Master and Servant 3D Entry: Christopher Catizzone

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 03 March 2005   #1
Master and Servant 3D Entry: Christopher Catizzone

Christopher Catizzone has entered the Master and Servant 3D.

Challenge Page

Latest Update: Final Image: finished, yay!

So to recap, my concept was:

"a Knight and his Steed"

I wanted to show a master-servant relationship that was less about subjugation and more about loyalty. Here we see the knight praising his faithful steed... the steed just happens to be a 1600 lbs. flying reptile. I also gave the knight modern equipment and clothing because there's no rule saying that dragons could only exist in the middle ages.

Comments always welcome.

Last edited by ChrisThatGuy : 05 May 2005 at 05:11 AM. Reason: typos

Old 03 March 2005   #2
Concept Sketch: A knight and his steed.

When I read the title of the competition, I went through a few concepts in my head and settled on this one almost right away. A kind of fantasy / sci-fi riff on an old concept, I guess. I just hope I can find time to get this one done. Such a shorter deadline than last time.

Comments / crits always welcome.

Old 03 March 2005   #3
Nice looking art-nice idea

Old 03 March 2005   #4
Modeling: box modelling

I begin by modelling from a single polygon box, instanced and mirrored down the x axis, extruding and cutting faces and moving vertices.

Old 03 March 2005   #5
This will be intresting to follow Good luuk

Old 03 March 2005   #6
Modeling: more modelling

Continuing to model the dragon. Notice that it isn't a seamless body. This is because the knight will be obscuring the bulk of the dragon, hiding the seams. Why do extra work that will only be hidden, right? I'm also roughing out parts for the knight on my other computer; I'll have to post some of them when I get back to it.

Old 03 March 2005   #7
hey hey

Nice additions to you dragon . . he looks preatty draogony . but he could be dragonier. I hope that is useful advise. but seriously, the face already has alot character to it. I can't wait to see it textured. One question; are you gonna add any teeth to the dragon? Or is it gonna be one of them sissy dragons? Anyway, keep up the good work. Alexi.

Old 04 April 2005   #8
Modeling: background

Blocking out the background mountains. Again, using box modelling. I think my teachers drilled the whole "quads = good, n-sided = bad" mantra into my head so much that I do it by default now.

Old 04 April 2005   #9
Modeling: more terrain

Now I've smoothed the mountains and gone over them with the polygon sculpt tool. They will pretty much stay this way until I can assemble them into the composition file with the dragon and knight, so that I don't end up spending time on details that will be obscured.

Old 04 April 2005   #10
More comments

those smooth mountains are much better then the square ones . .how'd you do that? Anyway, they look cool .. . it's a much better idea then just doing a painting for the background. Now you can get all kinds of cool light and shadow effects. Is that a canyon running through the center or some kind of river? And when will we get to see the main character guy? Good stuff so far. Alexi.

Old 04 April 2005   #11
Modeling: Dragon shapes

The basic shapes of the dragon. Enough to put him into the scene with the knight at least. Yeah, I know, I've been slacking off a bit. I need to pick up the pace this week.

Old 04 April 2005   #12
Talking

i ll be a nice dragon, i like your idea.

Old 04 April 2005   #13
wow

can't wait to see your knight
very excellent

Old 04 April 2005   #14
Modeling: Some props

I've started doing some of the props for the dragon and the knight. Holy crud, am I ever behind schedule... If you see a whole lot of progress all of a sudden in the next shot, it may be because I'll finally just sit down and work this week. I hope.

Old 04 April 2005   #15
Hi

Ur geting it,,the effort is to be tramendous if you plane to fnish it,,just the same as I am.
I especcilay like the saddle for the dragon,,I might steal some design parts for my dino creature,but then again there is no other way to put saddle on a dragon or dinosaur,,is it,,

Thread Closed share thread