Login register
Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Old 03-11-2005, 02:49 PM   #1
jmBoekestein
likes a flower =)...

portfolio
Jan Mark Boekestein
Netherlands

Send a message via ICQ to jmBoekestein Send a message via AIM to jmBoekestein Send a message via MSN to jmBoekestein
Post colour themed experiments, yes indeed...doodles

I wanted to develop my colour insight(since I actually have none). So I'm going to try different things completely based on colours themselves and what I want to do with them. Loads of fun with painter in very short bursts of creation. If you have anything to say whatsoever, like those colours seem very boring like that or I like that, please do if you have the time. You are witnessing the very first baby steps into coloromania by yours truly.

thanks for checking...

First up is colourThemed number 1: Hephaestos

and a modified version through equalise function:
modelling practice #1

Old 03-11-2005, 03:57 PM   #2
Ilikesoup
Soupy all night long

portfolio
Christopher Perdigao
Customer Service
Valspar Paint
Andover, USA

I can't get past the thought that the sphere is a baseball and you can see the stitching. Given that premise, the first image has a hazy sepia look like that of an old photo. The second has a warmer, more glorious look that would be used for a trophy or religious event. I know I'm imposing my own meaning, but it's the impression I got. Interesting experiment.

Old 03-11-2005, 04:42 PM   #3
jmBoekestein
likes a flower =)...

portfolio
Jan Mark Boekestein
Netherlands

Send a message via ICQ to jmBoekestein Send a message via AIM to jmBoekestein Send a message via MSN to jmBoekestein
exactly what I need, glad you stopped by.

thanks

weird that I painted a gate in my view...The doors to your subconscious have opened, beware...
modelling practice #1

Old 03-13-2005, 12:48 AM   #4
paperclip
Better than staples.

portfolio
Theresa Ryan
Freelance illustrator
Theresa Ryan Visual Development
Castlebar, Ireland

hi

In the first one, I think that your colours are nice and vivid in the outer edges, but once you work your way into the center, it gets a little too washed out....maybe the white/peach shouldn't be used together too much in contrast to the darker blues, at least not when you have something white in the center of attention...it takes away from the importance of the thing in the center...hmm, i'm learning here too!!

Your second one is way better. Wonderfully fiery colours and a lovely feeling of warmth and contrast. I'm actually taking notes here....'for important things in composition, surround it with a contrasting colour and avoid washing out.. just a little bit of washing is ok, gradations of tone, but then eventually you sort of lose your highlight.

Hope this helps!

Old 03-13-2005, 04:27 PM   #5
jmBoekestein
likes a flower =)...

portfolio
Jan Mark Boekestein
Netherlands

Thanks!

helps a great deal! I read somewhere in a post by Stahlberg that for instance the highlights should actually have only a value of about fifty to eighty percent. Makes a lot of sense what you're saying. The power of suggestion, is way more powerful then I thought.

Would you like to take a look at my queen of hearts entry? I'm not so sure of how to proceed. Well at least I'll try to make it all dark and contrasty, a bit like the second one . But I don't know about the placement and wether it comes across allright.

C Ya!
modelling practice #1

Old 03-24-2005, 07:29 AM   #6
jmBoekestein
likes a flower =)...

portfolio
Jan Mark Boekestein
Netherlands

Felt like doing another one!

Was fiddling with a more ethereal feel this time, I wanted it pretty intense at first but quickly got into a moredreamy thing.
Hope you like and please tell me what you think!
modelling practice #1

Old 03-24-2005, 07:34 AM   #7
Baki
Veteran
job?...um i need one(help out wont ya?)

1st one i feel is good for monsters, I feel like i amlooking into a beasts eye....a big beast
2nd one is great for inviorments, i am in a cave searching for incretible treasure
2rd one is a mythic myst of some kind..a final fantasy kind of feel......?
great experiments

Old 03-24-2005, 07:35 AM   #8
paperclip
Better than staples.

portfolio
Theresa Ryan
Freelance illustrator
Castlebar, Ireland

The purple at the bottom left goes well with the blue, but the green somehow desaturates it? Wonder why. It's beside blue on the colour wheel but you see that a lot in paintings. Maybe it's just an unbalanced light/dark contrast?

Old 03-24-2005, 09:26 AM   #9
jmBoekestein
likes a flower =)...

portfolio
Jan Mark Boekestein
Netherlands

Talking

Baki, that's a good guess on the last one! It's actually the river Styx, the river of souls you have to cross to get into the realm of the dead. Looks like I'm getting somewhere! Yippeee!

Paperclip,
Thanks for telling me that! I think it's exactly what is happening, the green mixed with the red in the hazes is mixing into a literally more grey colour because they cancel eachother out I think. Maybe I'll change it because it is bothering me a little bit.

btw, fyi, it's the same with blue and orange, try it with real paint. You'll find that they'll desaturate slowly and turn to grey or black, also red and green. The same happens if they're sort of close to complementary to eachother.
modelling practice #1

Last edited by jmBoekestein : 03-24-2005 at 11:02 AM.

Old 03-25-2005, 12:38 AM   #10
jmBoekestein
likes a flower =)...

portfolio
Jan Mark Boekestein
Netherlands

My noticed my latest doodle came out very flat on another monitor than my own. It's supposed ot be viewed at very contrasty settings, so maybe you can imagine more easily what I wanted it to be.

Cheers and you're free to let me know about anything you think of them.
modelling practice #1

Old 03-26-2005, 01:36 PM   #11
jmBoekestein
likes a flower =)...

portfolio
Jan Mark Boekestein
Netherlands

Styx update

Well here's an update on Styx, I think I fixed the desaturation.

modelling practice #1

Old 03-26-2005, 02:15 PM   #12
paperclip
Better than staples.

portfolio
Theresa Ryan
Freelance illustrator
Castlebar, Ireland

The desaturation is gone, but the whole image looks rather flat. There are no interest points, all the focal points are the same and so the entire image falls rather flat. You should have different focal points in different areas in the image which have different 'interest' strengths, maybe like one med. light part, one small red area, a biggish dark part and have them scattered very randomly....see how that looks then? Check out stahlberg's composition essay, it's great.

Old 03-26-2005, 02:50 PM   #13
jmBoekestein
likes a flower =)...

portfolio
Jan Mark Boekestein
Netherlands

Thanks paperclip!

I was afraid of that, maybe I can find a way to work mor green back into it without letting it appear as if it's desaturating, because it would make it more interesting I think. And ofcourse higher contrast.
modelling practice #1

Old 05-20-2005, 02:37 PM   #14
jmBoekestein
likes a flower =)...

portfolio
Jan Mark Boekestein
Netherlands

Photoshop brushes 0_o..

I made a brush with textures like described by Enayla in the art discussion forum, gave it a testride and ended up with this colour thingy. Ithought it was interesting, so I'll post it. Tried to put in some natural looking colours . Whatever that means.

modelling practice #1

Old 05-20-2005, 04:38 PM   #15
Elaeria
vorpal bunny

portfolio
Meredith
Waterloo, Canada

Send a message via ICQ to Elaeria Send a message via MSN to Elaeria
Ooo! I like this latest one. Nice work with the textures. I'm trying to think of what it reminds me of.

It looks rather smokey, and the colours are well blended. My favourite of your experiments so far. Would make a great background for your Muses!

~Ela~

Thread Closed share thread