CGTalk > Sponsored Challenges and Awards > Past Challenges (Archives) > Older Challenges (before 2007) > CG Challenge XVII - Master and Servant - 2D
Login register
Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Old 03-26-2005, 04:28 PM   #1
Aradiael
Veteran

Stefano Azzalin
Italy

Send a message via MSN to Aradiael
Master and Servant 2D Entry: Stefano Azzalin

Stefano Azzalin has entered the Master and Servant 2D.

Challenge Page

Latest Update: Final Image: Damned Souls

...And the final image!!

Damn, it was really a rush to finish it in time. I hoped I could uload it yesterday, but I didn't have time...

There where so many things to do that I needed to put an end to it, still I could have been working on it for days.
Probably, it came out a little much full and chaotic, but I still like the overall mood.
I'm sorry I was unable to add those details someone suggested, but time inesorably runned out and I had to submit it. I probably even forgot to work on some parts of it for the hurry!

Really thanks to everyone who stopped by, it was a very enjoyable experience.

Good luck to everyone! ^_^

P.S.
And now I can rest my hand. The last two days it hurted for how much I drew!
Next time I take part to a challenge I don't want to see a human figure in no ways, aaaargh!!

Last edited by Aradiael : 05-09-2005 at 03:09 PM.

Old 03-26-2005, 04:33 PM   #2
NOOB!
yep.
Angelous Ruben
South Africa

enjoy ureself and gud luck

Old 03-29-2005, 02:23 PM   #3
Aradiael
Veteran

Stefano Azzalin
Italy

Thanks Noob!

Now let me introduce myself:
Ok, this is my very first time on a cgtalk challenge. I missed the space opera challenge, but I cannot allow myself to miss this one: the subject itís too interesting!

The idea about the image Iím working on, came to me just after reading description of this contest: whatís better to portray the relationship between master and servants than a demon ruling over the souls of the damned in hell?

I imagine it as a place full of human figures, naked and contorting for the pain and the urge to serve their new owner, damned for the eternity.

I recently saw a documentary about Michelangelo and I was greatly inspired by his "Last judgement" (I hope it is called so in English): all those bodies painted by the master have an incredible sense of movement and strength.

Obviously, I donít want to compare myself with him, but Iíll do my best to put strength and action in this image.

Thanks in advance to everyone who will help me with comments and critiques, and good luck to everyone, ití going to be fun!

P.S.

Iím usually not a big fun of the dark and gloomy at all costs, this time as gone that wayÖ

Old 03-29-2005, 02:25 PM   #4
Aradiael
Veteran

Stefano Azzalin
Italy

Concept Sketch: Concept sketch

This is the concept sketch Iíve done for this image. I tried three other points of view, two with the horizon on a different height and one at ĺ back of the throne, but this was the one that satisfied me more and gave me a good plane to fill with figures 
The scene takes place, quite obviously, in an environment full magma, flames and smoke. These should give me a good lighting from the bottom to generate a dark and contrasted scene.
Itís not so visible in this sketch, but the throne where the demon sit is made of ďlivingĒ bodies.

Old 03-29-2005, 03:23 PM   #5
Aradiael
Veteran

Stefano Azzalin
Italy

Concept Sketch: Living throne

before starting to draw the final drawing I have to define some things: one those is the throne formed with human figures.
this is what I have done. I don't think I can get this definition in the final image, but it's good to have all the possible things already defined before starting colouring :)

Old 03-29-2005, 03:29 PM   #6
YusufArtun
Pumpkin King

Yusuf Artun
Istanbul, Turkey

good concept, good luck.

Old 03-29-2005, 04:07 PM   #7
eupee
Frequenter

Simon Chataway
Australia

evil

you got skill! This is going to be interesting to see it progress... great composition, great idea, although a little "evil". Ha, but il be waiting how you will draw the demon, and how the expressions will turn out on the humans. Il be watching!!!

MachineFlesh entry: No Strings Attached

Old 03-29-2005, 04:07 PM   #8
Tranchefeux
Of my better (van Eyck)

portfolio
Eric Tranchefeux
Painter Illustrator
Freelance
Paris, France

Hi,

They is very cool, I waits to see the continuation.

Old 03-29-2005, 11:42 PM   #9
Ichthus
Veteran
Jonathan Joseph Kui
Philippines

This is very interesting. Cant wait to see how it develops.

Old 03-29-2005, 11:46 PM   #10
marcheen
Frequenter
Marcin Ciecierski
student
Poland

i have to agree with the rest- this IS interesting. now you can't keep us waiting for too long to see it develope. good luck!!

Old 03-29-2005, 11:55 PM   #11
Arc80

Good start dude. I like the gestures and poses of the people.
Right now, it's kind of reminding me of one of Michaelangelo's works (one of the pieces in sispine chapel) and how he sculpt's and draws his figures.

GoodLuck,
Archie

Old 03-30-2005, 01:22 PM   #12
Aradiael
Veteran

Stefano Azzalin
Italy

thanks to everyone
I cannot check the forum too often, because I'm actually without an internet connection at home, so I can get to cgtalk only once a day...

Eupee:
I hope I can do a good job on the expressions. it' the most difficult thing to achieve on a human figure for me

Old 03-30-2005, 01:30 PM   #13
Aradiael
Veteran

Stefano Azzalin
Italy

Concept Sketch: Demon sketch

one possible aspect of the demon.
I'm not very satisfied with the result, but I have to choose between a simple and very human aspect like this or something more complex; but I have to consider that he won't be too big in the final image, so something too much elaborated could be not very "readable"...

Old 03-30-2005, 01:33 PM   #14
Aradiael
Veteran

Stefano Azzalin
Italy

mmmmh, I have to remember that cgtalk adds a level of sharpening next time I post something...

Old 03-30-2005, 01:56 PM   #15
digiscape
Frequenter

yeah they shrink your image if its too big just click on it for full size.

i love the idea great life drawing project i couldn't take on such a task but it looks like you have the skill to do it. i think you need to work on the devil a bit hes not evil enough yet for me :(

i seen the mummy returns the other day there is a scene of hell with 1000's of souls climbing over each other near magma maybe you should rent it out might help for reference :P

Thread Closed share thread