cost that much because they're external, FW800, and snazzy.

But then of course the flipside is that HDTV production is everywhere, film work is edging towards higher res, higher bit depth is more common, more layers, more complex shots in greater numbers, etc. etc. as cheap as storage keeps getting, there'll always be something to fill it

Old 04 April 2005   #12
I wish they would put more time and effort into designing fail-safe drives that we can actually trust and not have to worry about our files being corrupted all the time.

Old 04 April 2005   #13
Hmm, interesting but hardly a change of pace - just sounds like the hard drive version of Moores Law will continue apace. They're talking 5-7 years for a tenfold increase. That's no different to the past few years, and means a 60Gb minidrive in that time, not terabyte.

Nice to know regardless! And yes, let's hope the desktop versions are reliable.

Old 04 April 2005   #14
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread