Game Industry Article: Unionization Now?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  03 March 2005
Game Industry Article: Unionization Now?

Gamasutra has an article up regarding the unionization of the game industry.
http://www.gamasutra.com/features/2.../hyman_01.shtml

It's a few days old but I haven't seen it mentioned yet.

Thoughts?
 
  03 March 2005
dear god, no.

the last thing the industry needs is more whining and primadonnas.
__________________
bent...
bentllama
...
 
  03 March 2005
The game industry would collapse. It doesn't work like that.

Look at Japan, as far as I know, there are no unions over there, and they produce 70% of all quality AAA-games out there.
__________________
 
  03 March 2005
Originally Posted by Maverick3d: Gamasutra has an article up regarding the unionization of the game industry.
http://www.gamasutra.com/features/2.../hyman_01.shtml

It's a few days old but I haven't seen it mentioned yet.

Thoughts?


Well nobody wants it, but EA is 'asking' for it in the way they behave. I think only EA employees should have a union, just because the company is so big.
__________________

 
  03 March 2005
Unions are not saviors. They can end up bieng more opressive and tryanical than the employers they were organized against. At the very least it is one more authority you have to answer to in the workplace. Check out this site: http://www.nrtw.org/ and ask yourself if you want to risk the game industry to face the kinds of issues workers on that site are facing.
 
  03 March 2005
Originally Posted by The Flux: Well nobody wants it, but EA is 'asking' for it in the way they behave. I think only EA employees should have a union, just because the company is so big.


I agree here, but what's so bad about a Union though? Even for small gaming houses?

-M
__________________

 
  03 March 2005
Originally Posted by bentllama: dear god, no.

the last thing the industry needs is more whining and primadonnas.


Yeah, slavedriving is much much better.
__________________
Maestro 2 is out!
 
  03 March 2005
Originally Posted by bentllama: dear god, no.

the last thing the industry needs is more whining and primadonnas.


is that meant to be ironic?



anyway...personally i think unions are a double edged sword, they fill up the vacuum left by poor or loose employment legislation but in the end the only thing that becomes empowered is the union itself and power all to easily corrupts.

In London in the late 70s unions were black booking studios, if you didnt join they pressured their union shops not to give you work...it didnt matter if you were for the union or even if your employees were for or against the union, they wanted your subs and vote and didnt care how they were going to get it or what they did with it.

In the end a lot of the unions were smashed when it was basically shown they were obstructing progress into changing and developing markets.

There does need to be good employee regulation in the industry...those who say its whining are normally the ones who are willing to do anything in order to keep their place...part of the problem in the first place, the insecure and willingly exploited.

Ask yourself this, why is it often that the games industry is the lowest paid, longest hours and has a lowest talent threshold compared to other creative industries?
 
  03 March 2005
It seems there are too few people on this forum that believe unionization is the way to go. Let me ask you guys? What kind of knowledge do you have of labor history? Were your parents or grandparents union workers?

Labor unions are often very corrupt, racist, and inefficient. Here in NYC, much of the organized-labor in the construction field is mob run. But these problems don't exist because of the idea of unionization. They exist because the corruption is often rooted in the fact that the labor leaders sell their fellow workers out and side with management.

From what I understand (and as stated above), the teamsters in the film industry are corrupt. But they work in a field in which producers won't make a film unless they are guarenteed a HUGE profit, the directors are constantly catered to, and the actors and actressed need to have someone wipe their asses for them. In otherwords, corruption runs very deep in Hollywood. Does that make teamster corruption okay? Of course not. But if anything, they are at the bottom of the barrel.

Unions have given a voice to workers and have allowed them to negotiate a fair wage and working conditions. The gaming industry (and the CG and design industry in general) would benifit from this.
 
  03 March 2005
Originally Posted by halo: is that meant to be ironic?


in my honest personal opinion, unions would just add more complaint and pretention to an industy in which it is already abundant...overflowing even...

we already have employers and employees dishing out both whine and pomp, why add a third party for an even greater headache?

whine x3
pomp x3
_______

no thanks
__________________
bent...
bentllama
...
 
  03 March 2005
Originally Posted by bentllama: in my honest personal opinion, unions would just add more complaint and pretention to an industy in which it is already abundant...overflowing even...

we already have employers and employees dishing out both whine and pomp, why add a third party for an even greater headache?

whine x3
pomp x3
_______

no thanks


Well, you have to remember, not everyone is as fortunate as you are, working for a company that treats you well. Also, not everyone has the guts to stand up to employee abuse--most just take it in order to get that paycheck and stay employed in the game industry--particularly true of fresh blood that dreamed of working in games since they were kids. Some companies are more than happy to exploit fresh blood like that.

Last edited by Lunatique : 03 March 2005 at 09:12 AM.
 
  03 March 2005
Originally Posted by bentllama: in my honest personal opinion, unions would just add more complaint and pretention to an industy in which it is already abundant...overflowing even...

we already have employers and employees dishing out both whine and pomp, why add a third party for an even greater headache?

whine x3
pomp x3
_______

no thanks


right, so now we have the flippant remark stage over and we're discussing the issue...

you say there's a lot of moaning, well, people will moan yes, but if a lot of people are moaning about the same thing then surely theres a slim possibility that their complaint is legitimate. Also, I'll bet you that despite the level of complaint that you see, hear or read the amount the employer receives directly is tiny. ...people tend to bitch to their collegues, friends and associates a lot more than they will directly to their employer, sometimes because their complaint isn't entirely well founded and other times because they are scared of losing their job. Unions can give a barrier of representation of employee gripes without having to point the finger at who made the complaint.
 
  03 March 2005
For slave driving you need 2 things:

#1 a slave driver
#2 a slave being driven

I argue that in both these cases you are there yourself making the choice, either working for a slave driver or allowing yourself to be driven as a slave : both are in fact choices.

Stop acting like a victim. If you are not happy with your situation: act! You have the freedom of choice.

E.
__________________
Power is nothing without intelligence.
 
  03 March 2005
Originally Posted by erik2003: For slave driving you need 2 things:

#1 a slave driver
#2 a slave being driven

I argue that in both these cases you are there yourself making the choice, either working for a slave driver or allowing yourself to be driven as a slave : both are in fact choices.

Stop acting like a victim. If you are not happy with your situation: act! You have the freedom of choice.

E.


You should send a mass-email over to EA.
__________________
Maestro 2 is out!
 
  03 March 2005
In my work, we have union representation. I can tell you from experience that a union is basically a political entity with it's own motives. Don't automatically assume that by having one, they'll go out and solve all one's work problems. They have their own agenda.

Also, the statement that complaining to a union may provide anonymity(sp?) may not be correct. There is always a record on who files a greivance. And, from my experience, our bosses will look out to see who the problem childs are. Fortunately for us, I work as a civil servant, so we can't be canned very easily. Dunno how this'll apply to the corporate world, but I'm very interested to see how this all develops, since I'm hoping to one day switch over.

cW
__________________
"Just keep swimming, just keep swimming...."
 
Thread Closed share thread



Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
CGSociety
Society of Digital Artists
www.cgsociety.org

Powered by vBulletin
Copyright 2000 - 2006,
Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Minimize Ads
Forum Jump
Miscellaneous

All times are GMT. The time now is 01:52 PM.


Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.