Master and Servant 2D Entry: Craig Bruyn

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 03 March 2005   #1
Master and Servant 2D Entry: Craig Bruyn

Craig Bruyn has entered the Master and Servant 2D.

Challenge Page

Latest Update: Final Image: finally complete

That's it folks. All done. This is the submitted final image. Just added a few final touches. It's been fun. Thanx to everyone that helped me with comments, it has been tremendously appreciated. Best of luck to everyone in the challenge, hope you enjoyed it as much as i did.
Moose Enterprise
craig@moosetoys.com

My Blog

Urban sketch thread

CG Challenge (Short Film)

Old 03 March 2005   #2
Concept Sketch: master and slave - conceptual (rage)

We(humanity) have become slaves of our own creation. More often than not we are driven by are emotions, puppets of our own raw feelings. One of these is rage, more often than not a product of our own frustrations created through a society that we ourselves devised. Remember we created the concept of measuring time, we created the working week, we set the guidelines for what is acceptable behaviour, and more often than not it is our struggle to acheive all these benchmarks that has created a growing frustration within us; a palpable inner beast that is conceived by our emotions and nw seeks to control us... This early sketch is an attempt to portray this symbiotic relationship visually.
Moose Enterprise
craig@moosetoys.com

My Blog

Urban sketch thread

Old 03 March 2005   #3
I like the sketch on the right most. Although the one on the left is an interesting angle. Keep going.

Old 03 March 2005   #4
Concept Sketch: conceptual - stage02

Starting to get a better feel for the composition and where i want to go with this. I want my character not only dominated by his symbiote master but also to be affected by his more subtle enviromental master. I will create a swamp like graveyard of old technology that symbolises the society that we created that has in turn controlled us.
Moose Enterprise
craig@moosetoys.com

My Blog

Urban sketch thread

Old 03 March 2005   #5
Lookin much better. I especially like the washing machine in the background. You should ad more stuff like that. Societys waste.

My Master & Servent Thread

Old 03 March 2005   #6
Really like

I really like where you are going with this... The most recent sketch is very nice.

Old 03 March 2005   #7
Coming along nicely. I think you're on a cool idea. Are the creatures going to have pupils in there eyes? Might be cool to have the little guy have his eyes rolled back in his head like he's in a trance. Only one small crit, the big guys right leg looks a bit too twisted around. I dont think you would be able to see the back of his calf muscle in that pose. What kind of colours are you thinking?

Old 03 March 2005   #8
i like these kind of ideas. the ones that you have to portrait with sumbols, and that, in my opinion, is not an easy task. i'll follow your entry to see how it will turn out. and nice sketches btw

Old 03 March 2005   #9
Originally Posted by Groady: Coming along nicely. I think you're on a cool idea. Are the creatures going to have pupils in there eyes? Might be cool to have the little guy have his eyes rolled back in his head like he's in a trance. Only one small crit, the big guys right leg looks a bit too twisted around. I dont think you would be able to see the back of his calf muscle in that pose. What kind of colours are you thinking?

thanks...nice call on the leg. I'll have to fix that. Thinking of using blueish/gray kinda washed out hues, with a bit of electrical energy around the master character.
Moose Enterprise
craig@moosetoys.com

My Blog

Urban sketch thread

Old 03 March 2005   #10
Yeah, I like Groadys idea about the eye's rolled back in the head. It'd be like he's not using his own eyes to see, but is looking through the eyes of the servent.

My Master & Servent Thread

Old 03 March 2005   #11
Line Art: servant character - line art (colour wip)

Have started to work up the servant character. Started with some inking and will now use the inks as a template to work up a more painted quality in photshop.
Moose Enterprise
craig@moosetoys.com

My Blog

Urban sketch thread

Old 04 April 2005   #12
Coloring WIP: Lineart and colouring WIP

Just finished the lineart on the symbiote create that controls the hulking muscular servant. Have also started to work on the colour up of the servant. The intention is to eventually drop all the black linework out of the finished product.
Moose Enterprise
craig@moosetoys.com

My Blog

Urban sketch thread

Old 04 April 2005   #13
Line Art: rough layout

Just threw a couple of the elements together to show a rough feel of the layout. Have now included a skyline on the horizon line that although will be used to symbolise a city is in fact discarded electrical appliances. The finished skyline will be mainly silohuetted.
Moose Enterprise
craig@moosetoys.com

My Blog

Urban sketch thread

Old 04 April 2005   #14
Looking good. Tell me, is this supposed to be an alien world/alternate earth/post apocalyptic earth etc.? Just interested.

Old 04 April 2005   #15
Originally Posted by Groady: Looking good. Tell me, is this supposed to be an alien world/alternate earth/post apocalyptic earth etc.? Just interested.

Yeah, it's not sort of supposed to be a direct reality, more of a symbolic one. A lot of the elements are purely symbolic, i.e, the servant character is not a real representation of a human being:- he represents raw emotion. The master is symbolic result created by the society we live in, that in turn manipulates our emotions, and the world in which they reside is a festering reflection of some of the elements that make up that society... wow, that was either really deep or just complete guff... you decide, haha.
(man i can waffle...)
Moose Enterprise
craig@moosetoys.com

My Blog

Urban sketch thread

Thread Closed share thread