VFS Animation - "A Gift From Santa"

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 03 March 2005   #1
VFS Animation - "A Gift From Santa"

Hi everyone,
I finally graduated from Vancouver Film School, and this is my first attempt on an animation short. It's a cute little piece made for kids. Made entirely with Softimage XSI.

I would really appreciate comments and feedback.

I am also looking for a lighting or animation job.

"A Gift From Santa"
http://www.vfs.com/~3d49sue/SueSanta.mov

(right click and "save target as")

Thank you very much! Enjoy.

Old 03 March 2005   #2
Thumbs up So cute

The little penguin (Peley ?) is very cute, I like the acting when he is sleeping and walking .... that's soooooooooo cute ~~

Last edited by stung : 03 March 2005 at 08:42 PM.

Old 03 March 2005   #3
your link doesn't work.

Old 03 March 2005   #4
Definitely some very awesome content for a kids show. i like the lighting and the story. well done!

Originally Posted by aylora: your link doesn't work.

here's a mirror and a much smaller version of the reel. (22mb)

http://www.3dnick.com/SueReel.mov

Right click and "save target as"

Last edited by nickchong : 03 March 2005 at 07:27 PM.

Old 03 March 2005   #5
Thumbs up such a cute story and nice animation reel

hi
I love your story. It's so cute. Nice animation, sets, lighting and great camera movements.
I believe you will have a job pretty soon.

Old 03 March 2005   #6
Cute~!

hey Sue ~
cute
story love it always makes me smile
...keep animating

Old 03 March 2005   #7
I'm beginning to wonder if the VFS students aren't granting 5 stars to people who are their "mates." Until a few weeks ago with the current flood of VFS stuff, stars were few and far between. Anyway, since your film is rating 5 stars at the moment- I guess I'll give it my opinion (worth what ya paid for it).

I like the story. Considering its audience, it hits about the right tone. I think the pacing is a little slow.

The characters are appealing, but the environments you put them in seemed disjointed, incomplete, and without an overall design sense as to what you wanted each location to say to the viewer. No emotional sense or conenction to any of them for me. And the characters seemed to just "be" in the sets without owning them- not much reflection of their characters to their rooms or the outside of the house, for example.

The animation is pretty floaty throughout. Characters appear to bear no weight in their walks. They also seemed little stiff- slow moving?

While there were moments in the short where I could "see" the characters thinking- as when Penguin comes back without milk and the girl sort of gives him a look, this happened too infrequently in the film, for me- there were lots of "thinking" moments without the character actually appearing to think- eye movement too limited? Head positioning too trite?

Good job locking down the camera mostly and using it in motion sparingly- allowed me to focus on the story being told by the actors- however- the framing to the shots didn't add much to the story unfolding.

Ok, sorry to rain on this parade of and , but I thought maybe you'd like an honest opinion rather than kudos from a friend.

Bottom line: CONGRATS on finishing something so lengthy and difficult, I'm not unaware of the effort that entails.

Old 03 March 2005   #8
Damned slow-ass VFS servers!
Just adding my voice to the sea of complaints that always swells at VFS reel time, hoping we'll bug em enough to invest in something better.
-hen

Old 03 March 2005   #9
Yeah theres a lot of VFS students demo reels on this thread. Did you all finsih same time or is semester over with.

Old 03 March 2005   #10
Question Just a little bit things I want to comment

Originally Posted by Dearmad: I'm beginning to wonder if the VFS students aren't granting 5 stars to people who are their "mates." Until a few weeks ago with the current flood of VFS stuff, stars were few and far between. Anyway, since your film is rating 5 stars at the moment- I guess I'll give it my opinion (worth what ya paid for it).

I like the story. Considering its audience, it hits about the right tone. I think the pacing is a little slow.

The characters are appealing, but the environments you put them in seemed disjointed, incomplete, and without an overall design sense as to what you wanted each location to say to the viewer. No emotional sense or conenction to any of them for me. And the characters seemed to just "be" in the sets without owning them- not much reflection of their characters to their rooms or the outside of the house, for example.

The animation is pretty floaty throughout. Characters appear to bear no weight in their walks. They also seemed little stiff- slow moving?

While there were moments in the short where I could "see" the characters thinking- as when Penguin comes back without milk and the girl sort of gives him a look, this happened too infrequently in the film, for me- there were lots of "thinking" moments without the character actually appearing to think- eye movement too limited? Head positioning too trite?

Good job locking down the camera mostly and using it in motion sparingly- allowed me to focus on the story being told by the actors- however- the framing to the shots didn't add much to the story unfolding.

Ok, sorry to rain on this parade of and , but I thought maybe you'd like an honest opinion rather than kudos from a friend.

Bottom line: CONGRATS on finishing something so lengthy and difficult, I'm not unaware of the effort that entails.

Hi sweety, I just checked your web site and watched ur "firefly animation", try to give you some useful feebacks:

1. I didn't see any walk cycle to show your animation skill.
2. Don't you know how to turn on or off shadows and intensity of light.
3. Your transitions and cuts are very abrupt
4. your story for fireflies does not make sense as i don't see the focus on your subject throughout. I think you need to do a little art direction in that sense....
5. i didnt see any secondary motions/ follow throughs in your animation.
6. the flight of the fireflies dont have any weight, needless to say nor does your characters.
7.Finally, your animation is worse than "floaty".

I don't think "A Gift From Santa" is floaty, rather to me it looks like a limited style animation.

Last edited by stung : 03 March 2005 at 02:50 AM.

Old 03 March 2005   #11
hey Dearmad

i guess you did not read before you started posting
  1. "Be courteous and polite". Show respect to the opinions and feelings of others. Use of the forums is a privilege, not a right.
  2. "Engage your brain before your mouth". You are responsible for your own words and any harm they may cause.
  3. "Don't dilute the forums with irrelevant and unnecessary fluff". CGTalk is a professional, moderated forum.
MAKE SURE
YOU FOLLOW THEM ... !!

NOT BEING RUDE BUT TRY TO APPRECIATE THE HARD WORK BEHIND EVERY PIECE..

Last edited by Marsinfur : 03 March 2005 at 08:22 AM.

Old 03 March 2005   #12
thanks so much for the smile, it was really good, i needed to smile, young love hurts a 16 year old :(... yeah youve probably all been there, first love first kiss, then its over in a heartbeat, this animation made me smile, i like the story, makes me want to make a short, if i knew anythuing about rigging that is haha!

Old 03 March 2005   #13
Hi

I was downloading the movie however after I read replies I stopped. I won't watch this film because of the attitudes presented above.

Why anyone would post a movie here? Everyone to cheer or to clap? I don't wanna believe it. Main aim should be to improve. And this forum is an open source anybody can represent their ideas. These ideas, whether they dissapoint you, are IDEAS. Believe or not. Just listen. You don't have to offend or take it personal or attack.

So who am I to post any critiques? I cannot dare. I guess Carlos Baena or Bobby Boom will post soon. So no need to download.

Thanks.
ps: check out my website. I suck.

Old 03 March 2005   #14
Hey, is VFS a religious cult or something ? You can't criticize or your family will receive mortal threats ?? Haha, sorry but your reactions are too funny.

I agree totally with what Dearmad said, and I think it's pointless to start criticizing his work, as this isn't the point. We are here to put comments and critics on 3d49sue's animation.
Dearmad was honest, and frankly I didn't find him offensive at all, I thought he said everything with tact and with good examples, to help 3d49sue improve her skills.

"Marsinfur said : with this attitude you wouldnt be in the cg industry for a longtime"

I guess you are not in the CG industry for long, because unfortunately it is a 90% technical industry (rather then creative). And people WILL tell you right to your face that you are not good enough or that you are... No one will try to find the good part in something you're showing them if they think you're not good enough to work for them.

Now lets go back to 3d49sue's animation. I wasn't going to post anything until I saw your comments, but now that I did I have to talk about the animation itself.

I think the story is cute, and probably works well with children. I do agree that the animation is floaty, but it is the kind of floaty animation you see on 3D tv series... so if this is your aim, I think you could find a job in that field (if you work fast, because don't forget a series is an animation twice as long, and one each week...).
As for the lighting ( because you say you want to work in lighting), it is very poor in my opinion. The render is really 3Dish, the lighting doesn't reflect a particular mood... I really don't think you are suited to work with lighting. Again you often see this kind of lighting on tv series for children... but this kind of simple lighting is chosen to accelerate the render process, and I doubt there is a person working only on the lighting.

And just to finish, I think honest and constructive criticism can truly help someone. As fake exclamations and "two thums up"s, can only help that same person hit the wall harder once they find out how the industry is.
Now I truely believe 3d49sue can find a job, I just think she should be more aware of her strenghts and weeknesses.

P.S: VFS GOD, have mercy on my poor blasphematory soul !

Old 03 March 2005   #15
Not 3d49Sue's fault

Anybody who was thinking of posting on 3d49sue's thread, or watching 3d49sues reel, but decided not too because of this thread, Please reconsider. If you want to post ABOUT this thread, or VFS, is it possible to start a new one? ie "vfs: whats the deal?"
The reason is I dont think any of this is 3d49sue's fault. She just wants to show her work.

Now back to the show: (waiting for download)
Ok a few critiques, I think the head is a little swimmy in places, fortunately the curves are tight enough that it doesnt get too distracting. Theres stiffness, (the dog walk cycle in particular), "the big yellow bag" and "the big green bag" (ha ha ha) could use some more overlap and follow through when Moe is leaving the scene. Petey is very off-balance when he looks down at the homeless boy for the first time. The scarf on Peteys walk cycle has no drag (first shot), and since its a cycle, some time should have been afforded. Theres some awkward movements as well, ie (Peteys surprised jump, More stepping off porch step, Petey jumping on chair). Seems like timing problems. Blocking will help alot.

Im actually jealous of something you have instinct for. I find some moments in your reel, the same as Dearmad did, that are the key (for me) to fantastic animation. They are the "subtlies of character" as Chuck Jones said; thinking moments, changes of expression, sympathetic situations and natural poses, that add life and charm to characters. I can see these kinds of moments in your reel. The biggest one for me is the homeless kid; just the way you posed his face, his mouth slightly open, the blanket rising and falling under his breath. It felt real, and it fit in your piece; had just the right emphasis and wasnt overdone. Things like that are conciously skipped over by too many of us, but sooo Important. The way Petey takes off his glasses to look at the label on the present, Petey carrying the dog, the way Moes shoulders slightly shrug when she is asking, "where's the milk?" The way Moe claps her hands when she is calling (the unfortunately slow/stiff) puppy. The great posing of Petey, in bed, not sleeping, (right before his foot starts floating). I like the way Moe pushes up the little puppies chest, repositioning him on her lap. Also, the way the dog behaves in the storefront, (but its in danger of being overdone) The way Petey reaches over and slides himself to his computer, I even like when he is counting his change.
Ok, so work on making nicer physical movements to help sell these types of moments, and you'll be well ahead of me.

Thread Closed share thread