How To Paint In Photoshop

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

03 March 2005
How To Paint In Photoshop

I need help painting in adobe photoshop, i really suck at it...anybody know any good books in painting in photoshop????? you can email me at reed247@mail.com

03 March 2005
If you suck at painting in Photoshop, it's because you need to learn how to paint, not how to use Photoshop. I'd recommend finding a local art school and taking some painting lessons.

03 March 2005
And I guess the big question is, are you using a drawing tablet?

03 March 2005
You can paint even with a mouse, if you bother to look at the tutorials.

03 March 2005
Not sure if your question is about Photoshop techniques or painting techniques... Either way, the key is to use lots of layers, and carefully place those layers... and use both the eraser and the airbrush... make sure to also use the real brush or pen/pencil... the key is taking the time to really look at what you are trying to paint and depict it on the canvas or alternatively know a lot about design and apply those rules to the canvas (for more minimalists/surreal styles, etc.)

03 March 2005
It's all about practice, Start with the basics....

Latest Work

03 March 2005
painting

I have a good backround in painting and drawing, it's the computer part that is a problem.
I guess I need to learn how to use the layers and alpha mask to paint the image, I usually just draw and add color, but photoshop I try to paint a nice image and it looks like shit compared to what I am capable of in real life, so I am looking for a book strictly on painting in photoshop, there does not seem to be any good books about this subject...they mostly just talk about photo manipulation

03 March 2005
After attending a day-long course at GDC last week ( the Don Seegmiller session for those that went too ), the best advice to begin, i think, is to draw with the most comfortable medium you have, if that's pencil, scan your image.. then start small.

a canvas of 600px long side is more than plenty, then block in colours with the 19px size brushes.. be confident and approximate with the strokes, but of course pay attention to the forms of the object you're sketching, and to how you anticipate/see light falling on the object..

then increase the canvas size with each increasing level of detail..
don't start on a 3000pixel image, that's just daft.

there was also a great trick with the healing tool on photoshop, to achieve the same effect as the blend in Painter.. Define a plain white 32x32 canvas as a pattern, then on your painting, drawn over two colours with the healing tool while it's set to "pattern", obviously - choose the pattern you just created.. it blends colours effortlessly..

Many Thanks Don.. -

I hope this helps a little

Nick.

03 March 2005
naaaahhh PS drives me nuts too, much prefer Painter for drawing or painting to be honest

03 March 2005
The matte painting videos by Yanick Dusseault are good.

http://www.thegnomonworkshop.com/dvds/ydu01.html

04 April 2005
Get "The Photoshop and Painter Artist Tablet Book -- Creative Techniques in Digital Painting" by Cher Threinen-Pendarvis, the author of Painter WOW books. It takes you through some painting exercies using photochop cs and painter 9. Link below:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...=glance&s=books

Here is a link to samples of book and tools:

http://peachpit.com/content/downloa...17/samples.html

Last edited by BeckyWC : 04 April 2005 at 04:38 PM.

04 April 2005
Originally Posted by marc001: The matte painting videos by Yanick Dusseault are good.

http://www.thegnomonworkshop.com/dvds/ydu01.html
Yes. I've noticed that there aren't many books about painting with Photoshop. There some magazines though that feature a lot of tips and tutorials (but the problem with print-zines is that you have to get a whole bunch of them, each with a 1-2 page articale that keeps continuing). Most of the paint-with-Photoshop method media I've seen are DVD vidoes.

04 April 2005
Originally Posted by erilaz: And I guess the big question is, are you using a drawing tablet?

i second that. im drawing good with pencil but never painted on computer with photoshop or anything else cause i dont have a tablet. im just going to buy one.

04 April 2005
Painting in real life and painting in photoshop are two diffrent things. Like how do you make the colors blend in photoshop, what kind of brush thingies do you use in photoshop, and where do you start.

Thats was my biggest problem. I didn't know where to start and to be honest I still would like some pointers on this stuff. All the tuts out there don't really teach you from a paining view.

Any way if I could help I would but I would like know the same thing.

Thread Closed share thread